can't install A7V600-X

Old April 6th 04, 03:52 PM
Paul

Default can't install A7V600-X

OK, I bit off more than I could chew.

I got excited by SATA drives, so I order one (yes one) to install with an
A7V600-X. After some problems, I realized I had ignored the RAID statement
on Newegg's site. I was able to boot to DVD (with Win2K disk in) but I
couldn't recognize hard disk. I was able to get to RAID bios, but I only had
one drive, so I couldn't do anything. So I took out the SATA drive and put
in an IDE drive. Then I get nothing. My problem is that, after resetting
BIOS to default, my drives won't do squat. I think I can feel my hard drive
spin up, but DVD light won't even come on. BIOS just hangs at splash screen.
What to do?

System right now.
Antec SmartPower SL400 400W PS
A7V600-X (All jumpers on default)
Athlon XP 3000+ (400 MHz)
2 sticks 512MB Corsair ValueSelect PC3200 DDR
Radeon 7000 32MB AGP
Samsung ATA 80GB disk on primary IDE master
LiteOn 411S DVD-RW on secondary IDE master

Thanks in advance for help

Paul

Old April 6th 04, 05:36 PM
Paul

In article .net, "Paul"
wrote:

[...]

The ie1541 file is a one page insert for the manual. It covers operating
the RAID feature.

http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...0-x_insert.pdf
http://www.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...1_a7v600-x.pdf

I wonder whether it has something to do with the
"Onboard ATA Device First" setting ? Since there is
no separate RAID chip on the board, this setting doesn't
make much sense. Try changing the value and see if
anything good happens.

HTH,
Paul
Old April 7th 04, 02:10 PM
Paul

Since I only had one SATA drive, the RAID bios was disabled.

But I have fixed the problem. For some reason, switching the cables (DVD to
HD & vice versa) fixed the problem. I'm installing Win2K right now.

Thanks again.

Can't install Nero 6 James Cdr 1 September 13th 04 11:22 PM
First Build Computer - Need Checklists and Other Tracking Documents Rob Homebuilt PC's 5 July 25th 04 12:03 AM
Can't get Windows 2000 Pro to Install on new A7N8x deluxe Michael Pompey Asus Motherboards 1 February 26th 04 01:57 PM
A7V600 - good upgrade choice? Chris C Asus Motherboards 4 November 5th 03 10:04 AM
Install Problems with an Adaptec 2400a RAID Controller! Starz_Kid General 1 June 24th 03 03:44 AM