Running Laptop With Lid Closed - Overheating

Old July 15th 09, 12:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Camper[_2_]

Default Running Laptop With Lid Closed - Overheating

I have been reading recent threads about systems overheating and was
wondering whether I might be asking for trouble with my Dell Studio 1737
which is a couple of months old. I normally have it connected to an
external monitor, keyboard and mouse and run it with the lid closed. I
have not had any problems doing so yet but am I looking for trouble doing
this?

Thanks for your help.

Camper

Old July 15th 09, 10:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Singapore Computer Service[_2_]

Hello,

Heat dissipates at the sides and at the bottom, not at the top. But the
keyboard surface may still get warm and transfer the heat to the LCD. In the
long term, this may cause visible marks but not in the range of overheating.

You can use programs such as MonOff or Wizmo to turn off the LCD without
having to close the lid. Use utilities like I8KFANGUI and SpeedSwitch to
control and monitor fan speeds, temperature and CPU speed. More tips at our
XPS article here http://www.bootstrike.com/Articles/D...210/index.html

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service

Old July 15th 09, 11:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pierre

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:02:05 +1000, "Camper" wrote:

I have been reading recent threads about systems overheating and was
wondering whether I might be asking for trouble with my Dell Studio 1737
which is a couple of months old. I normally have it connected to an
external monitor, keyboard and mouse and run it with the lid closed. I
have not had any problems doing so yet but am I looking for trouble doing
this?

I can see no credible reason why it would be any different from the lid_open
situation. The cooling air inlet and exhaust aren't affected by the lid
position (unless that model is rather unusual).

Just my 2c WAG.
Old July 15th 09, 12:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"pierre" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:02:05 +1000, "Camper" wrote:

I have been reading recent threads about systems overheating and was
wondering whether I might be asking for trouble with my Dell Studio 1737
which is a couple of months old. I normally have it connected to an
external monitor, keyboard and mouse and run it with the lid closed. I
have not had any problems doing so yet but am I looking for trouble doing
this?

I can see no credible reason why it would be any different from the
lid_open
situation. The cooling air inlet and exhaust aren't affected by the lid
position (unless that model is rather unusual).

Just my 2c WAG.

but in many laptops the keyboard acts as a heatsink to dissapate some of the
component heat

Old July 15th 09, 03:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

"Camper" wrote in
:

I have been reading recent threads about systems overheating and was
wondering whether I might be asking for trouble with my Dell Studio
1737 which is a couple of months old. I normally have it connected to
an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and run it with the lid
closed. I have not had any problems doing so yet but am I looking
for trouble doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Camper

I wouldn't do it. I finally got my wife to turn her laptop off when not in
use (and plugged in), rather than just closing the lid. The keyboard would
get really hot with the machine running and the lid closed. The heat was
transferred to the LCD, and even the outside of the case was hotter to the
touch than otherwise.

You could be asking for trouble, especially if the cooling vents are
clogged.
Old July 15th 09, 11:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan

I think this will depend on the model of the laptop. I imagine the
Latitude's would be fine to run with the lid closed because that is how the
docking station/monitor stands are designed for them, I have no experience
with your model but it would depend on how hot it gets when in normal
operation with the lid open. I have an Inspiron 8600 that is 4 years old and
I know that it overheats when run closed even with all the air vents and
heat sinks cleaned.

Old July 16th 09, 08:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Camper[_2_]

"Camper" wrote in message
I have been reading recent threads about systems overheating and was
wondering whether I might be asking for trouble with my Dell Studio 1737
which is a couple of months old. I normally have it connected to an
external monitor, keyboard and mouse and run it with the lid closed. I
have not had any problems doing so yet but am I looking for trouble doing
this?

Thanks for your help.

Camper

Thanks all for you advice. I have started running it with lid only open
about 1/2 inch. That way the monitor is not on but some air can get in.

Regards,

Camper

Old July 16th 09, 02:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Charles

"Camper" wrote in message
I have been reading recent threads about systems overheating and was
wondering whether I might be asking for trouble with my Dell Studio
1737 which is a couple of months old. I normally have it connected
to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and run it with the lid
closed. I have not had any problems doing so yet but am I looking
for trouble doing this?

Thanks for your help.

Camper

Thanks all for you advice. I have started running it with lid only open
about 1/2 inch. That way the monitor is not on but some air can get in.

Regards,

Camper

Do you have a valid reason for leaving it running instead of hibernating
or stand-by? My laptop resumes from hibernation in about 20 seconds
which keeps me from worrying about overheating.

Charles
Old July 16th 09, 02:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
olfart

"Camper" wrote in message
[...]

guess you didn't read the OP original post. He is using an ext monitor in
place of the laptop LCD

Old July 16th 09, 04:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Charles

olfart wrote:

"Camper" wrote in message
[...]

Read that but it didn't click. Sorry about that. Comprehension sucks
as you get older!!

Charles