Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

Old November 23rd 08, 12:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

Default Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

It's an OptiPlex SX2870 w/ no expansionn slots

Device Manager reports the video as: intel 82865g capable of 1600x1200 32bit
72hertz
I'm currently using 1152x864 32bit

Old November 23rd 08, 11:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Trekman

On Nov 22, 7:32*pm, "Tom" wrote:
"Tom" wrote in ....

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

It's an OptiPlex SX2870 w/ no expansionn slots

Device Manager reports the video as: intel 82865g capable of 1600x1200 32bit
72hertz
I'm currently using 1152x864 32bit

Our office uses Viewsonic monitors exclusively and they are great. One
friend there has eyesight problems and has a 26" (most others have
19") - their website lists the 26" for $661.
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/de...s/vp2650wb.htm
I bought a 19" for myself at home from an eBay store and got a good
deal compared to the VS website.
Old November 23rd 08, 12:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:21 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor
Subject: Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

On Nov 22, 7:32*pm, "Tom" wrote:
"Tom" wrote in

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

It's an OptiPlex SX2870 w/ no expansionn slots

Device Manager reports the video as: intel 82865g capable of

1600x1200 32bit
72hertz
I'm currently using 1152x864 32bit

Our office uses Viewsonic monitors exclusively and they are great. One
friend there has eyesight problems and has a 26" (most others have
19") - their website lists the 26" for $661.
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/de...itors/lcd/pro-
series/vp2650wb.htm
I bought a 19" for myself at home from an eBay store and got a good
deal compared to the VS website.

OK, I missed some posts.

It can't be an SX2870. It's either an SX270 or an SX280 or a GX620 or
even newer.

I don't believe it is an 82865. That would be a machine within the last
year and not an SX of any kind.

The problem is that anything PRIOR to the GX620, including the SX270 and
SX280 will NOT do HD/Widescreen resolutions.

Old November 23rd 08, 12:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
no cross posting please.

nice monitor, $517 is the current price, or $449 from the outlet store.
hp also has a nice 24" that hpshopping.com sells for $469. it has
integrated speakers (spakers for the dell are an add on speaker bar that
clips to the bottom edge of the lcd panel) and it has a clunkier leg, but
the leg provides more flexibility is positioning the display than the
dell leg does. hp also has a 25" for $549.

The HP 24" didn't get quite the positive review the Dell 2408WFP got.

Not sure on the US pricing of this but I recently bought a Samsung 245B 24"
LCD Monitor for AUS$400 and can say that it is great. Has a 3 year zero dead
pixel warranty, height adjustable, and a nice thin black bezel so it looks
good too.

Old November 23rd 08, 02:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

"Robert McMillan" wrote in message
"Tom" wrote in message

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
no cross posting please.

nice monitor, $517 is the current price, or $449 from the outlet store.
hp also has a nice 24" that hpshopping.com sells for $469. it has
integrated speakers (spakers for the dell are an add on speaker bar that
clips to the bottom edge of the lcd panel) and it has a clunkier leg,
but the leg provides more flexibility is positioning the display than
the dell leg does. hp also has a 25" for $549.

The HP 24" didn't get quite the positive review the Dell 2408WFP got.

Not sure on the US pricing of this but I recently bought a Samsung 245B
24" LCD Monitor for AUS$400 and can say that it is great. Has a 3 year
zero dead pixel warranty, height adjustable, and a nice thin black bezel
so it looks good too.

Interesting. any problems with ghosting? other issues? I'm going to use
my new 24" monitor to display a flight simulator and possibly movies.

Old November 23rd 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

"Trekman" wrote in message
Our office uses Viewsonic monitors exclusively and they are great. One
friend there has eyesight problems and has a 26" (most others have
19") - their website lists the 26" for $661.
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/de...s/vp2650wb.htm
I bought a 19" for myself at home from an eBay store and got a good
deal compared to the VS website.

I need/want at 24" monitor.

thanks

Old November 23rd 08, 02:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

Posted At: Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:21 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

On Nov 22, 7:32 pm, "Tom" wrote:
"Tom" wrote in

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

It's an OptiPlex SX2870 w/ no expansionn slots

Device Manager reports the video as: intel 82865g capable of

1600x1200 32bit
72hertz
I'm currently using 1152x864 32bit

Our office uses Viewsonic monitors exclusively and they are great. One
friend there has eyesight problems and has a 26" (most others have
19") - their website lists the 26" for $661.
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/de...itors/lcd/pro-
series/vp2650wb.htm
I bought a 19" for myself at home from an eBay store and got a good
deal compared to the VS website.

