Buy Dell w/Vista Now or Wait Until Fall for Windows 7?

Old March 4th 09, 03:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
i are an english speaker

Default Worth Maxing Out on RAM for Dell Dimension 4700?

I just upgraded my Dell computer (Dell Dimension 4700
with Pentium 4 CPU, 75gb HD) from 500mb to 2.5gb of RAM. I'm very
pleased with the performance so far.

Now, since these chips are pretty cheap ($17 each), I'm wondering
whether it's worth while to get additional 2gb of RAM. Since my PC
has 4 slots, I can throw out the 2x256mb chips and get 2x1gb chips.
So, go from 2.5gb to 4gb of RAM.

Is this a good idea? I remember reading somewhere, I can't remember,
that it isn't worth while, since the memory won't be recognized. Can
the computer exploit the maximum memory (4gb in this case) if all 4
slots are occupied by 1gb RAM chips?

Thanks again.

Ben Myers Wrote:
The 4700 has 4 DIMM sockets. With the 512MB in there already, either as
1x512MB or 2x256MB, there are at least 2 DIMM sockets to add memory. If
the system has 1x512MB, either remove the 512MB or pair it up with
another 512MB, in addition to getting 2x1GB...

Old March 4th 09, 05:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
TompangBuddy.Com

Hello,

Only 64 bit OSes can fully use 4GB.

32 bit windows XP will only show 3.2GB - 3.5GB.

Since RAM is cheap and you can afford it, why not. Many people still buy 4GB
despite the limitation to use in 32 bit operating systems. With more RAM,
you can run more programs as well.

---
http://www.tompangbuddy.com
Share Cab, Carpool and Save Earth in Singapore
http://www.bootstrike.com/Webdesign/
Singapore Web Design

Old March 4th 09, 05:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Ben Myers Wrote:
The 4700 has 4 DIMM sockets. With the 512MB in there already, either as
1x512MB or 2x256MB, there are at least 2 DIMM sockets to add memory. If
the system has 1x512MB, either remove the 512MB or pair it up with
another 512MB, in addition to getting 2x1GB...

If you are running a 32-bit operating system, 3GB is the practical
maximum. You won't see much difference in performance between 2.5GB and
3GB unless you are someone who likes to have many, many windows open at
the same time. Stand pat with 2.5GB... Ben Myers