6600 GT or 6800

Old May 7th 05, 07:20 AM
twobirds

Default 6600 GT or 6800

This NG has sung the praises of the 6600 GT being the best bang for the buck
for a long time now. Well, I started pricing today and the plain 6800 isn't
but a few bucks more than some 6600GTs now.

Is there any reason not to go with the plain 6800 over the 6600 GT besides
the few bucks?

Old May 7th 05, 01:41 PM
McGrandpa

"twobirds" wrote in message

This NG has sung the praises of the 6600 GT being the best bang for
the buck for a long time now. Well, I started pricing today and the
plain 6800 isn't but a few bucks more than some 6600GTs now.

Is there any reason not to go with the plain 6800 over the 6600 GT
besides the few bucks?

There are differences in architecture that make me wonder if the 6600GT
isn't faster than the vanilla 6800-128 Or at least neck and neck. The
crosslist of features on these two boards have me really unsure.
Perhaps the only way to know for sure is for someone who has experience
with both cards to offer us their views.

I have a 6800-128 and a 6800GT-256. This GT wins this one flat out.
But I can't say much at all about the 6600GT/6800-128 because I can't
compare the two in use.

I'd also like to see info on this one.

McG.

Old May 7th 05, 10:08 PM
Inglo

On 5/6/2005 11:20 PM twobirds brightened our day with:

This NG has sung the praises of the 6600 GT being the best bang for the buck
for a long time now. Well, I started pricing today and the plain 6800 isn't
but a few bucks more than some 6600GTs now.

Is there any reason not to go with the plain 6800 over the 6600 GT besides
the few bucks?

I'm with DaveL, the biggest thing is unlocking pipes.
My plain 6800 has all its pipes unlocked and I'm running about 900 pts
behind a average 6800 GT in 3dmark03 (I get 10150, a GT on a comparable
system to mine gets around 11000). The fastest 6600 GT is see on a
comparable system to mine (2.2 GHz Athlon XP/1 Gig RAM) is 8600 pts.
There are a lot of 6800s out there that won't softmod to 16 pixel and 6
vertex pipelines. Then the 6600 GT and the 6800 become a lot more even.
Call me lucky but I found a used but never installed 6800 at
craigslist.org for $180. Bargains like that are out there.

--
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

The Official God FAQ: http://www.400monkeys.com/God/

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Old May 8th 05, 12:45 AM
pete

Inglo,
What did you do to unlock the pipes?

news

Old May 8th 05, 01:52 AM
Granulated

On Sat, 7 May 2005 00:20:55 -0600 "twobirds" meeped :

Is there any reason not to go with the plain 6800 over the 6600 GT besides
the few bucks?

unless you want Vivo...no
Old May 8th 05, 05:18 AM
farmuse

I went with the 6800 for two reasons, first the 6600 chip was made
for pci-e and is modded to run on agp ie it was never designed for agp,
and I didn't like that, second the 6800 has four more pipes. I almost
went 9800 pro again, but I wanted more than just 8 pipes and the wife
wouldn't let me spend $300 on a super nice GT or ultra card. I am happy.

Old May 8th 05, 11:41 AM
pete

Thanks,
You can tell that I am new to Nvidia cards, lol

:-)

"Inglo" ioo@??.¿¿¿ wrote in message
om...
On 5/7/2005 4:45 PM pete brightened our day with:

Inglo,
What did you do to unlock the pipes?

news