LG Monitor resolution issue

Old November 1st 08, 09:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John

Default LG Monitor resolution issue

Hi All,

I've recently purchased an LG L226WTQ-PF monitor and was having a few
problems with resolutions.

My graphics card is a Hercules Prophet II GTS Pro 64MB (NVidia
GeForce2 drivers) and offers a number of different resolutions, even
claiming that these are supported by the monitor. However, when I
select anything over 1024x768@60Hz, the monitor enters powersave mode
and won't 'wake up' again. I have to boot in safe mode, reset the
resolution to something acceptable and then start again, which is very
annoying.

Has anybody any idea why my monitor/graphics card won't support
resolutions highers than 1024x768? I've tried the following from the
'compatible' resolution list, without success:

1152x864
1280x960
1600x900
1680x1050 (the monitors 'preferred' resolution).

These have been tried at both 75Hz and 60Hz refresh rates.

My graphic card drivers are currently 'NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2
Pro', version 7.1.8.4 (24/02/2005).

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John.
Old November 1st 08, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

There should be a monitor driver CD included with your monitor. If you
haven't installed it, go into Windows Device Manager - Monitors.
Right-click on the monitor and select "Update Driver". When prompted point
the wizard to the CD.

71.84 is the latest Geforce2 driver for Win9x, so you are good there.

Old November 1st 08, 03:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I installed the drivers from the monitor's CD when I originally
set it up. I've just rechecked (using the Update Driver... option in
Device Manager) and the Hardware Update wizard tells me that it 'could
not find a better match for your hardware than the software you
currently have installed.'

The current monitor driver version is 1.3.0.0 (01/04/2007) from LG.

If both my drivers are upto date, what else could the problem be? I'm
currently connected via the DVI input, so perhaps I'll try changing it
to the D-sub, see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

John.
Old November 1st 08, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John

Yep, using the D-Sub connection, rather than the DVI, has fixed the
problem. I can now reset the resolution to the 'preferred' 1680x1050
with no apparent problems!

Thanks,

John
Old November 1st 08, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

"John" wrote in message
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I installed the drivers from the monitor's CD when I originally
set it up. I've just rechecked (using the Update Driver... option in
Device Manager) and the Hardware Update wizard tells me that it 'could
not find a better match for your hardware than the software you
currently have installed.'

The current monitor driver version is 1.3.0.0 (01/04/2007) from LG.

If both my drivers are upto date, what else could the problem be? I'm
currently connected via the DVI input, so perhaps I'll try changing it
to the D-sub, see if that makes a difference.

I found an old review (it is an old card, after all) which stated that DVI
functionality is not functional on your specific card....only on the
Hercules Prophet II GTS Ultra version.....it has a DVI port but no DVI
signal....what you are getting is the 1024x768 analog max out of that DVI
port. Never had one of these specific cards, so can't comment but here's the
link...
http://gear.ign.com/articles/324/324808p1.html

Old November 1st 08, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

Should read: functionality is not available on your specific card....

morning after halloween quick reply demons again....

Old November 2nd 08, 10:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John

Hi Augustus,

That would explain it.

Thanks (to all) for the assistance and explanation.

John.