Unwanted Verticle Lines on FPD2485W Hi Def Monitor

Old June 10th 09, 08:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Bob[_30_]

Default Unwanted Verticle Lines on FPD2485W Hi Def Monitor

I have these problems:

1. If I do a cold start of the monitor and computer I get 5
verdical lines on my monitor. Two on the left side and three on the
right side. Cold START: Disconnect the ac power plug from the
monitor and completely shut down the computer and then wait20
minutes for things to coll down. I then plug the monitor in and
turn the system on. After a while all of the lines go away except
one on the left. Gateway says it is a driver problem (after
numerous troubleshooting to tech support) and they want me to do a
complete reinstall of Vista Ultimate. I don't want to do that
because I have many documents and programs that I make a small
living on.

2. If the monitor and system goes into sleep mode after going idle
and awakes the one on the right remains.

Tech support is terrible. They are located in India and accents are
heavy and phone connections are poor.

I think it's the monitor. They also want me to send the monitor in
for repair and that's BULL. I want a repalment umonitor

2. What ever happened to tech support???? My system is under
waranty

Posted with NewsLeecher v4.0 Beta 3
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old June 10th 09, 05:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Bob wrote:
[...]

You are being subjected to tech support and warranty service as it
exists for CONSUMERS in these United States in the 21st century. It
pretty much sucks no matter which product it is. Where is Ralph Nader
when we need him to rattle cages on behalf of the consumer?

Here is something you can do to isolate the problem better. Gateway's
response of a driver problem is a large steaming pile of horse manure.
Simply attach another monitor (known to be in perfect condition, of
course) to the computer. If you get the vertical lines, then it is the
computer's own hardware, namely the graphics card or the graphics chip
on the motherboard. If you do not get vertical lines, the problem lies
with the monitor.

You can also do an additional test by changing the resolution displayed
on the monitor. If the lines are still there, the problem is with the
computer.

Finally, do not reinstall Vista. Instead, determine the manufacturer of
the graphics chip (AMD/ATI, nVidiia, or Intel) and the model of graphics
chip. Then go to the web site of the graphics chip manufacturer to
download the drivers for the graphics. Do not bother with the Gateway
web site for updated drivers, because they are probably not there.
Install the graphics drivers, reboot and see what happens.

Because your description implies a transient problem, one where the
display changes over time, I really do believe that you have a faulty
monitor and that you should demand a replacement under warranty. Still,
sometimes you have to bend over backwards to prove what the problem is.

.... Ben Myers
Old June 10th 09, 08:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Bob wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately, with the current state of Gateway tech unsupport, it's more
like "bend over and grab your ankles."

SC Tom

Old June 11th 09, 03:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
davy

Have you tried another monitor or tried it on another machine?

Try cold starting the monitor first and see, then try cold starting the
machine leaving the monitor power ON.

Davy

Old June 24th 09, 04:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Annie Woughman

Is your monitor still under warranty? We had this happen with our first
Gateway LCD monitor--only one vertical line and they simply shipped us a new
one and had us send that one back in the same box. However, that was about
four years ago. Maybe the tech support and warranty have gone down the
tubes since then.