Canon Pixma MP950 User Experiences

Old February 9th 06, 03:01 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Canon Pixma MP950 User Experiences

Hi,

I am looking into buying the Canon Pixma MP950 but I have searched the
internet for a few minutes and could only find 1 or 2 reviews. This
printer is so new I cannot find any good opinions on it. If anyone has
this printer, could they please post their experiences with it or if
someone knows of a review of this printer on the internet could they
please post a link?

Thanks,
Murph

Old February 10th 06, 05:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Martin wrote in news:h70Hf.276081$vl2.120238
@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

You can however bet that they use the newer chipped cartridges so your
consumables cost will be pretty high.

If they are the chipped carts, you can refill them with little fuss, if you
don't mind losing ink monitoring.
Old February 10th 06, 06:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

:

You can however bet that they use the newer chipped cartridges so your
consumables cost will be pretty high.

If they are the chipped carts, you can refill them with little fuss, if you
don't mind losing ink monitoring.

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE
Old February 11th 06, 09:28 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I've had a canon mp950 for about a month now. It's the second photo
printer I've had (my other was a 4 year old canon bjc-8200) so I don't
have too much to compare it with, but here are my opinions:

Pros:
- Photo quality is great: I've printed on Canon Photo Paper Plus
Glossy and the pictures look like film. They are smug free. Even after
dipping them in water they discolor, but don't smudge.
- Many input options and good computer-free usage: There are many
options for getting your photos to the printer (usb from computer, usb
from camera, 4 types of memory cards, and scanning film or negs). None
but the usb from computer requires a computer. From a memory card, you
can print out a contact sheet of all the photos on it (or a subset of
them). The printout has bubbles for indicating which ones you want and
how many etc. (like an SAT test). You fill in the bubbles indicating
what you want, then you scan the sheet out back into the printer. Then
it prints out the photos you chose on photo paper to your
specifications. No computer needed. It's awesome!
- Fast and loud or slow and quiet: Normally, the printer is pretty
loud compared with my old one. It's mostly paper-loading noises, I
think. But it's a lot faster than my old one. There is a setting in the
driver (and I think it's settable from the printer itself too) which
quiets the printer down at the cost of speed. It really works.
- Text printing and copying looks great too.
- Dual paper trays are great.
- Duplexing of even photos. It's a little slow, but it works. I
haven't tried 2-sided photos and probably won't.

Cons:
- The scanner works fine, but I wish it had an IR light or whatever
for removing scratches, dust and fuzz. I've scanned 2 or 3 rolls of
35mm negs and it was easier than I was expecting (I had heard horror
stories), but you could see lint and stuff on the scanned images. I
understand that some dedicated scanners (even cheap ones) take an extra
pass with an IR light and can remove these things some how in
conjunction with software (ICE?). I wish the mp950 had it.
- When photo paper comes from the cartridge tray (which is enclosed),
the prints have horizontal lines which you can only see from an angle
(roller marks?). These don't show up when the photo paper is loaded in
the auto sheet feeder, but my inclination is to load photo paper into
the enclosed tray.
- It's a little big for my taste.
- It's a little expensive for my taste (I originally paid $430, but
got Amazon to give me $60 bucks back since they've lowered the price to
$370!).

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. I got it for it's all-in-one
capabilities leaning towards photo printing and it definitely fits the
bill.

Also, here's a review I saw since I bought it:
http://msn.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,124254,00.asp

I hope this helps,

Josh

Old February 11th 06, 11:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Thank you for this!! It helps a lot.. exactly what I needed!

Old February 12th 06, 12:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Josh - A few tips I've learned from the dozen or so printers I've owned
Generally best to use the straightest paper path for photo paper or heavy
paper stock. If the cartridge tray is at all similar to my ip5000, I would
just use that for plain paper as the paper has to make a "u-turn" from the
cartridge into the printing area. When using the top feed area on my i960
(no cartridge in the "i" series) I had ink smudges and banding on the
trailing edge of 4x6 borderless prints with my and looked up the problem on
the Canon web site. Turns out that this can occur with paper that has a
slight curve, and the fix they recommend is to put an opposite curve in the
paper by running it over the edge of a table or desk. This would be a
nuisance as I print lots of pictures at a time and would have to handle each
piece of paper. I then realized that any paper I left in the top feed area
took a slight curve and caused the problem. I now keep all photo paper
stored flat. After a print run I put any remaining photo paper back in the
box where it is stored flat. Problem solved.

Old February 15th 06, 11:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Cool. Thanks for the tips Burt. I'll start doing that.

Josh

Old February 16th 06, 01:31 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

wrote:

Cool. Thanks for the tips Burt. I'll start doing that.

Josh

YOU GOTTA BE NUTS TO FOLLOW THAT ADVICE. READY FOR THE CLOGGING MANUAL

Canon i450 vs Pixma iP1600 - which to keep? Gary Tait Printers 6 January 10th 06 08:22 AM
Canon i450 vs Pixma iP1600 - which to keep? measekite Printers 0 January 7th 06 09:23 PM
Canon WON and Canon Lost measekite Printers 7 April 9th 05 01:21 AM
Canon PIXMA colinco Printers 1 December 15th 04 03:13 AM
Installing Ati Radeon 9700 drivers to Mandrake Linux 9.2 Meinz General Hardware 2 January 15th 04 06:09 PM