DMI memory pool errors. HELP!

Old November 7th 06, 10:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jarod (the puppy)

Default DMI memory pool errors. HELP!

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-8IPE 1000 Pro2

CPU P4 Prescott 2.4G 800 FSB

Memory: 1.5G

HD 2 x SATA Seagate.

Pioneer DVD reader.

(and a bit more)

But the problem:

On boot up, Verifying DMI pool data and it hangs.

No fancy CMOS stuff.

It is about 2 years old - recent HD added.

Quick history:

I used to get these errors and shortly after the error, the "press
Ctrl Alt Del" and it would boot ok.

Now though, it just hangs.

I tried leaving it to its own devices (no pun intended) and after an
hour or so, all I hear is the HD t'tick t'tick t'tick.

Reading other posts (other places) they say to disable DMA (in the
BIOS) but there is no option to do that.

Also there is no BIOS option to "reset CMOS memory".

The BIOS is FACTORY! I have never set it since I bought the machine.

I've pulled out 2 ram units, but same problem.

I don't have a BOOT floppy - bugga!

Booting to a W98 floppy "works" but I can't read the HD, as they are
NTFS.

Suggestions?

Some things I am going to try:

Swapping the RAM with the ones I have taken out. Hopfuly they are
not BOTH faulty.

CMOS reset - when I lean how to.

Unplugging the newer HD.

Anxiously waiting help and resolution. (No puns there please.)

--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

Old November 7th 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry Watzman

Replace the battery. If you still have the problem, disconnect
EVERYTHING, leaving only motherboard, CPU, memory (MINIMAL memory) &
video card. See if that fixes it. If it does (and perhaps if it
doesn't), I'd upgrade the bios to the latest version, a corrupted BIOS
could cause this although it's not the most likely cause.

Old November 8th 06, 08:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jarod (the puppy)

"BW" == "Barry Watzman" writes:

Thanks.

Shall try.

Dumb question: Where's the battery? Don't worry. I'll dig up the
manual and find it.

Just a quickie, for the sake of trying, I did a "load failsafe
config" and booted.

As my two HD's are SATA it didn't see them, but did boot to the
floppy.

I rebooted and went into the BIOS and activated the "onboard SATA"
and rebooted again.

Now it saw them, but failed the DMI memory pool thingy again.

Me thinks I may of lost the drive.

Oh bugga! Ok, I'll shut up now and get to trying what you suggested.

TTYL - maybe with good news.

BW Replace the battery. If you still have the problem, disconnect
BW EVERYTHING, leaving only motherboard, CPU, memory (MINIMAL
BW memory) & video card. See if that fixes it. If it does (and
BW perhaps if it doesn't), I'd upgrade the bios to the latest
BW version, a corrupted BIOS could cause this although it's not the
BW most likely cause.
--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

Old November 9th 06, 08:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jarod (the puppy)

Barry, update:

Ok, I tried a couple of other things first, but they failed.

Couldn't get to the battery easily, so I had to get the machine out
and finally get it out.

For the sake of curiosity, I checked the voltage. 3.75. Huh? That
seems ok.

So about 20 minutes later, I stick it back in and try.

The mahine booted - kinda.

After a lot of mucking about, I realised the video card has partly
unjacked and so this was causing reboots at the log on screen. That
was quickly plugged back in correctly and the problems changed
slightly.

It got to the log on screen, and I got in/on but things were slow as.

So after it "settled down" I told it to shut down.

It started to and put up an error message, but I missed it. I think
it was a .dll but can't be sure.

I had turned off the monitor and by the time it was back on, all I
had was the "windows shutting down" message.

Anyway, I put in the rest of the RAM, and connected the mouse, kind
of hopeful it would be ok.

Ha!

No, now it hung on the log on screen. Something about the Lsass.exe
and some other stuff.

Ok, looking on the net I think/hope it isn't the virus but the
missing .exe.

It told me to boot in safe mode, go to the "CLI" (CMD) and copy a
file.

Ok, I installed SP2 - or so I thought I did.

Got to the "boot menu" and it had a "boot to safe mode - with command
prompt" so I took that instead of "boot to safe mode" and then have
to get the command prompt up.

Worked, but when windows was loading, I saw "Service pack 1"

Anyway, now..... When I boot, and I select "safe mode - with
command prompt" I get a screen of stuff scroll past me (I think
drivers etc loading) and then the HD goes nuts.

I thought I would let it be, but the sound of it. Not so much bad,
but constant access.

Parranoia hit and I wondered if it was the virus and the HD was being
wiped.

So it was shut down.

I think I am going to have to try another option. Oh, and unplug
the second drive, so if anything does go wrong, at least I can keep
it.

Old November 9th 06, 02:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry Watzman

At this point, this is how I would proceed:

1. Update the bios, using a floppy diskette as both the boot disk and
the source of the new bios code (downloaded on another computer).

