9600 256MB - Is the extra 128Mb justified?

Old August 24th 03, 08:25 PM
Terence Gui

Default 9600 256MB - Is the extra 128Mb justified?

Instead of getting a 256mb Radeon 9600, why not just get a 128mb 9600 Pro,
or even better, 9500 pro? It would be a better use of your money IMO.

I doubt that the card would be crippled in such a way as it would not be
able to address all 256mb of the card's memory. That would stretch the limit
of even today's marketing standards, if they could pull that off and you are
in effect getting a 128mb card.

Terence

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi,

looking for a good value graphics card and I just noticed that ATI have
released a 256MB version of the 9600 (vanilla). Do you think that the

extra
128MB of video memory can be utilized effectively by this card? or is it a
case that the cards hardware is crippled so as not to be able to take

proper
advantage of the extra memory?

Wayne ][

Old August 24th 03, 11:34 PM
TMack

"God" wrote in message
That didn't stop manufacturers couple of years ago...

I remember owning a 486 motherboard with fake cache chips...

A COUPLE of years ago??? More like 8 or 9 years ago - now ancient history.

Tony

Old August 25th 03, 12:55 AM
KCB

"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message
Hi,

looking for a good value graphics card and I just noticed that ATI have
released a 256MB version of the 9600 (vanilla). Do you think that the

extra
128MB of video memory can be utilized effectively by this card? or is it a
case that the cards hardware is crippled so as not to be able to take

proper
advantage of the extra memory?

Wayne ][

Why would they put it on the card then cripple it?

Old August 25th 03, 02:25 AM
God

"Jay Michaels" wrote in message
om...

"TMack" wrote in message

"God" wrote in message
That didn't stop manufacturers couple of years ago...

I remember owning a 486 motherboard with fake cache chips...

A COUPLE of years ago??? More like 8 or 9 years ago - now ancient

history.

You dare mock God??????

Don't worry... his pool just got struck by lightning, a tornado hit his
house, and Gremlins are eating his car

Old August 25th 03, 09:21 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:22:43 -0400
"God" wrote:

"TMack" wrote in message

"God" wrote in message

"TMack" wrote in message

"God" wrote in message
That didn't stop manufacturers couple of years ago...

I remember owning a 486 motherboard with fake cache chips...

A COUPLE of years ago??? More like 8 or 9 years ago - now
ancient

history.

486's are still used in F16's and F16-a's .

My router is a 486.

My MP3 player in my sound system is a 486 (albeit a really bitchy
fast overclocked sucker running at 150 Mhz (Amd 5x86/133 @ 150)

Of course, not one of them is running Windows.

None of the 486 examples that you give has any relationship to the
fake cache motherboards that were on sale circa 1995 and your claim
that this happened "a couple of years ago".

Tony

1995 != 1975

So 8 years is not that far back.

Could you please be any pickier?

In the computer industry 8 years is an eternity. Regardless of this,
"couple" means "two"--look it up. And "a couple of years back" is
August, 2001. Perhaps you meant "a _few_ years back"?

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old August 25th 03, 10:27 AM
RipFlex

It's overkill. Don't bother.

I bought the 9800 Pro 256 megger with FSAA/AF on. Only on UT2003 in
1280x1024 or greater it BARELY uses the extra 256 megs for a small FPS boost
and utilizing high FSAA/AF settings.

I doubt you use 1280x1024 4xFSAA/8XAF or more on a 9600....

Old August 25th 03, 07:38 PM
God

In the computer industry 8 years is an eternity. Regardless of this,
"couple" means "two"--look it up. And "a couple of years back" is
August, 2001. Perhaps you meant "a _few_ years back"?

Same thing to me. Besides, English is not my native language.

Point was, being Politically Correct never bothers any greedy / shady
company.

I rest my case.

Old August 25th 03, 09:00 PM
Tim

"God" wrote in message
.. .

Could you please be any pickier?

On Usenet? Are you kidding? People can *always* be pickier ;-) Anyway,
thanks for your post, I never knew about that unethical manufacturing
practice. (Can't say I'm surprised about it though)