Deleting Raid-0 array after motherboard dies....

Old February 11th 07, 02:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Smith

Default Deleting Raid-0 array after motherboard dies....

I want to use my 2 Sata seagates in another system, non Intel Raid,
but Nvidia Raid.

Problem is that the drives have been set with Intel Raid and I cannot
use that board to delete the array.

I tried booting to the Nvidia raid to clear the disks, but I'm still
having problems initializing one or the other...Seatools says the
drives are good and they are not that old...

So whats the best way to clear the disks if one loses the motherboard
that one has initialized the raid set with ?

I know this can't be that tuff...I'm just not a Raid expert...

Thanx for any help...
BS
Old February 11th 07, 07:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Robert Hancock

Bill Smith wrote:
I want to use my 2 Sata seagates in another system, non Intel Raid,
but Nvidia Raid.

Problem is that the drives have been set with Intel Raid and I cannot
use that board to delete the array.

I tried booting to the Nvidia raid to clear the disks, but I'm still
having problems initializing one or the other...Seatools says the
drives are good and they are not that old...

So whats the best way to clear the disks if one loses the motherboard
that one has initialized the raid set with ?

I know this can't be that tuff...I'm just not a Raid expert...

Thanx for any help...
BS

The fact it was part of a RAID array shouldn't be interfering with
formatting them.. what kind of problems are you having?

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from
Old February 11th 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ed Medlin

"Bill Smith" wrote in message
I want to use my 2 Sata seagates in another system, non Intel Raid,
but Nvidia Raid.

Problem is that the drives have been set with Intel Raid and I cannot
use that board to delete the array.

I tried booting to the Nvidia raid to clear the disks, but I'm still
having problems initializing one or the other...Seatools says the
drives are good and they are not that old...

So whats the best way to clear the disks if one loses the motherboard
that one has initialized the raid set with ?

I know this can't be that tuff...I'm just not a Raid expert...

Thanx for any help...
BS

There are several ways to do it. The easy way is to boot Partition Magic's
boot disks and do it there. Another is in Control Panel/Computer
Management/Disk Management and format and initialize there.

Ed

Old February 12th 07, 12:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
DaveW

You need to install the two former RAID drives in the new system, boot from
the XP installation CD, and follow the directions thru to the point where
you are allowed to repartition and reformat the two harddrives.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old February 12th 07, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Smith

Ya,thats sounds like it will work. Hopefully it will remove the boot
sector with the raid info...

Old February 12th 07, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Smith

I would rather not use a third party tool and also, Disk management
cannot initialize both drives...only one...I thought that was wierd. i
keep getting prompted with a disk management wizard for Dynamic disks.
All I want is 2 empty, non raid volumes I can format. I am not seeing
this at all.

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:44:31 GMT, "Ed Medlin" wrote:

.. .

Old February 12th 07, 03:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Smith

As soon as I load disk management, i am prompted with the dynamic disk
wizard and xp wants to install something. After I cancel these
prompts, one drive shows up as not initialized and I cannot do
anything with it...Seatools passes both drives...

The board is an "A8N-E" and I already have an IDE Raid-0 array setup
as my boot drive. I am assuming that I can still install Sata disk's
iether in non raid or raid arrays...but there may be some limitations
as to what this chipset (nforce 4 ultra) will allow as far as raid
volumes with non raid volumes...ide with sata etc. The documentation
on this seems very sparse...