P5P800 Support New Dual Core CPU?

Old June 6th 05, 11:09 PM
Ken

Default P5P800 Support New Dual Core CPU?

Assuming a dual core is a good thing - will the P5P800 support the new Intel
cpu(s)? I currently have an ASUS P5P800 MB and a 3.2 GHz cpu that generates
a lot of heat and I had an Intel fan that generated a lot of noise when the
cpu was under a heavy load. Finally broke down and installed a Zalman 7700
cpu cooler and it solved the noise/cooling problem. Has Intel done anything
to cool down the new dual core cpu?

Old June 7th 05, 01:04 AM
Roland Scheidegger

Ken wrote:
Assuming a dual core is a good thing - will the P5P800 support the new Intel
cpu(s)?

Don't even think about that. The dual core cpus will not run on boards
with old chipsets, not even i915, much less i865 - you need i945/i955
for that (or nforce 4).

I currently have an ASUS P5P800 MB and a 3.2 GHz cpu that generates
a lot of heat and I had an Intel fan that generated a lot of noise when the
cpu was under a heavy load. Finally broke down and installed a Zalman 7700
cpu cooler and it solved the noise/cooling problem. Has Intel done anything
to cool down the new dual core cpu?

At least they aren't twice as hot :-). Performance per watt is certainly
better, but at the end of the day they still consume about as much power
at full load as the fastest single-core p4 cpus intel produces.

Roland