Good gaming monitor

Old December 2nd 08, 08:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_5_]

Default Good gaming monitor

I've got a friend who's in the market for a new monitor. I don't game
but so I'm not all that up on what's what in that area.

Any recommendations in the 22" neighborhood?

Thanks,

Bob
Old December 2nd 08, 09:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

Bob Levine wrote on Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:26:16 -0500:
I've got a friend who's in the market for a new monitor. I don't game
but so I'm not all that up on what's what in that area.

Any recommendations in the 22" neighborhood?

Thanks,

Bob

I wasn't aware that gaming required any fancy monitor. Just beefy video
card, CPU, and RAM under some conditions. Am I wrong?

--
Bill
Asus EEE PC 8GB 1GB SoDIMM Adata 16GB
Old December 2nd 08, 09:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_5_]

BillW50 wrote:

I wasn't aware that gaming required any fancy monitor. Just beefy video
card, CPU, and RAM under some conditions. Am I wrong?

Many LCDs simply can't handle the fast motion in games.

Bob

Old December 2nd 08, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

BillW50 wrote:
Bob Levine wrote on Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:26:16 -0500:
I've got a friend who's in the market for a new monitor. I don't game
but so I'm not all that up on what's what in that area.

Any recommendations in the 22" neighborhood?

Thanks,

Bob

I wasn't aware that gaming required any fancy monitor. Just beefy video
card, CPU, and RAM under some conditions. Am I wrong?

Some LCD monitors have refresh rates too slow to keep up with hyper-fast
games... Ben Myers
Old December 3rd 08, 03:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:53:12 -0500, Ben Myers
wrote:

BillW50 wrote:
Bob Levine wrote on Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:26:16 -0500:
I've got a friend who's in the market for a new monitor. I don't game
but so I'm not all that up on what's what in that area.

Any recommendations in the 22" neighborhood?

Thanks,

Bob

I wasn't aware that gaming required any fancy monitor. Just beefy video
card, CPU, and RAM under some conditions. Am I wrong?

Some LCD monitors have refresh rates too slow to keep up with hyper-fast
games... Ben Myers

Shucks Ben, you took the words right outa my mouth as I'm late to the
thread but let me say you are correct based on what I've read a couple
years ago. I was then in the market for a monitor and came across a
lot of gamer recommendations then. I'm not up on the latest brands
for gamers so I'll let someone else who is a gamer follow this post.
Old December 3rd 08, 03:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
BillW50 wrote:
Bob Levine wrote on Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:26:16 -0500:
I've got a friend who's in the market for a new monitor. I don't game
but so I'm not all that up on what's what in that area.

Any recommendations in the 22" neighborhood?

Thanks,

Bob

I wasn't aware that gaming required any fancy monitor. Just beefy video
card, CPU, and RAM under some conditions. Am I wrong?

Some LCD monitors have refresh rates too slow to keep up with hyper-fast
games... Ben Myers

I think this was more of an issue back when LCD monitors first came out.
These days monitors all seem to have sub 10ms responce times and so unless
your video card is capable of putting out more than 100 frames per second it
doesnt really matter. I am not a really serious gamer but have been playing
Crysis lately on a 24" Samsung 245B+ monitor and have not had any issues
with picture quality or responce. The thing to note is that bigger monitors
have higher resolution and therefore require a more powerfull video card to
drive them at full resultion with all the special effects settings turned up
to full.

Old December 3rd 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

wrote:

BillW50 wrote:
Bob Levine wrote on Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:26:16 -0500:
I've got a friend who's in the market for a new monitor. I don't game
but so I'm not all that up on what's what in that area.

Any recommendations in the 22" neighborhood?

Thanks,

Bob
I wasn't aware that gaming required any fancy monitor. Just beefy video
card, CPU, and RAM under some conditions. Am I wrong?

Some LCD monitors have refresh rates too slow to keep up with hyper-fast
games... Ben Myers

Shucks Ben, you took the words right outa my mouth as I'm late to the
thread but let me say you are correct based on what I've read a couple
years ago. I was then in the market for a monitor and came across a
lot of gamer recommendations then. I'm not up on the latest brands
for gamers so I'll let someone else who is a gamer follow this post.

Why do I see kids using XBox and Play Stations still using TV sets? Are
not these games high quality games like the ones for PCs? Or are they
totally different?

I remember when I was young, we used Pong and Atari hooked up to our
televisions. Later, we started to get games on the early PCs. I didn't
keep up with the games, but I still use flight simulators. I never
noticed any monitors making or breaking any games myself.

I remember MS Flight Simulator III being the standard test for IBM-PC
compatibility. And my old Sharp PC-4501 laptop with a monochrome LCD
screen did play it well back in '88. Hooking up a CGA color monitor
didn't change anything, except added color.