Prime95 is stuck

Old January 9th 05, 10:22 PM
MikeJohnes

Default Prime95 is stuck

Hello.
I don't know whether this is the correct group to post to.
But I decided to use the 'torture test' of the program Prime95 to test the
stability of a computer but it doesn't get past the first test. It doesn't
fail. It just doesn't do anything. It says it's working through Test 1 but
it never moves on to Test 2 even after several hours.
I tried the 3 different types of torture test and it never moves on.

When I tried to run the test on another computer it only takes a few mins to
complete the first test, then a few seconds to complete each of the others.
By searching the internet and usegroups I found that this is what is meant
to happen and seems to be everyone elses experience.

Does anyone know how I can get this program to work on this computer.
The specs a-
Pentium 4 2.6Ghz
1500MB Ram
ATI Radeon 9800Pro
WinXP Home SP2
Thanks

Old January 11th 05, 05:31 AM
Larry Gagnon

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 21:22:03 -0000, "MikeJohnes"
wrote:

Hello.
I don't know whether this is the correct group to post to.
But I decided to use the 'torture test' of the program Prime95 to test the
stability of a computer but it doesn't get past the first test. It doesn't
fail. It just doesn't do anything. It says it's working through Test 1 but
it never moves on to Test 2 even after several hours.
I tried the 3 different types of torture test and it never moves on.

When I tried to run the test on another computer it only takes a few mins to
complete the first test, then a few seconds to complete each of the others.
By searching the internet and usegroups I found that this is what is meant
to happen and seems to be everyone elses experience.

Prime95 is a very stable, well established and professionally written
piece of software. It cannot be the software unless your download had
a glitch in it or something went weird during the install. If I were
you I would remove it, redownload and reinstall Pirme95.

If you have the same fault after reloading Prime95 then your computer
is unstable - no questions about it. At that point you need to check
all your BIOS settings (perhaps going back to failsafe BIOS settings),
check the temperatures of your MB and CPU and check the voltages from
your power supply.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certifed tech.
Old January 11th 05, 08:36 AM
CoCo

wrote:

[...]

hi

that stable and perfect is not prime! it wont run on a machine with dep activated, thats
version 23.8.1.0 and some older versions. (xp pro2 on a amd64)

coco
Old January 12th 05, 03:49 AM
Don Taylor

wrote:
[...]

If you search for prime95 in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
from a month or three ago, I believe that I and someone else did
figure out why he was having prime95 fail under DEP. He was
having the same problem because he had turned on DEP for everything
on the system. When he backed that off of prime95 then it worked
for him, or maybe I'm forgetting some of the details, but we did
get it working for him and in his case it was DEP related.

And if the original poster is still having problems with prime95
and would like some help then throw me email and I'll try to help
you try to figure out what is going on. I don't use it for the
memory testing or group work but as a stand-alone factoring engine.
Old January 12th 05, 08:58 AM
CoCo

Don Taylor skrev:

wrote:

[...]

i am running prime without dep, just pointed out that the programming done in prime isnt
perfect or wasnt done with normal programming rules. (no program should trip dep ever)

(no solution or reason given in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)

coco
Old January 12th 05, 10:16 AM
Michael Brown

CoCo wrote:
[...]
i am running prime without dep, just pointed out that the programming
done in prime isnt perfect or wasnt done with normal programming
rules. (no program should trip dep ever)

You're assuming there that both DEP and Windows are perfect I'd say it's
just as likely, if not more likely, that the problems are in DEP or one of
the system DLLs conflicting with DEP.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old January 12th 05, 12:39 PM
CoCo

Michael Brown skrev:
CoCo wrote:
[...]

i am running prime without dep, just pointed out that the programming
done in prime isnt perfect or wasnt done with normal programming
rules. (no program should trip dep ever)

You're assuming there that both DEP and Windows are perfect I'd say it's
just as likely, if not more likely, that the problems are in DEP or one of
the system DLLs conflicting with DEP.

hi

not really, but i have dep active for all tasks and it's only prime that have tripped it.

all dll/resources under prime task is common shared stuff that other apps do use without
any problems (ex prime95.exe)

coco
Old January 12th 05, 10:31 PM
Mitch Crane

CoCo wrote:

(no program should trip dep ever)

I don't think I would agree with that. There maybe applications where for
reasons of speed or efficiency some method is used which trips DEP. That
doesn't make such an application necessarily dangerous or bad.

Old January 13th 05, 01:32 AM
Larry Gagnon

wrote:

Prime95 is a very stable, well established and professionally written
piece of software. It cannot be the software unless your download had
a glitch in it or something went weird during the install. If I were
you I would remove it, redownload and reinstall Pirme95.

If you have the same fault after reloading Prime95 then your computer
is unstable - no questions about it. At that point you need to check
all your BIOS settings (perhaps going back to failsafe BIOS settings),
check the temperatures of your MB and CPU and check the voltages from
your power supply.

Larry Gagnon, A+ certifed tech.

hi

that stable and perfect is not prime! it wont run on a machine with dep activated, thats
version 23.8.1.0 and some older versions. (xp pro2 on a amd64)

coco

Coco: sorry but you make the gross assumption that Prime95 is unstable
under WinXP. A lot of software is unstable under Windows because
Windows is a lousy operating system. Prime95 is perfectly stable under
Linux and on my Win98SE box. I suspect therefore, that if there is any
glitch running Prime95 under dep under WinXP then the fault lies with
dep or WinXP and NOT with Prime95.

Larry Gagnon
Old January 13th 05, 06:14 AM
David Maynard

Mitch Crane wrote:
CoCo wrote:

(no program should trip dep ever)

I don't think I would agree with that. There maybe applications where for
reasons of speed or efficiency some method is used which trips DEP.

"Speed and efficiency" are not always compatible with security. For
example, a firewall consumes resources but it's more secure than a 'speedy
and efficient' open system.

That
doesn't make such an application necessarily dangerous or bad.

The application itself may not be malicious but if it depends on a
methodology that necessitates bypassing a system's security features then
it *is* 'dangerous and bad'.