Help!

Old October 10th 11, 08:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Default Help!

On 10/9/2011 7:02 AM, Ben Myers wrote:
... Much easier to use that making a bootable
Windows CD with BartPE.

I have heard this complaint before. And I didn't recall it being a big
deal. So due to these complaints, I created another one from scratch and
I had a stopwatch this time. And it only takes 10 minutes to create a
BartPE iso image.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v3.0
Old October 10th 11, 08:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Been there done that (just recently!) I doubt our problems stemmed from the
same thing but Windows wouldn't boot for NOTHIN'! Couldn't boot from the XP
cd, couldn't chkdsk, couldn't start from the last good known configuration,
no safe modes, couldn't connect to a different pc as a storage drive. Ran
an assortment of programs the helpful guys here suggested but nothing
worked. The only thing that DID work was the suggestion to download and
burn an Ubuntu CD and boot from that, running the os from the CD. It could
see my contents and was able to save my files to a different drive. But I
needed IN so I could run a couple of programs to run their backups. Finally
broke down and took it to a comfuser fix-it shop. If he could get it going
just long enough to run those two programs, I'd be ok. He did. He just ran
chkdsk on Whaaaaaaat??? I tried that in the beginning and couldn't.
It's possible that all the "fix-it" programs I ran fixed it enough to run
chkdsk but I never tried it towards the end. Drive has bad sectors but it's
still up and running as we speak. I'm about done with it tho. I'll trash
the drive, put in a 160GB drive and install Vista on it and sell it. It's
still a good PC. It was a stupid human trick that broke the hdd BillW50
doesn't advocate Ubuntu and he knows a lot more about computers than I do,
but, it worked for me and I'm SO very glad someone here suggested it.
Monica
"Bob_Villa" wrote in message

On Oct 8, 10:51 am, "Al" wrote:
Aaargh! I hate Dell! My Dell Dim 9200 is unbootable and I need the photos
on
it. I have XP Media Center Edition installed on it. I have tried to boot
from an external usb hard drive, then a floppy drive connected internally
but the Dell system says it can't see my two internal satas!
I can't simply re-install XP until I get my files back, but how on earth
do
I do this?
Anyone?

Angela.

Access drive thru USB with adapter:
http://www.meritline.com/usb-2-0-sat...?source=fghdac

Old October 10th 11, 10:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

On 10/10/2011 2:43 AM, Monica wrote:
[...]

Don't you remember Monica? Ubuntu read your hard drive twice and on the
third time refused to even boot Ubuntu until you partly repaired it with
Windows utilities. Now Ubuntu could read it once again.

About 99.999% of people seemingly have this false belief that Ubuntu
Live doesn't write to a Windows drive. But this belief is completely
false. As it does write to the Windows drive. And if the file system is
corrupt like yours was, it could make things very much worse. And yours
did the third time Ubuntu booted. Now you needed a Windows utility to
undo the harm that Ubuntu had done.

I'm not against Ubuntu or anything. As I even have one computer with
Ubuntu installed. I just think it is so very important to also note the
dangers of Linux that people just doesn't talk about. And I think it is
silly not to talk about it.

Old October 10th 11, 01:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

I do remember that Bill. I can't even begin to know the what why or how.
It read fine for the first 3 times and then wouldn't boot. I didn't try
again for several days and then it booted...then it stopped again. Then I
started using the various "fix-it" programs and discovered that once again,
Ubuntu would boot. Whatever! lol I'm sure it writes to the drive if
you say so. I wouldn't have any idea. I just know it worked and I'll never
again get lazy again when it comes to backups. In fact, I'm going to learn
how to do a, what do you call it, a "system image"?? In the past I've just
been doing data backups.