Quality cooler for overclocking barton

Old March 26th 04, 01:40 PM
Jason Fox

Default Quality cooler for overclocking barton

Would appreciate if someone can recommend me a quality cooler for
overclocking barton 2500+. I don't find the noise level as important
as the cooling capabilities, as long as it's within acceptable levels.
Thanks in advance.
Old March 26th 04, 04:06 PM
rms

sp-97 or slk947 and a 92mm 40db sunon or ystech fan. www.2cooltek.com among
others.

rms

Old March 26th 04, 07:52 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Simon Powell" wrote
one word (swiftech) pick what fan you want 80 or 92mm

Hi,
I was thinking of getting a Swiftech HSF but all the people I speak to say
go with the Thermalright SP-94 (or SP-97 for AMD).

To the O.P, You could start at something like a CoolerMaster Aero 7 LITE,
and go all the way up to a Thermalright or Swiftech heatsink, in fact you
could spend more money on your cooling than you did on your CPU!
--
Wayne ][
Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!

Old March 26th 04, 10:05 PM
EzAk

check out zalman 7000 all copper, will void your motherboard warrenty
but it cools great and is very quit, my abit chipset fan makes more noise

Simon Powell wrote:
one word (swiftech) pick what fan you want 80 or 92mm
om...

Old March 27th 04, 03:37 AM
David Maynard

kony wrote:

On 26 Mar 2004 05:40:05 -0800, (Jason Fox) wrote:

Would appreciate if someone can recommend me a quality cooler for
overclocking barton 2500+. I don't find the noise level as important
as the cooling capabilities, as long as it's within acceptable levels.
Thanks in advance.

Well since you don't care if it's loud, just pick anything with a
exceptionally high-CFM fan on it, but at least with a copper baseplate if
not all copper. Then again, "within acceptable levels" doesn't tell us a
whole lot... for example some people think Intel's retail 'sinks are quiet
but I find them annoyingly whiney.

The key thing is budget. For each addt'l $ you can get a little better up
to a point, also depending on how much searching for a good deal you're
willing to do. For a moderately good cooler you might consider the
Thermaltake Silent boost, though as it's named, "Silent" is it's strong
point. For the best cooling at moderately reasonable prices you migth
look for sales on Thermalright's line, SLK-800, 900, 947, SP97, etc., then
buy the 3rd party fan you want for it.

All good points.

Some people like the swiftechs but the current generation of thermalrights,
SLK-800 and up, win in every heatsink review I've seen.

Looking at the price breaks (from pricewatch), the low end SLK700 comes in
at $24 (without fan, as is usual for thermalright heatsinks) and is a good
compromise between cost, performance, and noise ('desktop' 38dba levels
with the YS TECH 36CFM TMD fan, what thermalright rates it with). The next
jump is to the SLK-800, at $36, through the SLK-900-A/U at $38 so one might
as well get the 900 for 2 more bucks, if no clearance problems. The SLK947U
is an additional 8 bucks but is only the 4 leg mount. The top of the line
is the SP-94, with heatpipes, and the price jumps to $52.

These things, like all of the 'super' coolers, are rated and reviewed with
what most people find to be outrageously noisy fans, 55dba on the SLK900,
but the high performance of the heatsink means one can use a more
'reasonable' fan and get excellent cooling. By comparison, I'm using the
now discontinued Thermalright AX7 with a Sunon 50.6CFM 80mm fan rated at 40
dba on my XP mobile 2400 overclocked to 2.4 gig with 1.825 Vcore. Using the
'maximum' thermal rating of the XP at stock speeds, then extrapolating from
the increased Vcore and clock, that comes to an estimated worst case power
dissipation of about 100watts (if one figures 'typical' that would be more
like 80 watts) and that AX7/Sunon combo is keeping it under 50C with a 27C
ambient and 6C case rise (yes, I could do better but I like to be able to
hear things other than case whoosh). The SLK-800/900 series should do a bit
better.

Thermalright is odd, compared to the rest, in their ratings. For example,
they say XP2800+, and up, for the SP-97 and then say in their FAQ that,
yes, you can use it with an XP3200 because it "can handle 120W of thermal
dissipation energy with ease." ("ease" is the key word.) I mean, their
ratings are more like 'why the heck would you use it on something LESS than
this speed?' rather than 'we tested it up to here and it stayed within
AMD's maximum temperature spec'.

Poor quality from OKI C7350 with S700 Scancopier Tonny Iversen General 0 December 3rd 04 12:26 PM
Compusa good deal on some maddog accessories like Hard Disk cooler [email protected] General 0 June 15th 04 10:21 AM
DIY CPU water cooler won't post,.. please send help mrdancer Overclocking 3 October 23rd 03 11:26 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Overclocking 37 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM