TVout on Forceware 81 vs 91

Old August 8th 06, 07:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
biodiode

Default TVout on Forceware 81 vs 91

TVout on Forceware 81 vs 91

I don't know how much of this is hardware dependent, but forceware 91
on my setup, scales mediaplayer TV fullscreen (mirror) output to fit on
BOTH axes, so that widescreen avi will look stupid. Whereas, version 81
fitted it into the X axis and made widescreen look rather letterbox.

Forceware 81 has a deficiency where you can't find any controls to
guarantee that mediaplayer will output to the TV, unless you right
click on a video and select "Play on my-TV". After that it works fine.

Does anyone know how to override the stupid widescreen scaling on
version 91. The switch is probably hidden somewhere, but the newfangled
idiot Control Panel on 91 doesn't show too much.

I'm using the inbuilt 6150 on a A8N-VM motherboard.

Are these problems existent on higher power cards?

Old August 9th 06, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Robert Hancock

biodiode wrote:
TVout on Forceware 81 vs 91

I don't know how much of this is hardware dependent, but forceware 91
on my setup, scales mediaplayer TV fullscreen (mirror) output to fit on
BOTH axes, so that widescreen avi will look stupid. Whereas, version 81
fitted it into the X axis and made widescreen look rather letterbox.

Seems to occur on all (or at least many) cards with the 91.xx drivers.

Forceware 81 has a deficiency where you can't find any controls to
guarantee that mediaplayer will output to the TV, unless you right
click on a video and select "Play on my-TV". After that it works fine.

Setting the full screen video device to be the secondary display should
do it..

Does anyone know how to override the stupid widescreen scaling on
version 91. The switch is probably hidden somewhere, but the newfangled
idiot Control Panel on 91 doesn't show too much.

No known way as far as I know, I think it is just a bug.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old August 9th 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

As a workaround, use the open-source Media Player Classic, which lets you
adjust aspect ratios on-the-fly with the numpad. It's a very powerful
program with a plethora of options like audio sync adjustment, textfile
subtitles, and even pixel shader functions such as wrapping the video on a
revolving sphere. All in a single executable.

oups.com...

Old August 10th 06, 03:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
biodiode

First of One wrote:
As a workaround, use the open-source Media Player Classic,

Thanks, but output scaling is not a workaround, because full screen
video mode autoscales all images back to fit the screen - no matter how
elongated etc. I tried all that sort of thing when I first encountered
autoscaling in 81. It took me ages to find the TV output zoom
scaling... which sort of works. You at least get to clip the edges off
extreme wide movies, but then when you view TV aspect 4:3, you are
missing 2 inches all around.

The only way to solve this problem, is to clip the edges off the output
before it goes to the overlay renderer. MPC seems not to have this
option.

I'm currently suffering from the problem that horizontal and vertical
dual display are missing from my menu, and when I set this mode in 91,
it is rejected. In any case, I can't find any overlay controls in 91,
even if I could throw the overlay to the secondary screen ... and I
don't think I want to work that way, anyway.

So my workaround is installing 81 via system restore.

Old August 10th 06, 11:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

You know you can change the fullscreen resolution to something other than
the desktop resolution in MPC, right?

oups.com...

Old August 14th 06, 11:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
biodiode

You know you can change the fullscreen resolution to something other than
the desktop resolution in MPC, right?

You appear to be talking about using MPC to do rendering, in what would
be considered "no acceleration" in Windows Media Player. This is the
mode which you can do screen captures of. (VMR9 renderless + use
texture surfaces to render in 2D)

However, the nVidia drivers seem to facilitate 3 types of output.
(1) desktop
(2) overlay (which is hardware rendered onto some dark red mask color,
usually to the primary screen)
(3) fullscreen hardware (which is the same as above, but not using a
mask color, and scaling to arbitrary/uncontrollable ratios onto
[probably] your secondary screen.)

This would be a workaround for version 91 drivers. The only downside is
that you use twice the CPU, and lose the desktop on the primary screen.

I have just tried to implement it with a horizontal span desktop in 81
drivers, but the player decided that full screen was on the primary
device, and now controls to get the screen back into clone mode have
been greyed out. So I appear to be stuck in spazmo mode until I get a
PhD.

Old August 14th 06, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

The CPU utilization does go up with VMR9 renderless. However, the GPU is
still being utilized (hence all the shader functions becoming available).
Not too much of an issue unless you have some hungry background app running
while watching a movie. This mode is also required to read subtitles from a
text file.

The only possible problem is playing WMVs in VMR9 mode. The colors go
psychedelic, at least on the two ATi cards I've owned.

ps.com...