DMI memory pool errors. HELP!

Old November 18th 06, 06:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jarod (the puppy)

Default DMI memory pool errors. HELP! Update - new problem.

Barry,

Thanks for the help with the "initial" problem.

Chols, thanks for the "extra settings" in the bios too.

Handy.

Things learnt in the mean time:

I was booting with a CD/DVD in the drive. This was a very probably
cause for the "lockup" which then precipitated the further problems.

So that aside, here's another curley one for you.

I have a very similar MoBo on another machine.

IDE boot disc.

I boot and get a blue screen. Something about validating the HD. 3
phases pass and all is good. Phew.

The machine is FULL of hard drives. Every one at 90%+ full.

Anyway, did what I had to and powered down.

Next day, same thing happened but it starts to get "personal" and it
is now telling me that files are no longer valid! Oh no! This
can't be good.

I power down to not make things worse.

Ultimately I decide to buy a new HD and start from scratch. Oh boy,
the fun of re-installing all that software.

I buy a 320 Gig IDE, strip out ALL HD's from the machine - only for
the sake I don't want to keep them online incase anything else
happens. (I know silly me.)

So, UNPLUGGED! Drives come out. IDE and SATA. New drive goes in.

Pioneer DVD drive remains - for obvious reasons that I need to
install from somewhere. It is Master of IDE port 1.

Boot up, set the BIOS to boot from CD first.

U-uh. No boot disc. !!??!!?? Press enter a few time - see
U-uh. :the DVD drive light flash quikly each time. NOTHING!

Oh, don't tell me: Bung DVD drive!

Stuck in an old W98 HD for the sake of it and booted. This is on IDE
0. It has 3 partitions. C, D and E.

I boot and skip all the "missing drivers" and found new hardware.

Put a CD in the drive and looked for it. Nothing.

Opened explorer and: Nothing. The drive would spin up when closed
but I didn't see anything happen on the tree list of the "My
computer" list.

Took the DVD drive to the computer shop and it is ok. So that means
possible faulty MoBo.

But it can't be. It booted ok from the HD.

I made the DVD drive a SALVE and put it on the same bus as the HD.
Tried booting.

No luck.

Alas now, then I boot up, the machine makes a bit of a funny noise
and shuts down quite soon after.

I've unplugged the HD and it boots ok, but there are no HD's. Only
the DVD. It gets a bit further but shuts down again a few seconds
after all that.

(I'm trying to get into the BIOS and check things there but when I
get into the BIOS and am looking, it just shuts down.)

Something to mention.

One IDE cable is a real "thick" one. UDMA 133? Where as the other
one is the old stock ribbon one.

The thicker one is in port 0 and the ribbon is in port 1.

Port 0 has the HD plugged into it and Port 1 has the DVD drive
plugged into it.

Looking at the back of the drives they all look the same, so I don't
really know what the difference is.

How much have I stuffed up this machine I wonder?

--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

Old November 25th 06, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jarod (the puppy)

Default DMI memory pool errors. HELP! - all ok now.

To all who replied.

Thanks for the help.

I've given up on the probelm as such.

My other problem was a faulty power supply.

I'm guessing it could be the same with the first problem too, just
things got out of hand with windoze, and I'll have to see what I can
salvage.

--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

CD-RW UDF, "Fixed Packets" - the history and the future! Gerry_uk Cdr 30 September 27th 06 01:00 AM
Enhanced Audio CD image Adam Atlas Cdr 3 March 5th 06 03:42 AM
Which atrributes are critical when matching PCxx00 DDR memory? Patrick Coghlan Asus Motherboards 2 February 1st 06 08:26 PM
What CD-RW media is better, Opto or Infodisc? (nt) Saucer Man Cdr 4 January 29th 06 03:19 PM
16mb buffer hard drive in a laptop Dan Irwin Storage (alternative) 49 November 4th 04 04:18 PM