Best Nvidia drivers for a GeForce 2/GTS and 98SE?

Old October 31st 05, 08:10 PM
Doug

Default Best Nvidia drivers for a GeForce 2/GTS and 98SE?

I've read rumors that I shouldn't use the latest Nvidia drivers for my
GeForce 2/GTS. So which drivers should I use? This for a 98SE box BTW.

--
there is no .sig

Old October 31st 05, 09:25 PM
Phil Weldon

What's wrong with your present drivers and what makes you think the newest
drivers will be of any benefit for your present equipment?

Phil Weldon

t...

Old November 1st 05, 03:53 AM
First of One

As Phil Weldon said, there's no reason to upgrade unless you suspect the
video card driver is causing problems.

On the other hand, the new drivers add some fringe features like driving an
HDTV natively through the DVI port, HDTV overscan/underscan, non-divisible
by 8 resolutions through the TMDS, etc. If these features are important to
you, go ahead and use this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html
This is the final set of Win9x drivers supporting the GF2 GTS.

t...

Old November 1st 05, 09:57 PM
Doug

I've had some problems playing back movies (.wmv's, .avi's, .mpeg's). Both
Windows Media Player and my DVD player will just lock up when I try to load
any video files. I'm hoping newer drivers might resolve this.

--
there is no .sig
"First of One" wrote in message
As Phil Weldon said, there's no reason to upgrade unless you suspect the
video card driver is causing problems.

On the other hand, the new drivers add some fringe features like driving
an HDTV natively through the DVI port, HDTV overscan/underscan,
non-divisible by 8 resolutions through the TMDS, etc. If these features
are important to you, go ahead and use this:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html
This is the final set of Win9x drivers supporting the GF2 GTS.

t...

Old November 1st 05, 10:07 PM
deimos

Doug wrote:
I've read rumors that I shouldn't use the latest Nvidia drivers for my
GeForce 2/GTS. So which drivers should I use? This for a 98SE box BTW.

You can safely use the latest official NVIDIA drivers on any NVIDIA card
all the way back to the last supported GPU/core. It used to be the
TNT2, but now I think they're only certified back to the GF2 and MX.

The only reason legacy cards are getting left out is that it's hard to
maintain WHQL certification for those older chips (which must at least
be able to run on a software DX9 level API). Before the GF2 and
similar, card manufacturer quality and components used varied wildly
(especially with RAM types).

Older drivers are still certified for cards back to the TNT2, and Win9x
support is limited for many reasons similar to the above. In any event,
here's your driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_77.72.html

Old November 1st 05, 11:02 PM
First of One

"deimos" wrote in message
The only reason legacy cards are getting left out is that it's hard to
maintain WHQL certification for those older chips (which must at least be
able to run on a software DX9 level API). Before the GF2 and similar,
card manufacturer quality and components used varied wildly (especially
with RAM types).

It's probably just the cost of testing new drivers with obselete cards in
general, especially if only a few people are still using them. This is
especially true with Win9x, where MS has stopped accepting drivers for WHQL
certification.

Older drivers are still certified for cards back to the TNT2, and Win9x
support is limited for many reasons similar to the above. In any event,
here's your driver:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_77.72.html

Er, nope. The 77.72 drivers no longer support the TNT2, Geforce2 GTS and
Quadro2: http://www.nvidia.com/object/77.72_9x_supported.html
This is probably just a clerical edit to the installer INF file.

Oddly enough the Geforce2 MX is still supported, probably due to its large
OEM installed base, while MX integrated graphics is not supported.

Old November 2nd 05, 12:06 AM
First of One

Have you tried changing the renderer type in Windows Media Player (WMP) and
your DVD software? Toggle the options like overlay, video-mixing renderer,
YUV flipping, etc.; change one setting at a time. (In Media Player Classic,
some rendering modes actually utilize DirectX9 functions, so there is quite
a variety of ways to display simple video.)

Did you install any new codecs that may try to play file formats it's not
compatible with (3ivx is notorious)? Some codecs will also lock up the
player if the video contains subtitles in a separate file.

m...