Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have Now

Old March 9th 09, 08:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan

Default Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have Now

"BillW50" wrote in message
In ,
Monica typed on Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:28:04 -0600:
I don't think I need a RAID system/drive. I'll be putting my internal
backup drive in the 420. I do a backup every day..not of the system,
just selected files/folders. I'm ok with that. But, are my two SATA
drives no longer going to be seen as SATAs? I guessthis means slower
drives? I just removed the Barracuda SATA internal backup drive from
the 8400. It was connected to the mb with one blue cable. With the
newer mb, will it connect with the same cable?
Installed the Monitor driver found on the website for XPS 420/XP
drivers. I couldn't finish the setup. I was to go to Desktop
Properties/Settings/Advanced/Monitor/Properties. The monitor
Properties is grayed out. I have an UltraSharp 2005FPW that is
connected with a DVI cable.
Device Manager shows the following problems:
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/110032852
The drivers I downloaded from the XPS 420/XP page that S. Lewis
posted were for the
chipset
Audio
Monitor
Network
SATA (does this mean I can rest the SATA operations in the BIOS?)
The others didn't seem to apply to me.

Monica (who can see the light at the end of the tunnel)

"Brian K" wrote in message

When it came time to install Windows, I got a
bsod...STOP: 0x0000007B and a few other strands of meaningless mess.
Tried it again with the same results. Changed computers and Googled
0x0000007B.

Your WinXP CD is over 4 years old and it doesn't have drivers for
your current storage controller. The WinXP CD that came with my 8400
didn't even have drivers for my 9150's storage controller. I found
that out when I tried to set up a dual boot. If you want to have
RAID/Auto/AHCI mode, you need these drivers. I don't know whether
they can be easily installed at this stage so you can revert to
RAID/Auto/AHCI.

Yes Monica, you need the Dell's SATA driver. Otherwise you have to live
with the slower performance.

Probably the easiest way of getting Dell's drivers for the raid controller
would be to buy a Dell XP SP3 cd off eBay. You can get them cheap because
they arent the license just reinstall media and given most machines
currently don't come with floppy drives you have the driver without having
to go through the process of manually slipstreaming it yourself.

Old March 9th 09, 09:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Brian K" wrote in message

[...]

Yep. A Dell badged WinXP Home/Pro Service Pack 3 CD wouldn't have the issue.

That disc was the breakthrough for my ridding myself of the same STOP/BSODs
when attempting to set up a RAID1......

I had the SP3 slip-streaming information but had not made time to try it/use
it.

Old March 9th 09, 09:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

"Robert McMillan" wrote in message

Probably the easiest way of getting Dell's drivers for the raid controller
would be to buy a Dell XP SP3 cd off eBay. You can get them cheap because
they arent the license just reinstall media and given most machines
currently don't come with floppy drives you have the driver without having
to go through the process of manually slipstreaming it yourself.

Monica,

That's an excellent suggestion from Robert. You could do a Repair Install
with that CD.

You may have the drivers installed now (download from Dell in the SATA
drives section) and it's worth changing the BIOS to AHCI and see if the OS
boots. If not change back to your current setting.

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/d...atid=&impid =

Old March 9th 09, 09:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Oops,

This page instead...

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/d... =en&TabIndex=

Old March 9th 09, 09:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Still wrong. Change it to WinXP.

Old March 10th 09, 01:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Monica wrote:
Ben, is the chipset the one listed at this link?
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19242664.aspx

Intel X38 (Bearlake X) Chipset ?
Should it be installed before I update to SP3?

Is "Network", in the same list above, the Ethernet driver I'm looking for?

My video card is the Radeon 2400 (not Pro). Pro is the only driver listed.
Will it work?

Monica

SNIP

"Brian K" wrote in message
I hope you are now installing WinXP. I forgot to say "Don't" choose Wipe
Partition. Not unless you have a spare year or two.

The required steps immediately after installing XP SP2 a

1. Install Intel(?) chipset drivers (ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL FIRST STEP!)
2. Install Ethernet drivers

Thereafter, the computer should have internet access. Next, in any order:

3. video drivers
4. audio drivers
5. other hardware drivers

In other words, before doing much else, make sure that all of the hardware
has the appropriate drivers installed. The typical pre-installation job
is to gather all the required drivers together on a flash stick (best) or
burned onto a CD (OK, but a waste of a CD).

