ASUS Striker 2 Extreme problem.

Old August 20th 08, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jezz

Default ASUS Striker 2 Extreme problem.

Hello all, I have been having a nightmare on some new kit i purchased.
Computer will bootup and Run Vista H,Premium 32bit just fine, but when
running games, it will lock up, the only way to restart the pc is to either
hit the power switch, or the reset switch

Mainboard, Asus Striker II Extreme
memory 4Gb OCZ DDR3 1333MHz 7-7-7-20
Video . BFG GeForce GTX280 OC 1Gb ram
CPU, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6450 2.66GHz

Tried Flashing the bios to the latest one, but that didnt help. also All the
latest Drivers have be installed.
any ideas peeps,

Thanks in advance...........

Old August 21st 08, 12:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Michael W. Ryder

Jezz wrote:
Hello all, I have been having a nightmare on some new kit i purchased.
Computer will bootup and Run Vista H,Premium 32bit just fine, but when
running games, it will lock up, the only way to restart the pc is to
either hit the power switch, or the reset switch

Mainboard, Asus Striker II Extreme
memory 4Gb OCZ DDR3 1333MHz 7-7-7-20
Video . BFG GeForce GTX280 OC 1Gb ram
CPU, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6450 2.66GHz

Tried Flashing the bios to the latest one, but that didnt help. also All
the latest Drivers have be installed.
any ideas peeps,

Thanks in advance...........

I would monitor the temperatures of the computer and the voltages to
make sure that the increased load from the games is not causing a
problem. Your video card could be overheating or your power supply may
not be supplying enough voltage under load.
Old August 21st 08, 10:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jezz

Thanks. I Had the PSU replaced allready, thinking it was that at 1st, Tagan
900w is running it.
i do know the voltages are set lower than the Recomended, but when i try to
set then in the Bios, the PC wont boot at all .
i have been stuck with this for 2 weeks now, Brand new system, but not
getting much support from the online shop where i purchased it from.

kinda hoping some one got the same CPU, Memory and mobo, who could let me
know what thay got there bios settings set too.

Old August 21st 08, 10:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Jezz wrote:
Thanks. I Had the PSU replaced allready, thinking it was that at 1st,
Tagan 900w is running it.
i do know the voltages are set lower than the Recomended, but when i try
to set then in the Bios, the PC wont boot at all .
i have been stuck with this for 2 weeks now, Brand new system, but not
getting much support from the online shop where i purchased it from.

kinda hoping some one got the same CPU, Memory and mobo, who could let
me know what thay got there bios settings set too.

I would monitor the temperatures of the computer and the voltages to
make sure that the increased load from the games is not causing a
problem. Your video card could be overheating or your power supply may
not be supplying enough voltage under load.

There is a report of artifacting here, and one card overheated.
I'd have a look at the reviews, and see if there is a trend or
not with the GTX280 cards.

To test the processor and memory, run Prime95. This version is
a multithreaded version, and can test a dual or quad core chip
better than the other versions on mersenne.org . You want to run
the torture test, and not join GIMPs when prompted. (You can join
GIMPs if you want, but the purpose right now is processor/memory
testing.)

http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/p95v256.zip

The reason why you want to run Prime95 torture test, is to distinguish
video card problems, from processor or memory problems. If Prime95
runs for hours, without reporting any errors, that means
it might be your video card that is responsible for problems.
If Prime95 reports problems, then it means something other than
the video card is at fault. And then tuning motherboard parameters,
would be a reasonable response.

If the Prime95 test fails, you could drop down to 2x1GB and
test again. It could be the combination of running DDR3-1333
and using four sticks. I assume your memory product is something
like this.

Perhaps once you get some test results, you can also ask over
here about settings suitable for four sticks (if that is what
you're using).

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/index.php

The Striker 2 Extreme also has a forum, which you can
look at.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx... nguage=en-us

There is a report of freezing here, with 4x1GB of that OCZ.
A different video card than yours. So it could be a RAM
or settings issue or BIOS revision issue.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Paul
Old August 21st 08, 12:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Scott[_8_]

I would look at the sound board, even if it's the Asus OEM provided. I heard
poor things about it when I purchased my Striker board and have been running
Creative Labs, although I'm still on XP.

I've found that when games freeze it's either the video or sound card.

Old August 22nd 08, 11:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jezz

Thanks Very much Paul. i will check out all this info u gave us, But at the
momement. i have sent the Mobo, Memory (2x2Gb) Cpu and Video card back to
the online Store (OCUK) where i purchased it from, trying to get them to
find the fault....

much appreciated

Old August 25th 08, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jezz

Ive sent the Mobo, Videocard, Memory and CPU back to OCUK. getting them to
test it all, but i am expecting them to say they found the OCZ memory to be
incompatable with the mobo after reading some of the links paul posted here.