Matrox G550 freezing in safe-mode

Old August 22nd 06, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Tom Del Rosso

Default Matrox G550 freezing in safe-mode

After I installed a G550 (not LP) a few days ago, when I try to boot in safe
mode it freezes on the progress bar. The Matroz knowledge base doesn't even
list this model. Is anything known about this?

I have what looks like the only Win2k driver for this card on the Matrox
site. Version on first driver file in list is 6.12.01.1960.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

Old August 22nd 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Larc

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 00:29:25 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:

| After I installed a G550 (not LP) a few days ago, when I try to boot in safe
| mode it freezes on the progress bar. The Matroz knowledge base doesn't even
| list this model. Is anything known about this?
|
| I have what looks like the only Win2k driver for this card on the Matrox
| site. Version on first driver file in list is 6.12.01.1960.

If you're running Win2k or XP, the correct driver is 5.96.004 dated 8 May 2006.
You'll find it on this page beside Matrox Millennium G550 and under the name of
your OS:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/dr...atest/home.cfm

Try to uninstall any drivers you've already installed before installing the
correct one.

Larc

Old August 22nd 06, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Tom Del Rosso

"Larc" wrote in message

If you're running Win2k or XP, the correct driver is 5.96.004 dated 8
May 2006. You'll find it on this page beside Matrox Millennium G550
and under the name of your OS:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/dr...atest/home.cfm

Try to uninstall any drivers you've already installed before
installing the correct one.

Thanks but that's what I have now. The version number I wrote is from the
driver file g400dhm.sys, but the exe I downloaded to install it is the same
xp2k_596_004.exe.

It's so recent that it must be the latest. I don't know much about Matrox
chipsets, but is it possible that a driver for a different card might work?

Old August 22nd 06, 04:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Tom Del Rosso

"Larc" wrote in message

If you're running Win2k or XP, the correct driver is 5.96.004 dated 8
May 2006. You'll find it on this page beside Matrox Millennium G550
and under the name of your OS:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/dr...atest/home.cfm

Try to uninstall any drivers you've already installed before
installing the correct one.

Oh, and my BIOS is the latest from ASUS too (A8N-SLI v1014 December 2005).

I'm at a loss for an answer. If it was only freezing in safe mode that
wouldn't be so bad, but it also freezes when I run my old DOS CAD programs
which are hard to replace.

Old August 22nd 06, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Larc

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 03:04:05 GMT, "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:

| "Larc" wrote in message
|
| If you're running Win2k or XP, the correct driver is 5.96.004 dated 8
| May 2006. You'll find it on this page beside Matrox Millennium G550
| and under the name of your OS:
|
| http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/dr...atest/home.cfm
|
| Try to uninstall any drivers you've already installed before
| installing the correct one.
|
| Thanks but that's what I have now. The version number I wrote is from the
| driver file g400dhm.sys, but the exe I downloaded to install it is the same
| xp2k_596_004.exe.
|
| It's so recent that it must be the latest. I don't know much about Matrox
| chipsets, but is it possible that a driver for a different card might work?

That sounds strange. If it were working in Safe Mode and freezing going into
Windows, I'd think you might have selected an unsupported setting. You might
try going to the Matrox Forum for a possible solution. Matrox techs read that
and can solve most problems that are thrown their way.

http://forum.matrox.com/mga/

I'm assuming you did delete all drivers from any previous video card before
installing the Matrox drivers. Or in the event there were previous Matrox
drivers, they would have needed to be uninstalled via Add or Remove Programs
before installing the new ones.

Larc

Old August 22nd 06, 01:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Tom Del Rosso

"Larc" wrote in message

That sounds strange. If it were working in Safe Mode and freezing
going into Windows, I'd think you might have selected an unsupported
setting. You might try going to the Matrox Forum for a possible
solution. Matrox techs read that and can solve most problems that
are thrown their way.

http://forum.matrox.com/mga/

Thanks.

I'm assuming you did delete all drivers from any previous video card
before installing the Matrox drivers. Or in the event there were
previous Matrox drivers, they would have needed to be uninstalled via
Add or Remove Programs before installing the new ones.

Yeah, I uninstalled them before shutting down to swap cards. I had MSI
before, and replaced it because the monitor would go into standby when
switching tasks to a DOS program in standard VGA mode. With the G550 it
freezes in that situation, but only for some DOS apps and safe mode.

Mixed mode cd's? smh Cdr 0 April 17th 06 09:25 PM
Updating drivers from Safe Mode? Mulehead Ati Videocards 5 March 4th 06 01:03 PM
video card replaced, machine will only boot to safe mode hiphop General 2 November 5th 03 08:06 AM
Power Surge David LeBrun General 44 September 12th 03 02:35 AM