Best To Wait for Vista

Old October 27th 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
gg

Default Best To Wait for Vista

Perhaps some like to read these comments,
it is ironic that those who need this most will not have a computer
and thus remain blissfully unaware.-gg

==== WinInfo Blog ====

by Paul Thurrott,
http://www.winsupersite.com/

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles...037/94037.html

This week's announcement about the Windows Vista Express Upgrade
program--whereby consumers purchasing new PCs can get coupons for free
or reduced-cost versions of Vista early next year--raises a simple
question: Should you buy a PC now or wait? I can't stress this
strongly enough: You should wait. The experience of buying a PC
preinstalled with Vista will be vastly superior to the experience of
upgrading Windows XP to Vista yourself. I'd even take the "wait"
advice to the next level: Not only should you wait for Vista; you
should wait until PC makers ship Vista-specific hardware in the first
half of 2007. If you buy a PC very early in 2007, you'll simply get
the previous year's PC designs with Vista shoehorned inside.
Obviously, some people can't wait, and if you're technical enough or
simply must have Vista now for some reason, go for it. But the vast
majority of Windows users will benefit greatly by having a little
patience.

Old October 28th 06, 12:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ogden Johnson III

gg wrote:

Perhaps some like to read these comments,
it is ironic that those who need this most will not have a computer
and thus remain blissfully unaware.-gg

==== WinInfo Blog ====

by Paul Thurrott,
http://www.winsupersite.com/

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Articles...037/94037.html

[snip]

Obviously, some people can't wait, and if you're technical enough or
simply must have Vista now for some reason, go for it. But the vast
majority of Windows users will benefit greatly by having a little
patience.

Or, like many of us who've been bitten too many times by M$,

wait for Vista SP1 - better yet, SP2, if you can.

--
Ogden Johnson
(ne OJ III)
Old October 31st 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe

I think most users will be saying, why do I need to upgrade to Visa. WinXP
does everything I could possibly want. It's what I'm saying, If I was to buy
a new computer I'd probably just format it then install WinXP. I also think
most people will be saying why should I give Microsoft more money, they've
had enough of it already.

Old October 31st 06, 08:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Hank Arnold

Look, bottom line is that for 99.9% of the people who own PC's, they
will *NEVER* upgrade the OS on their computer. Period. Ain't gonna
happen. There have been numerous theories as to why OS/2, superior to
Windows at the time, failed so miserably in the consumer market. My take
has always been that it failed because IBM lost the pre-install war.
Once all PC's shipped with Windows pre-installed, OS/2 was as good as dead.

The same applies, albeit a bit less to corporate environments. While
there may be some situations where the new features of Vista make sense
compared to the upgrade and support costs, most of us will wait until we
order new systems. WinXP works just fine and few of us will see any
driving motivation to upgrade, certainly not until SP1 is shipped....

Regards,
Hank Arnold