Dell has changed it policy on OS disk

Old April 5th 05, 03:32 PM
BigJIm

I guess the home division, not the business.

"Notan" wrote in message
BigJIm wrote:

FYI

Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating
system
is
on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion
with
the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my Hard
drive
crashes
after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new
hard
drive from
Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition. Yea I could see
me
making that
argument 3 years down the road, well you rep told me...........sorry sir
he
was wrong and you must
purchase not only a new drive but another copy of XP. Well just call me
paranoid but it all ended well as I will get my disk. It only took 30
minutes to resolve the issue. BTW it could also
have been me saying that it was unacceptable and I will send this machine
back tomorrow.
The moral to this story is, if you don't ask they don't offer.

I hope this may help someone in the future.

Just out of curiosity, what division did you purchase from?

Notan

Old April 5th 05, 03:44 PM
BigJIm

Well I also purchased a Dell 1100 from the home division just 15 months ago
and I received all the disks including the OS. BTW I do not think you can
burn a cd from the hidden partition it is strictly for resorting the main
partition to it's original form. If the drive goes belly up, you will need
an OS and Hard drive, if it is out of warranty. In warranty you will get the
drive with
the OS installed on the hidden partition. I believe this is a bad business
move on the part of Dell.
As I said before, I am satisfied as Dell is sending me a disk with the OS on
it, but remember I had to call an ask for it. If you are ignorant of the
fact about the OS disk you could be out of luck down the road. So tell
anyone you know who is going to purchase a new Dell.

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." wrote in message

"BigJIm" wrote in message
FYI

Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating
system is
on a hidden partition on the hard drive.

The Small Business division offers the OS with or without the media. Yet
another reason to pay the tax and buy from the small business division.

--

Rob

Old April 5th 05, 03:45 PM
Notan

BigJIm wrote:

I guess the home division, not the business.

While the Small Business Division (and higher) has had the
option of better Support (e.g., Gold Tech Support), I wonder
if they're also being given similar options as far as supplied
media goes.

Notan
Old April 5th 05, 06:25 PM
Ben Myers

If lack of an OS restore CD with driver CD(!) is reason not to buy a Dell, then
it is good reason also to not buy HP, eMachines, Gateway, and on and on. Over
the last couple years, this has been the trend to save a few pennies and cut
costs to compete. They're all doing it. The only recourse is to ring them up
and ask for the media... Ben Myers

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:52:44 GMT, "Irene" wrote:

Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.

It appears that Dell is, as with the Overseas Tech Support, going to keeping
"pushing" until it costs them customers(Corporate Customers, that is).

Old April 5th 05, 08:36 PM
Notan

wrote:

Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.

OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
discs.

We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
are looking at big company stuff.

We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

Sony? Look elsewhere.

While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
is reported to be some of the worst support available.

In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
they'll cost you a small fortune.

Notan
Old April 5th 05, 08:47 PM
William P. N. Smith

PeeVee_Hermann wrote:
We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

My R505 Vaio wouldn't boot from a 'normal' CD-Rom, only those supplied
by Sony, so though you get recovery disks, they install all the Sony
junk again.

I'd go with a Dell business system and specifically select the CD.

Old April 5th 05, 09:37 PM
Ted Zieglar

The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one built
to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared to
make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
television or a car or a refrigerator or...

Ted Zieglar

"PeeVee_Hermann" wrote in message
news:1112730649.7785452fc80bc3ee31a27dcaeba03903@b ubbanews...

wrote:

Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.

OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
discs.

We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
are looking at big company stuff.

We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

Sony? Look elsewhere.

While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
is reported to be some of the worst support available.

In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
they'll cost you a small fortune.

Notan

OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.

then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

Old April 5th 05, 09:42 PM
Notan

wrote:

Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.

OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
discs.

We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
are looking at big company stuff.

We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

Sony? Look elsewhere.

While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
is reported to be some of the worst support available.

In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
they'll cost you a small fortune.

Notan

OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.

then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

Personally, I've had good experiences with Dell.

In my opinion, Dell's biggest complaints are in the area of
Technical Support. If you can, order from their Small Business
Division (or higher) and opt for the best support you can get.
(Gold Tech Support, for example, gets you telephone on-hold
times of, typically, less than two minutes, and US based Techs
that appear to have a much higher computer education than their
"standard" Techs.)

If you have the time, have a look at the semi-recent "Gold Tech
Support" thread.

Notan
Old April 6th 05, 12:52 AM
Irene

It's been slight over two years since we purchased our LAST Dell computer.
Guess we ducked the bullet by a few months.

"Joan Hansen" wrote in message
Irene, HP has been doing that for about 2 years now. That is how my niece
got her HP Computer.

Old April 6th 05, 12:59 AM
Irene

First---build one

Second--Have one built to your exact specs

Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.