nVidia F*cked

Old September 12th 03, 04:04 AM
Larry Roberts

Yes. I'm sure they decided to spend their resources on a game
that they coded to work with only half of it's potential customer
base. Valve's in the market of making money. ATI couldn't pay them
enough to make up for all the customers they'd lose by dilebertly
coding the game not to run good on Nvidia hardware.
I'm sorry, but the FX series was the first line of Nvidia
cards to use DX9 features, and it's quite possible, they didn't get it
right, while ATI did. Of course this is just one game that relies
heavily on DX9 shaders, and we won't really know if the FX series will
be able to hang with these games, or not till there are more. By that
time, we'll problably be looking at the next Nvidia card line on the
market.

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:09:49 -0400, "chainbreaker"
wrote:

The Robot wrote:
When HL2 is out, and 9600Pro owners report good things, and 5600Ultra
users report bad things, then we'll all know.

What? That Valve coded it to work ****ty with anything but ATI cards?

Old September 12th 03, 07:47 AM
Lenny

BTW, does anyone know what are the future DX9 games that'll be available
in 2003/2004 ?

Duke Nukem will be one of them, unless 3DRealms intends to keep us waiting
Forever for it...

Old September 12th 03, 10:09 AM
Nada

"Lee Marsh" wrote:
What to think what to do .. well, I know what I'm doing though. We
received the detonator drivers 51.75 from NVIDIA yesterday and are going
to test them this afternoon. But surprise .. not with Half-Life2, yet
we'll use AquaMark3.

I heard that G-man can be seen waving at the bottom of Aquaworld seas
with John Carmack and Gabe Newell.
Old September 12th 03, 05:20 PM
DaveL

Yeah, but it is obvious that Valve has become ATI's whore.
Dave

"Coyoteboy" wrote in message
Theres always dodgy dealings between companies like game companies and
graphics card manufs - its a fact of life - it happens in all industries

some extent.

JB

Old September 12th 03, 06:13 PM
ho alexandre

DaveL wrote:
Yeah, but it is obvious that Valve has become ATI's whore.

I'm reading carefully every contributor's post in this thread. Including
yours. Can you explain why you say so ?

(I personally bought an FX5600 for reasons that are not affected by this
thread, and I don't care whether nV or ATI does its work best because I
am limited by my slow CPU (1.2GHz) and do not intend to upgrade it).

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

Old September 12th 03, 06:45 PM
DaveL

Because Valve was paid millions of dollars by ATI and now Gabe Newell of
Valve is telling how the Radeon 9600 Pro is the best bang for the buck when
running HL2.

Dave

Old September 12th 03, 10:07 PM
ho alexandre

DaveL wrote:
Because Valve was paid millions of dollars by ATI and now Gabe Newell of
Valve is telling how the Radeon 9600 Pro is the best bang for the buck when
running HL2.

!!! why didn't anyone say that earlier in the thread ????
Anyway, that's a pity. Shame on Valve. Don't the intend to earn more
than millions with HL2, with or without ATI's funds ?

I remember, CS and HL didn't succeed because they were better games, but
because the editors where where the consumers were : at LAN parties, and
in front of high schools (which partly explains why the mean age of CS
player is inferior to the one of UT or Q3 players). So, I guess Valve is
able to do that again.

Old September 13th 03, 01:43 AM
Lenny

Because Valve was paid millions of dollars by ATI

"Millions"? Why would they be paid "millions"?

I expect ATI to pay Valve some money for the copies of HL2 they'll bundle
with their RV360 cards they'll introduce later on, but I doubt that'll
amount to "millions" of $. For starters, high-end cards do not sell in very
large amounts.

and now Gabe Newell of
Valve is telling how the Radeon 9600 Pro is the best bang for the buck

when
running HL2.

Because it IS best bang for the buck. Hello McFly, anybody home?! Check
performance of available DX9 cards. Check prices of same cards.

Anyone but an IDIOT would come up with different results.

Valve is in no way ATI's bitch or anything like that, only an irate,
irrational, illogical Nvidia fanboy would come up with a moronic idea like
that. NV3x DX9 performance sucks. Valve obviously likes things that do not
suck, hence their endorsement of ATI. Get over it already you silly person.

Old September 13th 03, 02:06 AM
TomG

no prob.

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"who be dat?" wrote in message
See my other message. I accidently hit the send button before I was done
with this one so I retyped it in. It has the link and all. Sorry about
that.

Chris Smith

"TomG" wrote in message
and what is that?

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 115,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

"who be dat?" wrote in message
Don't forget about ATi's tradeup program:

"The Robot" wrote in message
.. .
I have:

ASUS A7N2X Deluxe v2.0 nForce2 Mobo
512MB 333MHz Crucial DDR (should have spent the extra and got

400MHz -
f*ck!)
Athlon XP 1800 (Plan to replace with Barton 2500, and overclock to

XP3200)
Crappy 17GB + 10GB drives (Plan to replace with SATA as soon as I

need
the
space)
MSI 128MB Ti4800SE (replaced by MSI when Ti4400 went poof)

When I get the Barton, it looks like I'l get the HL2 DX8 framerates

in
the
THW acticle. At that point I'll consider the 9600Pro or above.

It's quite early to say whether you should sell the 5900 Ultra, but

now
is
the best time, before eBay potentially fills up with them.

The Crucial 9800Pro is almost a giveaway, but I'm sure that the

proceeds
of
your sale would easily give you access to the best 9800Pro cards on

the
market.

In short, sell the *******.

"Lee Marsh" wrote in message
The Robot wrote:
| When HL2 is out, and 9600Pro owners report good things, and

5600Ultra
| users report bad things, then we'll all know.

Just out of curiosity "The Robot" what system do you have, and do

you
think I should sell my 5900 Ultra to get a 9800 Pro

Old September 13th 03, 04:22 AM
Gary Sinnott

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:31:02 +0100, "The Robot" wrote:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/busine...911/index.html

This is what you get for putting on the "we make the best in the
world, so let's carry on the way we are going without checking the
competition" blinkers.

I've got 3 nV cards here capable of playing games of any complexity,
Asus GF3 Ultra, Asus GF256 Ultra & a no-name GF4 MX440. They're all
good - but the more I read of ATI, especially with their VIVO
capabilities, the more I think I may 'dip my toe in the water' and go
their way for my next build.

One reason is, I'm fed up with the way we get drivers to fix other
drivers' failings. Asus have been real rubbish at times with that -
even though I still think their cards are better than most.

Between driver updates & game patches, I feel I'm spending more time
fixing software/hardware issues than actually making use of the damn
PCs.

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com