Good Greeting Card software options? Paper options?

Old December 18th 07, 05:32 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
markm75

Default Good Greeting Card software options? Paper options?

I'm seeking a good greeting card maker tool.. something that would
allow for quarter fold or half fold.. also photo type half folds
(front = photo, inside = mostly text or banners etc)...

Currently i have Print Shop21.. and MS publisher 2007.. PS21 works out
ok, but the graphics are kinda cheesy and cartoonish.. MS Publisher
gets a little better..

Any other good options out there?

Then there is the cost per page, not counting ink..

I believe for a semi-glossy/glossy type print for photo half cards..
the cheapest option is:

Avery 3269 Glossy, 15 cards with envelopes:
http://www.google.com/products?q=ave...z=1I7GGLJ&um=1

This amounts to about 0.88 cents per card.

I like having the semi-gloss or glossy look to photo style cards (i'm
not sure if satin may be cheaper, or have the same look, i cant recall
what satin feels like, sounds silly but true)...

Has anyone found a cheaper per card cost material for semi-gloss or
glossy style photo half fold style cards?

Any thoughts on the good program to do it all?

(I also use EzCalendar maker for calendars, but there are some
features lacking here as well).

Thanks for any thoughts
Old December 18th 07, 08:52 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

markm75 wrote:

Avery 3269 Glossy, 15 cards with envelopes:
http://www.google.com/products?q=ave...z=1I7GGLJ&um=1

This amounts to about 0.88 cents per card.

Just another case of ripping off the rubes for consumables. Perhaps what
we should do is to make our own paper or form a printer consumables
cooperative.

Richard
Old December 18th 07, 09:01 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Taliesyn

markm75 wrote:
[...]

This year I used glossy dollar store paper (8.5" x 11"). I get 10 sheets
for $1.00 + tax = 14 cents a sheet (card). Card size when printed,
folded and trimmed was about 5.5" x 5.5", for which I made my own
custom envelopes. I also refill my own cartridges for about a dollar a
cartridge. So a wild guess as to my cost per card was about 20 cents
(including the ink). Postage not included! :-)

The paper I normally used for cards was Epson Glossy Photo. It's
primarily designed for photos. But I find photos don't look like
traditional photos with this paper so instead I use it for booklet
covers, greeting cards and CD/DVD liners. Absolutely perfect for this
kind of use.

Any thoughts on the good program to do it all?

I have used Serif PagePlus exclusively for the last 15 years. PagePlus
is on a par with any top-of-the-line desktop publishing software.
There's nothing it can't do. But it all comes down to how talented you
are and your knowledge of what the software can do. I have never used
their greeting card, CD/DVD printing templates templates, preferring
instead to design all my own templates.

-Taliesyn

Old December 19th 07, 01:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Taliesyn wrote:
markm75 wrote:
[...]

I went for quality and use Canon and HP ink.

Old December 19th 07, 02:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite[_2_]

Taliesyn wrote:

This year I used glossy dollar store paper (8.5" x 11"). I get 10 sheets
for $1.00 + tax = 14 cents a sheet (card). Card size when printed,
folded and trimmed was about 5.5" x 5.5", for which I made my own
custom envelopes. I also refill my own cartridges for about a dollar a
cartridge. So a wild guess as to my cost per card was about 20 cents
(including the ink). Postage not included! :-)

You think that's good paper. It's not. Only use expensive paper made for
your printer. This cheap paper will damage your printer. Your print
heads will stick to the paper and shred. God has ordained that all
printer users must suffer while they pay the multi-million dollar salary
and buy the stock options for the printer makers' CEOs. Your nose will
dissolve in water.
Old December 19th 07, 08:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

"measekite" wrote in message
Taliesyn wrote:

This year I used glossy dollar store paper (8.5" x 11"). I get 10 sheets
for $1.00 + tax = 14 cents a sheet (card). Card size when printed,
folded and trimmed was about 5.5" x 5.5", for which I made my own
custom envelopes. I also refill my own cartridges for about a dollar a
cartridge. So a wild guess as to my cost per card was about 20 cents
(including the ink). Postage not included! :-)

You think that's good paper. It's not. Only use expensive paper made for
your printer. This cheap paper will damage your printer. Your print heads
will stick to the paper and shred. God has ordained that all printer users
must suffer while they pay the multi-million dollar salary and buy the
stock options for the printer makers' CEOs. Your nose will dissolve in
water.

The first post from Measekite that has made any sense. Is he back on his
meds?????

Old December 19th 07, 09:05 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

"Taliesyn" wrote in message
markm75 wrote:
[...]

Photoshop Elements and Staples photo supreme double side matte paper.
Coated especially for inkjet printing, a good weight and feel, and prints
decent photo images. It is frequently on sale as a two for one purchase.
In addition, it sometimes goes on sale for $2 US per package. That is when
I stock up.

If you want glossy or semigloss papers the only one I've used that can be
printed on both sides is the paper that Taliesyn mentioned - Epson glossy
photo paper. The back side is not glossy but it accepts inkjet ink
printing. The back does have a faint repeating Epson logo, but it is hardly
noticeable. Other glossy papers I have used have a coated back that doen't
accept inkjet printing.

Old December 19th 07, 12:11 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson

Burt wrote:
"measekite" wrote in message
Taliesyn wrote:

[...]

It may not be him. This post wasn't kill filed for me so either he
changed his posting name or someone is imitating him.
Old December 19th 07, 01:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Michael Johnson wrote:
Burt wrote:
"measekite" wrote in message
Taliesyn wrote:

This year I used glossy dollar store paper (8.5" x 11"). I get 10
sheets
for $1.00 + tax = 14 cents a sheet (card). Card size when printed,
folded and trimmed was about 5.5" x 5.5", for which I made my own
custom envelopes. I also refill my own cartridges for about a dollar a
cartridge. So a wild guess as to my cost per card was about 20 cents
(including the ink). Postage not included! :-)
YThis year I used glossy dollar store paper (8.5" x 11"). I get 10

Old December 19th 07, 04:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
markm75

Has anyone used Hallmark 2008 Studio.. i was considering something
like this.. at least so the wife can more easily do this instead of
putting me to work

I had a new issue with my printer last night (Canon MP380).. it seems
to be "smudging" on photo prints..actually, when printing postage and
envelopes.. it leaves a black streak of a mess at the start of the
envelope...

I'm guessing i have dirty roller or something similar?