five Sun D1000 to sell, twelve 9GB each - SCSI HDD + supplies + fansall redundant and hotswap.

Old December 31st 05, 12:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage

Default five Sun D1000 to sell, twelve 9GB each - SCSI HDD + supplies + fansall redundant and hotswap.

I have sleeping (shut down) in my room five (5)
Sun StorEdge D1000
to sell, send, collect, or ship.

2nd hand devices, they have each twelve (12) SCSI hard drives og 9.2GB each.

D1000 s are to be sold seperatly.

I wanted to sell them around 500 euros each, but that may vary depending on how many
to be taken, where to ship ...

short description:
- 12 hot swap HDD SCSI UW 2 or 3
- 2 HS redundant suplpies, with traditionnal european plug.
- 2 HS redundant fan racks
- 1 double SCSI controller

output is Ultra 2 SCSI HVD.

Intergal board has two controllers. Each controller manages 6 drives, and got 2
plugs. That means the D1000 has in all 4 SCSI plugs.

Each board has internally one ID, and let access each drive independently; a full
D1000 thus require 14 IDs on chain, or can be split over two chains.

The traditionnal use of D1000 is either alone in the middle of a chain, with one
compmuter at each end (redundancy management), or gathered in larger array using
external RAID controller.

Note that a short chain of 7+1 IDs will not allow redundant endings.

I could access the device and format single drives using SYM22802 (symbios logic),
and it is said that very few other card work. Linux had no trouble doing stuff
around, but is not the typical use. I just wanted to make sure chains work properly,
ans HDD are good.

Still, D1000 are designed for JBOD, and should be managed using proper Sun tools. I
am not sure if a D1000 can or not implement JBOD itself.

The advantage of having 3 or 5 D1000s is that an external HW RAID controller can
group 5 JBOD chains into RAID.5, or 6 to 10 into RAID.7.

Still I have only seen RAID.5 and RAID.6 softwares, and only RAID.5 hardware. RAID.7
sounds nice from specs, but never seen it otherwise than specs.

Delivery conditions are to be discussed.

The 22802 is available between 15 and 40 euros on Ebay.

I DO NOT provide cables nor terminators. Only available for demonstration if we are
to meet IRL.

Documentations on
http://www.sun.com/products-n-soluti...000/index.html

They are owfully heavy, large, and space consuming in my own house. I keep them
'off'/'switch down' to avoid damaging the SCSI drives, and keep them in cool place,
tending to keep them away from temp variations. The pile of five is about 1m20 high.
Rackable.

Two doors are broken (one cant stand at all, other one stand in, but wont stay
closed) (but still come with the devices), and all keys missing. This does not seem
to affect air flow.

That is a lot of 56*9.2 GB. Minus RAID leakage

A 6th D1000 could be available if asked kindly.

Please, tell your friends and hierarchi ... they are very rare and advanced devices,
and I would be sorry if they would go mouldy in my house.

--
DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre (aka DoubleHP ) http://www.demaine.info/
\_o If computing were an exact science, IT engineers would not have work o_/