It can't be an SX2870. It's either an SX270 or an SX280 or a GX620 or
even newer.

it is an optiplex sx270 (sx2870 was typo) it shows as an intel 82865g

I don't believe it is an 82865. That would be a machine within the last
year and not an SX of any kind.

it is an optiplex sx270 (sx2870 was typo) it shows as an intel 82865g

The problem is that anything PRIOR to the GX620, including the SX270 and
SX280 will NOT do HD/Widescreen resolutions.

Well, that sinks the deal I'll have to get a new PC. I wonder if I can
get a good deal at the deal website for a PC using that monitor.

Thanks all for the input.

Old November 23rd 08, 03:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tom

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in message
Tom added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
Don't rely on ratings. They do not at all represent your
needs nor do they predict what YOU will see. Best to bring a
camera memory card with you with some images or whatever
kinds of data you want to use to the store and "encourage"
them to show you the monitor(s) you're interested in using
YOUR data and NOT canned video the store provides.

And, be sure to ask what resolutions are supported besides
the 16:10 wide-screen natural resolution. Also, look at
Samsung.

very good points!

Tom, about every time monitor resolution comes up for wide-screens,
there is a LOT of controversy swirling around aspect ratio. For me,
Windows cannot un-distort my pictures if I choose a supported
resolution other than for the original image and neither can Paint
Shop Pro, but I'm led to believe that PhotoShop and other apps can.
So, for my 4:3 images, I need to select one that IS that, and for a
wide-screen image, I can go that way, but pretty much I am stuck
with black bars at the left and right. I'd prefer to still be able
to buy a large 4:3 monitor but no longer can since I suppose the
industry changed to support video, DVDs, and the like. Plus, it is
impossible to support all the aspect ratios of digital cameras and
the like.

FWIW, when I buy anything, I rely about 5-10% on reviews, another
5-10% on first-hand testimonials, and the rest on actually looking
at or trying the thing I'm interested in. The problem always seems
to be that not everyone views technology in the same way since
their needs and wants vary so much, which makes perfect sense.

Good luck and have a great weekend!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained
by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

Very good points. Apparently my PC's built in graphics will only support
4x3 resolution so I going to buy a new PC as I need one anyway.

Old November 23rd 08, 03:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
HEMI-Powered

Tom added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Very good points. Apparently my PC's built in graphics will
only support 4x3 resolution so I going to buy a new PC as I
need one anyway.

Tom, so does my ATI Radeon and it is a damn good one. But, are you
sure that it supports NO other resolutions at all? In my case, the
dang thing WILL display really strange ones, like 1280 x 1024
rather than the 4:3 1280 x 960 and 1360 x 1024 which looks like it
is about right but looks rather strange.

Also, wrt aspect ratio, the apps that you use MAY display correctly
even if Windows itself cannot. Or, so I've been told whenever I
complain about my monitor's 1920 x 1200 native resolution which is
16:10. I CAN use it, and do when very occasionally viewing a wide-
screen movie DVD, but ordinary digital camera images look severely
squashed as I would expect.

The VERY best advice I can offer if you must buy now - or just want
to - is to verify the resolutions the monitor itself can support
AND whether it has some sort of set-up option, as my Samsung does,
that allows you to set "Wide" vs. "Normal" which may well solve any
distortion issues.

Good luck and have a great Sunday!

Old November 23rd 08, 07:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

The Dell 2408WFP

I bought one based on all the reviews I read because I wanted to go larger.
My previous monitor was a samsung which I was very happy with.

The main problem out of the box was the brightness and the reviews say that.
At the 'out-of-the-box' brightness level, I would get a headache quickly.
The review sites tell you how to adjust the monitor's rgb values to turn
down the brightness.

The second thing I noticed is when looking at the screen out of the side of
my eyes, I notice some vibration which I did not see with the samsung.

The bottom line is, it took a few weeks to get used to the monitor and at
one point, I wondered if I was a victim of the panel lottery.

--g