Can I use my US-bought HP LaserJet 2100se in China?

Old May 19th 06, 06:02 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Can I use my US-bought HP LaserJet 2100se in China?

I own an HP LaserJet 2100se (C4138A) purchased in the US. I want to
take the printer and work in mainland China for a while.

****************************
Electrical Specs of HP LaseJet 2100 (from the User's Manual)
100-127V (+/- 10%)
50/60Hz (+/- 2Hz)

However the User's Manual has no electrical description for HP LaserJet
2100se I own.

HP LaserJet official support site:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&lang=en&cc=us
****************************

Basing on the above electrical specs, I suspect I can't use the printer
like I use it in the States. I e-mailed HP, and expectedly got reply
saying that due to regulatory laws they can't recommend use of printer
with 110V in a non-110V country and vice vera.

I am inclined to get a good voltage transformer for use of the printer
in China. I want to know is whethere it is practically possible from an
end user's perspective.
Voltage transformer such as one at this site:
http://www.voltageconverters.com/vol...onverters.html

Questions:
1. Can anyone kindly advise if this is feasible?

2. Is there anything else other than voltage and frequency differences
I have overlooked?

Thanks for your time and help!!!

Old May 19th 06, 07:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Sorry forgot to mention this...
China uses 220V voltage and 50Hz frequency in contrast to 120V and 60Hz
in the US.

Old May 19th 06, 08:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

You want to connect the 120V printer to a 220V power source, some
modern power units being the switch mode type will allow you to do
this - but you need to be certain, otherwise damage will be done.

The only way to be certain is to get a voltage converter, the modern
types usually contains a electronic circuit to do this, other's it's
just a step-up transformer, these accepts the 120V input and out comes
the 220V supply, but it does need to be adequately rated for the
amount of power (Wattage) drawn.

The frequency rating I think can be ignored, usually 50-60 Hz being
typical, the plus minus 2Hz stated seems a little mean, it's usually
plus or minus 20Hz, note Hz and c/s or cps are exactly the same thing
where we are concerened here.

The transformer types are the simplist but may be bulky, because of
today's technology the switch-mode or modern type are usually much
smaller and much lighter in weight.

A Laser will take a fair amount of power, I guess around 300 Watts,
note the word guess... this is something you need to work out before
purchase.

Voltage times the Current = the power in watts or if you want to know
the current it's the power divided by the voltage = current in Amps,
these can usually be taken (and calculated if need be) from the power
label sticker on the printer.

Davy

Old May 19th 06, 11:35 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"7palmtree" wrote:
[...]

The specs clearly state 50/60Hz. So if China is 220v 50Hz a power converter or
transformer and a new power cord or plug adaptor is all you need. I do not know
how well regulated the Chinese power system frequency is but most countries
regulate their mains frequency pretty well (better than 0.5%), voltage
variations tend to be more common than frequency variations but in most cases
10% is easily achieved. There is no reason to believe that China does not do
this well.
The printer specs indicate that it will work at between 49Hz and 61.2 Hz. The
voltage range is 120 -127v + or - 10% which in reality is 108v to 139.7v which
is a big range. Some power converters provide voltage regulation at a higher
cost and if you are concerned that may be the way to go.
There are no other implications.
Tony