Suggestions to improve Wolfenstein ET/gaming on my PC

Old July 26th 03, 04:45 PM
Mitchua

Default Suggestions to improve Wolfenstein ET/gaming on my PC

I have an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with 512MB of DDR memory and a Radeon 7000
64MB using an ASUS motherboard. I've been running Wolfenstein Enemy
Territory at 800X600 using medium detail. The game looks ok but it is a
little jumpy on levels where it's snowing or raining, and all the figures
look pretty boxy. What can I do to be able to raise the detail level and
show the game "in all it's glory"? Is it as simple as dishing out $120CND
for a Radeon 9500 or something. Is there anything else I can do without
upgrading the processor/mobo? The levels load very fast so I'm sure the
bottleneck is in the video system, not the processor.

Has anyone played this game with a comparable system but with a better video
card? Can you run it at full resolution?

Thanks for your help.
--Mitchua

Old July 26th 03, 09:45 PM
123xxxxx

whats the amd equivalent to the pentium range? i got a pentium 4 2.2ghz
creative ti4400 gf4 768MB and dsl, about the same as yours and it runs great
if not a bit jerky due to some ppl lagging

le.rogers.com...

Old July 26th 03, 10:16 PM
Cyde Weys

Mitchua wrote:

I have an AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with 512MB of DDR memory and a Radeon 7000
64MB using an ASUS motherboard. I've been running Wolfenstein Enemy
Territory at 800X600 using medium detail. The game looks ok but it is a
little jumpy on levels where it's snowing or raining, and all the figures
look pretty boxy. What can I do to be able to raise the detail level and
show the game "in all it's glory"? Is it as simple as dishing out $120CND
for a Radeon 9500 or something. Is there anything else I can do without
upgrading the processor/mobo? The levels load very fast so I'm sure the
bottleneck is in the video system, not the processor.

Has anyone played this game with a comparable system but with a better
video
card? Can you run it at full resolution?

Thanks for your help.
--Mitchua

The videocard is your problem. The processor is definitely fast enough,
but the old Radeon 7000 just doesn't cut it with today's games.

--
Usenet is a strange reality where you see people beating up a patch of
grass where nine years ago there used to be a horse. -Nuke

Old July 27th 03, 12:12 AM
Faustus

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:45:16 GMT, "Mitchua" wrote:

[...]

Yup...the vidcard is the problem. I have a XP1700 and a GF4 4200ti and
run ET at 1024x768 with very little jerkiness (get more jerkiness from
SOF2 BTW).

Need a GF4 or Radeon 9500 to really enjoy the game.

Fauistus

Dave King -- Faustus
HomePage | http://home.earthlink.net/~davidkinghsd/index.html
ICQ : 329002
Old July 27th 03, 05:57 AM
Mitchua

"Faustus" wrote in message
[...]

There's a big price jump between the Radeon 9100 and the 9500. Is it really
worth the extra money? Or should I just stear clear of that all together
and make the move to GF4?

Your GF4 4200ti has 128MB of memory, right?

--Mitchua

Old July 28th 03, 05:29 PM
Xel Lagaffe

Just curious, have you done any tweaks with the game itself? "I.e.
"cg_rate", "snaps" and all the other cool things?"

Xel
___
le.rogers.com...

Old July 29th 03, 12:52 AM
Mitchua

"Xel Lagaffe" wrote in message
Just curious, have you done any tweaks with the game itself? "I.e.
"cg_rate", "snaps" and all the other cool things?"

Are there any resource sites I should check out? I found a bunch of RTCW
tweaks but none for Enemy Territory. I wouldn't want to do anything that
would get me PunkBusted from servers.

Mitchua

Xel
___
le.rogers.com...

Old July 29th 03, 08:56 AM
Xel Lagaffe

You don't get "busted" for changing you're rate, snaps or com_maxfps. I
dunno about Wolf, but you could try
Google, with the search parameters: Console + Command + tweaks + Wolf/Quake3

I do a little Quake 3 Arena from time to time, but in the past I very much
had the same specs you have on you're machine. I did 800x600 resolution on
a ISDN dialup, and Quake ran very smoothly.

It's worth to check out! Just remember to take a backup of you're original
"config.cfg" and any other external config file you might have..

Good Luck!

Rgds,

Xel Lagaffe
___
"Mitchua" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
"Xel Lagaffe" wrote in message
Just curious, have you done any tweaks with the game itself? "I.e.
"cg_rate", "snaps" and all the other cool things?"

Are there any resource sites I should check out? I found a bunch of RTCW
tweaks but none for Enemy Territory. I wouldn't want to do anything that
would get me PunkBusted from servers.

Mitchua

Xel
___