A8N-SLI, CPU upgrade from Athlon 64 4000+ to X2 4800

Old January 9th 07, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Frederick Pileggi

Default A8N-SLI, CPU upgrade from Athlon 64 4000+ to X2 4800

After giving up hope along with outrages prices for a socket 939 X2 4800
in the last few months I was rewarded today when Newegg had them back in
stock. $258 for the retail version!
I googled back in this group to see if there are any issues with just
replacing the CPU, no XP reinstall or drivers. Looks like I should be OK
with the responses I saw(just about evenly split for no probs or "you need
to do this..")
Anyway what you think? I dont have anything "over the top" so to speak,
and no I don't overclock anything but the video card.

ANTEC 450w Sonata II case.
A8N-SLI with bios 1013. X2's support for this started with 1008.
2 gigs memory.
512Mb X1900 XT video card.
nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65 for Windows XP(WHQL). This from
ASUS download for this mb.
Window XP Pro with SP2 and all the latest updates as of today.
SATA 250Gb hd along with an 80 IDE hd.
RW DVD and RW CD.

Fred

Old February 11th 07, 05:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
[email protected]

stock. $258 for the retail version!http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103544
I googled back in this group to see if there are any issues with just
replacing the CPU, no XP reinstall or drivers. Looks like I should be OK
with the responses I saw(just about evenly split for no probs or "you need
to do this..")
Anyway what you think? I dont have anything "over the top" so to speak,
and no I don't overclock anything but the video card.

ANTEC 450w Sonata II case.A8N-SLIwith bios 1013. X2's support for this started with 1008.
2 gigs memory.
512Mb X1900 XT video card.
nVidia Chipset(CK804) driver version V6.65 for Windows XP(WHQL). This from
ASUS download for this mb.
Window XP Pro with SP2 and all the latest updates as of today.
SATA 250Gb hd along with an 80 IDE hd.
RW DVD and RW CD.

Fred

So how did this go for you? I'm going from a 3000+ to a 4000+ on
this same board next week. $79 for the 4000+. Can't budget the $
for the FX, and I'm a gamer so two cores really isn't my thing....yet.