Upgraded CPU on KT7A problem

Old April 1st 04, 12:07 PM
Wes Newell

Default Upgraded CPU on KT7A problem

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:44:03 +0100, Rex D Last wrote:

Many thanks for that, Wes - no success I'm afraid.
Your first suggestion resulted in locking-up and I had to reset the CMOS.
The maximum multiplier available in BIOS set-up is 12.5 and above. Using
this, I still get the CPU reported as a 1300MHz thunderbird. Thus, I get the
same result whether I employ user-defined or not.

So, in other words, as long as you keep the FSB at 100, everything works.
And anytime you set the fsb to 133 it fails, even if you chonge the
multiplier to let's say 9? If that's the case, it's not the cpu. It's more
than likely your ram now working at the speeds you have it set for. The
ram bus follows the FSB, so when you raise the FSB fromm 100 to 133, the
ram bus speed increases to 133 also. And your ram isn't working at that
speed. It could just be bad ram that won't operate at 133MHz, but it could
also be how you have the ram set up in the dram section of the bios. And
it moght be the PSU too.

Forgive my ignorance , but I do not understand what you mean by looking
at my ram/timings. I've got 768 of 133 RAM. Any other suggestions would
be welcome.

Pull all the ram except 1 stick. Manually set the ram settings to the
slowest, cas 3, 80ns (I think). Now set the cpu multiplier to 9 and the
FSB to 133 and see if it works? If not, try a different ram, repeat. I
assume there's lots of ram tutorials on the web, try and find one.

Old April 3rd 04, 05:38 PM
Jim

Question, is this Athlon 1400 actually an "Athlon XP 1400"?!

If so, I have a pretty good idea what the problem is. Many people have
forgotten at this point, but, the original release of the Abit KT7A
*preceeded* the first release of the Athlon XP. As such, many mobo's do NOT
(at least not "officially") support the Athlon XP. At this point, I
frankly don't recall the technical details (I'm sure an Internet search
would turn up something), but it has something to do w/ power-up
requirements. Perhaps the original KT7A FAQ (kindly hosted by Sudhian
Media, see http://www.sudhian.com/showfaqs.cfm?fid=2 ) can provide more
details. That's why when I bought my original KT7A-RAID, around the time of
the release of the Athlon XP, I made sure to get a revision 1.3 mobo!, the
ONLY version I know of that *is* officially sanctioned as Athlon XP
compatible!!!

Again, MANY people have forgotten this little detail, and it wouldn't
surprise me in the least if this is indeed your problem. As far as my
KT7A-RAID v1.3, I've since sold it, but I was running the Athlon XP 2000+ on
it at the time. So w/ the right revision, it *will* run Athlon XPs.

IOW, the problem is much like the Intel mobo's of today. Everyone is
concerned whether they will/do support the new Prescott CPU. It just
depends, you have to check w/ your mobo vendor. And like w/ the KT7A and
other pre-Athlon XP mobo's, everyone will, one day, forget about this little
caveat, and a whole bunch of new users will be puzzled why their heavily
discounted Intel Prescott doesn't work on their circa '2003 mobo.

Of course, I'm just speculating about your processor, you didn't mention XP
specifically, maybe just an oversight, but I don't seem to recall any non-XP
Athlons ever being released above 1.33GHz (don't quote me, just don't
recall). Seems to me the XPs started w/ 1.4GHz and above.

HTH

Jim

"Rex D Last" wrote in message
I am new to this newsgroup and apologise if this has been answered in the
past.

I have just replaced my AMD Athlon 800MHz with an AMD Athlon 1400MHz 133
CPU. I
have installed the latest BIOS update for the KT7A MB (7/11/02). If I

enter
this CPU in BIOS set-up the system locks up and I have to reset the CMOS

get going again. The system runs perfectly well if I set the CPU as
1300MHz but then it is only recognised as a 1300 Thunderbird. Is it

possible to get the full performance from this CPU?

I am running W98SE. I have also tried manually setting the CPU in BIOS
set-up, although I
was uncertain of the correct settings and tried several, and changing

DRAM
CLK to HOST CLK+PCI CLK but the system locks up in the same way.

Any help or advice would be welcome.

Rex
Rex D Last Somerset UK)

Boot Problem with Win2000 AMD 2500 XP - A-Bit KD7A system TMgo Homebuilt PC's 2 August 17th 04 10:03 AM
Restart problem DJS0302 Homebuilt PC's 0 June 20th 04 07:37 AM
Problem with external hard drive Flake Homebuilt PC's 1 February 15th 04 04:03 AM
Sound Card Problem cracking noise, SB Live 5.1 Majestic Homebuilt PC's 1 December 24th 03 09:12 AM
ABIT Ti4200 memory problem? scott Homebuilt PC's 1 December 12th 03 01:06 AM