XPS M1530 - no internet

Old March 5th 09, 02:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Donald Allen

Default XPS M1530 - no internet

This laptop will not recognize my cable modem. It works on all the other
computers here.
Cable modem is a Motorola SB4101 surfboard.
Not using a router. Direct connection from the modem to the LAN card in the
computer.
Any ideas?

Old March 5th 09, 03:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Donald Allen" wrote in message
news
This laptop will not recognize my cable modem. It works on all the other
computers here.
Cable modem is a Motorola SB4101 surfboard.
Not using a router. Direct connection from the modem to the LAN card in
the computer.
Any ideas?

1) Disable any software firewalls on the machine.

2) Check the ethernet port LEDs for any link activity

3) Temporarily disable your wireless connection if needed

4) Be sure the NIC/ethernet port is enabled in BIOS (F2 at the Dell splash)

Beyond that you could un then re-install the network adapter from device
manager if needed.......

Just some ideas to start tracking it down....

-Stew

Old March 5th 09, 03:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan

Is the laptop running on mains or battery? All Dell laptops I have used have
an option that when running on battery will check for a lan cable on startup
and if it is absent disable the card to save power. I would make sure that
the laptop is on mains power and try again.
HTH
Robert

Old March 5th 09, 12:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Donald Allen" wrote in message
It is running on mains. Never have used it on battery.
Thanks.
Donald

The integrated NIC just may be bad.

Does Windows note/detect when the cable is connected or disconnected?

You also made no mention of if the NIC has any LED activity.......

Wi-Fi driver same for M1330, M1530, M1730 Timothy Daniels[_2_] Dell Computers 0 August 27th 08 07:10 PM
Internet is up but IE is down - how to fix? noxbox Homebuilt PC's 8 June 10th 08 01:34 AM
M1530 computer chokes on Easy Transfer Utility eganders Dell Computers 4 June 4th 08 03:42 PM
m1530 questions kris Dell Computers 0 March 6th 08 03:40 PM
internet pc Dilbert Firestorm Homebuilt PC's 28 October 9th 03 04:29 PM