... Ben Myers

My rule of thumb has always been to get all the computer drivers
installed before doing any updates. And that's why I use a USB thumb
drive to install the drivers, usually downloaded onto my main system
here. ;) If you use a thumb drive (or even burn a CD) with all the
drivers, the order of installation of drivers AFTER each chipset is
unimportant. Also, once you have rebooted after installing the
motherboard chipset drivers, you do not have to reboot after each and
every subsequent driver install, despite messages nagging you to do so.
This saves you time.

Use the driver list at the referenced URL. If the Radeon 2400 Pro
driver does not work for your just plain Radeon 2400 card, get the right
driver from the AMD/ATI web site. The way that ATI has developed its
drivers historically, the driver from the Dell web site is 90% probable
to work... Ben

Old March 10th 09, 02:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Changed the SATA Operations back to RAID...Windows couldn't load and had to
change it back. This means my new FreeAgent drives have been degraded too,
right?
I installed XP SP3 earlier today with a MS SP cd that I ordered from
Microsoft. Looked for a Dell XP SP3 cd on ebay but didn't find one.
If someone knows where to find a Dell SATA driver for XP that will work on
my 420, I would greatly appreciate it.
Ben, I used the link S. Lewis sent and downloaded all the applicable drivers
to a thumb drive. Installed them this morning. Is the SATA driver
listed on that site not the Dell SATA drivers I need for a XP install on the
420? The monitor driver didn't work. I think a monitor driver CD came with
the Dim 8400. I'll locate that and see if it solves my problem.
I have "?" marks, in Device Manager, for PCI Simple Communication Controller
(haven't a clue), Video Controller (VGA compatible), and XPS Mini View (not
important).
Right now window and internet scrolling is choppy. View on monitor is
crappy

"Monica" wrote in message
Thank you!
"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Monica" wrote in message
Ben, is the chipset the one listed at this link?
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19242664.aspx

Intel X38 (Bearlake X) Chipset ?
Should it be installed before I update to SP3?

Is "Network", in the same list above, the Ethernet driver I'm looking
for?

My video card is the Radeon 2400 (not Pro). Pro is the only driver
listed. Will it work?

Monica

1) X38 chipset, and yes. Install it first.

2) Yes, that is the correct network driver for the Intel 82566DC-2
Gigabit. Same version driver I have.

3) Your video card is, in fact, the HD 2400 Pro, same as mine was. Yes,
it will work.

HTH

Stewart

Old March 10th 09, 03:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Didn't expect this! In fact, I thought this was the easy part. Just took
out the 2 512mb and 2 1gb sticks of 240-pin DDR2 memory and replaced them
with my 4 1gb (Crucial brand) 240-PIN DIMM 128Mx64 DDR2 PC2-4200. System
beeped (long beeps) when I turned it on. Unplugged it and reseated the
memory. Same thing.
Should these have worked? The ones that came in the 420 are 240-pin, 128x64
DDR2 as well.
Monica
"BillW50" wrote in message
In ,
typed on Sun, 8 Mar 2009 21:56:11 -0500:
This is what I'm wanting to do Bill. Guess I just didn't word it
right. I don't need anything on Drive D and just bought 2 FreeAgent
external drives about six weeks ago. Everything was already backed
up on the external (in addition to an internal backup drive) when the
semi-explosion happened.

Old March 10th 09, 10:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

This driver says it is the OS preinstall driver. Should be what you
need. Put it on a Floppy (yes, a floppy, so you'll need a USB floppy
drive if you don't have an internal drive).

When the XP install first starts, press F6.

This is for Vista and XP.

Another choice is the latest XP SP2 Dell CD which should include the
drivers. Tough part is some do, some don't.

http://tinyurl.com/afxlgk

It DOES require an OS reinstall.

Posted At: Monday, March 09, 2009 9:23 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I
Have Now
Subject: Dell is Sending Me a New Computer Comparible to What I Have
Now

[...]

"Monica" wrote in message