2. Test your memory .... use memtest or memtest86, again, booting from
a floppy made on another machine or a CD-ROM.

If that still doesn't resolve the problems, I'd be inclined to try a new
install of Windows on a completely wiped hard drive. After wiping the
hard drive, and before installing Windows, I'd run a drive diagnostic
from the drive mfgrs. CD.

If that doesn't work, you may have a bad motherboard.

Old November 10th 06, 08:44 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jarod (the puppy)

"BW" == "Barry Watzman" writes:

Barry, thanks for the info.

Someone else has this diagnostic CD which shall soon be sent to me.

I don't know what it is called, but it is supposed to be good. I'll
tell you when it arrives.

However, thinking about it, I may pull the first set of sheep out
again and go back to 1 Gig, not 1.5 gig.

Ok, question about boot floppies. (I'm not a windoze person, it is
only be necessity I am using it.)

Even if I make a boot CD, XP won't let me set the "file system". It
is locked at FAT. So how can it read NTFS hard drives?

Ok, doesn't matter. I get a boot floppy, copy the BIOS to it, boot
on the floppy - hang on. Why do I need to boot? Don't I press DEL
on boot up and I re-load it through that BOOTUP menu? (Again, this
is all new territory for me.)

The memtest(86) is that with the MoBo boot disc or do I need to DL
it?

I've got a spare IDE drive (80 Gig) which I could plug in - as both
drives are SATA, and one is currently unplugged for safety. So I put
the blank IDE drive in, and boot from the install CD. How do I force
it to install on the new drive? (Ok, simple way is to firstly unplug
the SATA drive, so it can't do anything else.) But after that, and
XP is installed on that drive, and I plug in the other SATA drive,
how do I force the machine to boot from that other (new) drive
instead of the original one? Then after fixing the problem, how do I
make it boot on that other partition?

BW At this point, this is how I would proceed:
BW
BW 1. Update the bios, using a floppy diskette as both the boot
BW disk and the source of the new bios code (downloaded on another
BW computer).
BW
BW 2. Test your memory .... use memtest or memtest86, again,
BW booting from a floppy made on another machine or a CD-ROM.
BW
BW If that still doesn't resolve the problems, I'd be inclined to
BW try a new install of Windows on a completely wiped hard drive.
BW After wiping the hard drive, and before installing Windows, I'd
BW run a drive diagnostic from the drive mfgrs. CD.
BW
BW If that doesn't work, you may have a bad motherboard.
BW
--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

Old November 10th 06, 01:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Barry Watzman

If your BIOS has the ability to reflash with just a data floppy, then
you don't need to actually boot from a floppy (or, really, anything).
Just put the new bios on a floppy. Not all motherboards & BIOS' can do
this, but some of the newer ones can.

You will have to download Memtest (or Memtest86) on another PC and make
a bootable floppy or CD.

The first point of doing a new install on a new drive is to simply find
out if that cures the problem. We can worry about the boot sequence
later. As you said, if it's the only drive in the system, the system
will have no choice but to boot from it.

Old November 10th 06, 09:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jarod (the puppy)

"BW" == "Barry Watzman" writes:

Is memtest (either version) part of windows XP or a program from the
net?

Yes granted about the new disc, new format etc....

But how do I force the boot from that drive?

I remember once (early days) when mucking about, I moved a boot disc
from one machine to another to do something...... And when I turned
on the machine, it booted from the "new" disc and not the original
one. IE: It booted from the other computer's disc. Kinda
annoying.

BW If your BIOS has the ability to reflash with just a data floppy,
BW then you don't need to actually boot from a floppy (or, really,
BW anything). Just put the new bios on a floppy. Not all
BW motherboards & BIOS' can do this, but some of the newer ones
BW can.
BW
BW You will have to download Memtest (or Memtest86) on another PC
BW and make a bootable floppy or CD.
BW
BW The first point of doing a new install on a new drive is to
BW simply find out if that cures the problem. We can worry about
BW the boot sequence later. As you said, if it's the only drive in
BW the system, the system will have no choice but to boot from it.
--
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

Old November 10th 06, 11:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Chols

Just one idea if you want to see more options at BIOS. Press Control + F1
when you're at the main BIOS screen.

Old November 12th 06, 09:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Jarod (the puppy)

"C" == "Chols" writes:

Thanks.

I'll try that.

I think I tried that, but nothing happened. Dunno. Shall try again
though.

C Just one idea if you want to see more options at BIOS. Press
C Control + F1 when you're at the main BIOS screen.
========
Thanks.....

Jarod

CD-RW UDF, "Fixed Packets" - the history and the future! Gerry_uk Cdr 30 September 27th 06 01:00 AM
Enhanced Audio CD image Adam Atlas Cdr 3 March 5th 06 03:42 AM
Which atrributes are critical when matching PCxx00 DDR memory? Patrick Coghlan Asus Motherboards 2 February 1st 06 08:26 PM
What CD-RW media is better, Opto or Infodisc? (nt) Saucer Man Cdr 4 January 29th 06 03:19 PM
16mb buffer hard drive in a laptop Dan Irwin Storage (alternative) 49 November 4th 04 04:18 PM