IC7-G -- NON SYSTEM DISK

Old October 19th 03, 01:14 AM
Clyde

Default IC7-G -- NON SYSTEM DISK

Heelllppp!!!

Just replaced my SOYO Fire Dragon with the a new Abit IC7-G, 3.2GHz P4
and 2 sticks of Corsair memory. I'm not trying to overclock, just
using default settings.

After boot, I get an boot error (NON SYSTEM DISK) It boots OK to a
floppy disk. I've tried two different harddrives, one with Win98 and
one Win98/Win2K dual boots. Both give the non system disk message.

help help help help

Old October 19th 03, 03:35 AM
Clyde

I have discovered that the mobo will boot Win2K on my Western Digital
WD800 drive fine, but when I use my WD600 or IBM DeskStart 75GXP (both
have bootable Win2k partitions) it appears that the mobo is not
auto-detecting the drives correctly.

When I load Partition Magic in DOS, PM reports that the drive was
partitioned using a different specification. So it looks like the
mobo is using the wrong cylinders, heads, sectors for these 2 drives.
According to Hitachi/IBM, the Deskstar should be 16383 cylinders, 16
heads, 63 sectors, but these settings don't show up in the drive
configuration in the BIOS.

Old October 20th 03, 12:16 AM
- HAL9000

Shouldn't you be doing a repair install of the operating system? Here
is a page on how to do it in winxp.

Perhaps there is information specific for win2k somewhere on the web
site.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

Old October 20th 03, 03:07 AM
Clyde

It's hard to do a repair when the install disk wont run, complaining
about compressed drives or NTFS or missing a DOS partition (even
though the DOS partition is there and is active).

I finally ended up using fdisk to delete the DOD partition, then
recreate it, then using ghost to restore the data (Win98).

After all that, the system did recognize the two boot partitions and I
was able to stratup Win98. Only problem now is that after I install
the Intel 1GB LAN drivers, Win98 croaks. I have to go into safemode,
uninstall the LAN device, then Win98 will boot back up.

So now I'm doing an OS repair which is taking extremely long on this
box in DOS mode for some reason. The installer reports over an hour.
I don't recall it taking that long before.

Oh well, time for a coke break.