vista 64 bit

Old May 18th 09, 02:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pacca[_3_]

Default vista 64 bit

I did a clean install vista 64 bit ,which before I had 32 bit,it took up
33.8 gb of hard disk space,seems like alot,it shows program file and
programs files (x86),is x86 from the 32 bit,can that be deleted? I also have
2 versions IE 7&8,Whats going on.Help

Old May 18th 09, 03:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh[_2_]

Hi!

I did a clean install vista 64 bit ,which before I had 32 bit,it took up
33.8 gb of hard disk space,seems like alot,it shows program file and
programs files (x86),is x86 from the 32 bit,can that be deleted? I also have
2 versions IE 7&8,Whats going on.Help

You need less commas and more periods to separate your sentences.

All 64-bit versions of Windows come with some 32-bit components. There
are at least two reasons why this is done--because 32-bit programs may
need them and also because you may need them. For example, some plug-
ins don't work in a 64-bit browser, so a 32-bit one is provided. 32-
bit programs can't call on 64-bit libraries directly.

In other words, don't delete the 32-bit x86 items.

I doubt that you really still have IE7 available. Every version of
Windows since Windows 2000 has had so-called "system file protection".
As such, Internet Explorer 8 may have to leave pieces of the IE7
installation bundled with Vista in place.

William
Old May 18th 09, 04:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pacca[_3_]

I had a ton of restore points,I deleted them now I'm showing 22.6 gb space
used.Thanks for your reply
Hi!

Old May 18th 09, 07:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

pacca wrote:
[...]

Yes, the proper unit of measure for restore points is usually "tons".
Management of restore points remains essentially non-existent, with the
exception that one can delete all the restore points other than the last
one. Choosing the right restore point to go back to is a black art.
64-bit OS restore points are even lumpier and more bloated than the
32-bit ones. 11GB reduction in hard drive use by deleting restore
points is something to write home about... Ben Myer
Old May 19th 09, 03:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
WSZsr

If you just did a clean insall you wouldn't have 11gbs of restore points.
Are you sure you did a clean install?

Old May 19th 09, 03:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan

"WSZsr" wrote in message
If you just did a clean insall you wouldn't have 11gbs of restore points.
Are you sure you did a clean install?

You can't do an upgrade from 32bit to 64bit so I am sure the OP has done a
clean install, and the reason for all the restore points is likely all the
windows updates and driver installations since the install. Vista loves
making lots of massive restore points.

Old May 19th 09, 05:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Robert McMillan wrote:
"WSZsr" wrote in message
If you just did a clean insall you wouldn't have 11gbs of restore
points. Are you sure you did a clean install?

You can't do an upgrade from 32bit to 64bit so I am sure the OP has done
a clean install, and the reason for all the restore points is likely all
the windows updates and driver installations since the install. Vista
loves making lots of massive restore points.

Windows Vista restore points have been included by the US Congress in
the latest stimulus bill, lobbied for by Seagate and Western Digital,
the two remaining US hard drive companies. You can find the legislation
in the section labeled "Hard Drive Sales Stimulus Act of 2009."

After doing a basic install of Windows, one can turn off the restore
points until the myriads of Windows updates (and other useful stuff like
Java, Acrobat, Shockwave, Flash, Direct X, Office, and AV software) are
installed. But then if something goes really wrong during all these
updates, there is no good restore point available. So the best approach
is to install everything with restore points, then delete all of them
once the overall install is completed.

Now think of this: How many garden variety computer owners even know
that restore points exist and wonder why available hard drive space
keeps shrinking?

Willy Shakespeare once wrote "What tangled webs we weave..." Instead of
the 12th night of Windows, we have the 20-something year of it, and it
plays out like a bad soap opera... Ben Myers

Old May 19th 09, 07:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pacca[_3_]

of course I did a format,did you stop to think that all those restore points
came windows updates,by the way 64 bit vista flys,I bet it's 35-40% faster
then 32 bit.

Old May 19th 09, 11:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"pacca" wrote in message ...
of course I did a format,did you stop to think that all those restore
points came windows updates,by the way 64 bit vista flys,I bet it's 35-40%
faster then 32 bit.

11GB?

I stopped to think that the number/amount/capacity of those restore files
might be inadvertently incorrect.