Help!!!

Old October 19th 03, 03:08 PM
Gaz

Default Help!!!

I'm trying to install the nForce chipset drivers for my computer
(version 2.45) in order to get graphics card (GeForceFX5600) to run at
AGP4X instead of the current "PCI mode". When I install these drivers
and reboot, the computer gets a far as showing the desktop, before
crashing. I have to boot into safe mode and use System Restore to
return my system to an operational state. Anyone know what could be
causing this crash? I have:

- Athlon XP 2200
- 512MB
- Asus A7N266-VM motherboard
- GeForce FX5600 running the 45.23 drivers.
- A ****ed off look on my face 'cos games are running s l o w and
3Dmark scores are crap.

Any help greatly appreciated...
Old October 19th 03, 04:10 PM
Blaedmon

as suggested, could be a MB issue. but if it isnt, check your soundcard and
gcard arent sharing the same IRQ. Check your bios and change if you can.

om...

Old October 19th 03, 09:02 PM
i'm_tired

Gaz wrote:
I'm trying to install the nForce chipset drivers for my computer
(version 2.45) in order to get graphics card (GeForceFX5600) to run at
AGP4X instead of the current "PCI mode". When I install these drivers
and reboot, the computer gets a far as showing the desktop, before
crashing. I have to boot into safe mode and use System Restore to
return my system to an operational state. Anyone know what could be
causing this crash? I have:

- Athlon XP 2200
- 512MB
- Asus A7N266-VM motherboard
- GeForce FX5600 running the 45.23 drivers.
- A ****ed off look on my face 'cos games are running s l o w and
3Dmark scores are crap.

Any help greatly appreciated...

You are loading the wrong driver. The driver you are trying to load does
not belong to that motherboard. AGP or PCI mode is determined by a BIOS
setting on that motherboard not your driver (compatability mode would be a
different story).

http://www.asus.com/support/download...A&Type=Drivers

http://tinyurl.com/riin

Get the right driver from the above link. Load it. Reboot. Reboot again
but F2 into your BIOS and set your Video mode to AGP instead of PCI.

Old October 20th 03, 01:13 PM
Gaz

You are loading the wrong driver. The driver you are trying to load does
not belong to that motherboard. AGP or PCI mode is determined by a BIOS
setting on that motherboard not your driver (compatability mode would be a
different story).

http://www.asus.com/support/download...A&Type=Drivers

http://tinyurl.com/riin

Get the right driver from the above link. Load it. Reboot. Reboot again
but F2 into your BIOS and set your Video mode to AGP instead of PCI.

The link you posted contains the driver I mentioned i was tring to
install. I can install it fine if I remove my display drivers, but
once I put the display drivers on it crashes...
Old October 20th 03, 05:49 PM
i'm_tired

Gaz wrote:
You are loading the wrong driver. The driver you are trying to load
does
not belong to that motherboard. AGP or PCI mode is determined by a
BIOS
setting on that motherboard not your driver (compatability mode
would be a different story).

http://www.asus.com/support/download...A&Type=Drivers

http://tinyurl.com/riin

Get the right driver from the above link. Load it. Reboot. Reboot
again
but F2 into your BIOS and set your Video mode to AGP instead of PCI.

The link you posted contains the driver I mentioned i was tring to
install. I can install it fine if I remove my display drivers, but
once I put the display drivers on it crashes...

You said you have a geForce FX 5600. The board you are talking about has
onboard video. Is it properly disabled? Are you skipping installing the
VGA driver in the 2.45 package? Are you installing detonators for the FX
5600 you have?

That is probably the issue. I think you are installing the video portion of
the 2.45 instead of installing detonators for your card. And, again, tap
your delete key (or maybe f2 i don't remember which) to access your BIOS
when you boot the machine up and manually change your video mode from PCI to
AGP/VGA.

Old October 21st 03, 10:16 AM
Gaz

"i'm_tired" wrote in message news:zmUkb.837740$uu5.148324@sccrnsc04...
Gaz wrote:
[...]

I have the detonator drivers installed. In BIOS, I have changed the
setting to AGP/VGA. I think you may be right about skipping installing
the VGA portion of the 2.45, how would I do this? When I run the 2.45
file it installs everything automatically, it doesn't give me the
option of what and what not to install...
Old October 21st 03, 02:34 PM
i'm_tired

Gaz wrote:
[...]

Is there an option to uninstall the video portion of those drivers?
(add/remove programs).

Old October 21st 03, 07:19 PM
Gaz

No there doesn't seem to be anything in Add/Remove. If possible, I
only want the GART/agp drivers, the 2.45 package installs a load of
other crap that I don't need (network connection, audio hardware), do
you know if this is possible?