Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?

Old April 22nd 05, 01:44 PM
Laura

Default Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently?

Has anyone gotten their OS Disk from Dell recently? I'm not having much
luck.

I called yesterday and got some dude from India. Not a pleasant conversation
at all. He insisted that their policy had changed in November and that they
no longer provide the disk. I explained that I knew several people that had
received their disks recently (this is based solely on the info in this
newsgroup).

I then tried to get a supervisor. He still was not very cooperative and it
was not until I said that if he did not get me a supervisor immediately that
I would be returning the 2 laptops. He relented and got me a supervisor.
This person was definitely not Indian. He explained that ONLY Tech Support
can provide that disk. I said fine but then your phone support needs to be
trained to pass folks over to tech support when asked for the disk. He
apologised for the other tech. Then he tried transfering me to Tech support
but because the queues were too long the recorded message said to call later
and I was disconnected.

I decided to try their chat but that did not go any better. The wait time
was 3 minutes but as the app finished loading I would get "page not found".
A refresh started the app again. I finally gave up.

Any suggestions from folks that have been sucessfull getting their disk
sent? What was your exact reason for requesting the disk? Maybe if we are
consistant in our reason then Dell might reconsider their new policy.

I am very frustrated at this and don't really know what to do next so any

TIA,
laura

Old April 22nd 05, 02:03 PM
Laura

wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 12:44:59 GMT, "Laura"
wrote:

[...]

I just bought a Dell. Forget getting a Disk out them. The were forced
to adopt the "no disk" policy because of MS's greed.

You better either learn how to use the full ASR(?) backup in your
Dell, or buy a drive imaging program like Acronis True image, or spend
a few hundred+ to buy the OS from MS. This is what MS wants: screw the
customer and force them to spend an additional couple of hundred
buying what should have been given to them in the first place.

Those are your choices. Life is too short to aggravate the hell outta
yourself trying to beat professional crooks like Gates and Dell.

I don't agree that we have to accept this policy. I also don't think that it
is MS's fault but rather it is Dell trying to cut costs. I've paid plenty
for these laptops and the decent thing for Dell to do is to provide the disk
for which I have a license for. Having a backup/recovery disk does you no
good if the hard drive fails. And I am not going to be forced into buying a
Dell drive with a new copy of XP if my current drive fails. But that is
exactly what is being proposed. I want my disk and folks have gotten them
recently. I just need some assistance on how to get it.

Old April 22nd 05, 05:06 PM
BigJIm

I received the OS disk and drivers after making a valid argument,
if you just ask for the disks they will not send them. Ask them this,
When the warranty expires and my hard drive goes bad is Dell going
to force me to buy a Hard Drive from them and are they going to charge me
for the OS to be installed on it. Whatever he says disagree, say you say
that now but what about 3 or 4 years down the road. Also ask them if they
would like the machine
back under the 30 return policy. Explain to them you have the right to
purchase
a hard drive from anyone and you have already paid to use the OS for as long
as you
own the machine. Hey, and what if I decide to upgrade my hard drive to a
larger one, do I have to buy it from Dell. Jeesssssss use your imagination.

Old April 22nd 05, 05:13 PM
BigJIm

Whatever dell you have go to their site and download all the drivers for it
and put it in a safe place,
if you know someone with a Dell computer who has an OS disk you can copy it
and use it for a reinstall, just use the xp cd key attached to your system.

Old April 22nd 05, 05:33 PM
joe_tide

I'm going through that exact same thing right now. I emailed tech support.
The first response was not at all related to what I asked for. I replied and
asked if anyone else wanted to give this request a shot. The next email said
they will send the OS disk to me. We will see.

Here's a brief synopsis of the emails if interested:

***************
Problem Description:

I did not receive an OS CD with my latest purchase as I have with past
orders.

Since this machine is one which will be used by various people for
fundraising purposes we will be formatting and re-installing the OS
quarterly. Please supply the Operating System CD.

***************

Thank you for contact Dell Technical Support. We look forward to working
with you to resolve your technical issue.

I understand the issue that you must be experiencing with the
operating system CD.

For information on this please refer to the attachment that I wish to
forward to you.

Thank you for contacting Dell.

Respectfully,
Neeraj
Dell Rep # DD5135

THE ATTACHMENT EXPLAINED HOW TO RESET THE DRIVERS

***************

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Does anyone else want to take a shot at this?

****************

Thank you for contacting Dell Technical Support.

I apologize for the problems you have encountered with your Dell system.
We appreciate the opportunity to work with you to resolve the situation.

I have submitted a request to ship the necessary replacement CD to you .

Service Call Number: 57145315

Thank you for contacting Dell.

Respectfully,
Navneet
Badge ID CB1736

Old April 22nd 05, 05:45 PM
Laura

"BigJIm" wrote in message
Whatever dell you have go to their site and download all the drivers for
it and put it in a safe place,

I was given the link to the drivers page by a friend. I will be downloading
the drivers over the weekend. I will also make the restore CD as a backup
too.

if you know someone with a Dell computer who has an OS disk you can copy
it and use it for a reinstall, just use the xp cd key attached to your
system.

At the moment I don't know anyone else with a new Dell with xp pro sp2
installed. I wondered if that was an option. I think any OEM install disk
will work with my CD key, IIRC. That's what my computer tech did last summer
when the HD failed on my old laptop. I did not have the disk with me at the
time so he used one of his own. I'll check with him next month when we are
in his area.

Old April 22nd 05, 06:14 PM
Jupiter Jones

Microsoft does not dictate whether Dell or any other OEM provides a CD.
That is strictly a choice Dell has made to save a few pennies.
Microsoft may be guilty of some things, but no CD is 99% dells fault.
The 1% can go to Microsoft because that is one of the many options given to
the OEMs.
But it was Dell who made the choice on behalf of their customers.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old April 22nd 05, 06:29 PM
Laura

That's my feeling too. I called Microsoft yesterday and was told that the
option to provide end customers with a CD is up to the OEM. It is purely a
cost cutting measure. Dell is banking (literally) on most clueless customers
not calling and requesting their previously provided CDs.

Old April 22nd 05, 06:56 PM
Tom Scales

While I do not understand why Dell doesn't offer it at as a cost-based
upgrade, the reality is that the margins are so thing that the big OEMs
almost have to do this in the comsumer space. An extra $5 is huge when
you're barely making money. People demand $399 computers, with all retains
parts, includign the OS, and lifetime toll-free support whenthey screw
something up.

It can't be done.

This isn't a pro-Dell statement, as it applies to all the majors, just a
fact. It's comical, in some ways, like the people that start out their
posts:

"I formatted the drive and install Windows 3.11 on my new Dell 8400 and Dell
won't support me. Those crooks!"

replace Windows 3.11 with the non-standard operating system of your choice.

Tom

Old April 22nd 05, 07:11 PM
BigJIm

if they said they will send it, they will.
sent mine overnight air. I should mention that it was a laptop it was for
and one of the more pricey ones.