XP pro installation problems with new PC

Old March 23rd 04, 07:45 PM
OO-

Default XP pro installation problems with new PC

I've just bought an asus pundit barebones system and put in it 120Gb hard
drive, 512Mb RAM, 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 and an 8x DVD-RW (NB this system has no
floppy drive).
All the parts have installed fine and in the BIOS they are all listed nicley
with the HDD as the master and the DVD-RW as the primary slave.
When I went to load it, it froze after detecting the matser and slave and
PCI settings. So I went back into BIOS and disabled the HDD boot, and only
enabled booting from the DVD-RW. now when I start the PC it asks to insert
the a setup disk, i insert windows and windows starts to install. After I
agree install XP and agree with ther terms and conditions I get another
screen that tells me to insert the windows CD (which is already i there) and
press enter, so I press enter, it goes away for a while then comes back
again. No matter what i do this is as far as I can get.

what is the problem here? is it bios, the HDD, the DVD-rw, the windows cd?

any input is much appreciated

Phil

Old March 23rd 04, 08:02 PM
Shepİ

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:45:13 -0000 Letting slip the dogs of war "OO-"
wrote :

[...]

Sounds like some part of the hardware is faulty or not installed
correctly.
1st thing I would do is if you have two sticks of RAM try each
separately in each slot?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old March 23rd 04, 08:08 PM
OO-

wrote :

[...]

i only have the one stick of RAM, should I take everything out and put it in
again?

Old March 23rd 04, 08:31 PM
Shepİ

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:08:22 -0000 Letting slip the dogs of war "OO-"
wrote :

.. .
wrote :

[...]

I would and be super careful and only use the bare minimum devices e.g
1 hard drive.1 CD etc,nothing fancy.Also in the BIOS if you have no
floppy disable the boot floppy seek if that is an option e.g tell the
BIOS that there is no floppy.
If the BIOS has a boot block anti-virus option disable that
as well.Most modern BIOS have taken them out as most O/S have to
modify the boot area of the hard drive.Double check all connections
and jumper settings are correct.I've even had a system fail to boot or
install an O/s because of a faulty mouse cable!!

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old March 23rd 04, 08:34 PM
ElJerid

"OO-" wrote in message ...
[...]

I just purchased a new (sealed) Win XP Home OEM to install on a new system I
assembled for a customer. Win install frooze at the first "Windows setup"
screen. No error message, nothing. I exchanged the CD and tried again with
the new one. Everything went perfectly.
The salesman told me they had actually 1 defective CD return on 5 !!!
Don't know what's happening at Microsoft...

Old March 23rd 04, 08:36 PM
OO-

"Shepİ" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:08:22 -0000 Letting slip the dogs of war "OO-"
wrote :

.. .
wrote :

[...]

already done this.

If the BIOS has a boot block anti-virus option disable that
as well.Most modern BIOS have taken them out as most O/S have to
modify the boot area of the hard drive.

good plan, i'll have a go at this.

Double check all connections
and jumper settings are correct.I've even had a system fail to boot or
install an O/s because of a faulty mouse cable!!

thanks

I'll keep you posted on the results.

Phil

Old March 23rd 04, 08:46 PM
~misfit~

OO- wrote:
[...]

Try with the HDD as primary master and the DVD as secondary master. They
might as well be on seperate channels anyway.
--
~misfit~

Old March 23rd 04, 09:19 PM
kony

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:34:46 GMT, "ElJerid"
wrote:

Don't know what's happening at Microsoft...

After you're richer than god you tend to not give a damn?

Old March 24th 04, 04:28 AM
~misfit~

Trentİ wrote:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:45:13 -0000, "OO-" wrote:

I've just bought an asus pundit barebones system and put in it 120Gb
hard drive, 512Mb RAM, 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 and an 8x DVD-RW (NB this
system has no floppy drive).

What does NB mean?

It's short for some Latin term which means "Be aware".
--
~misfit~

Old March 24th 04, 05:05 AM
VWWall

~misfit~ wrote:

Trentİ wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:45:13 -0000, "OO-" wrote:

I've just bought an asus pundit barebones system and put in it 120Gb
hard drive, 512Mb RAM, 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 and an 8x DVD-RW (NB this
system has no floppy drive).

What does NB mean?

It's short for some Latin term which means "Be aware".

NB = note bene = observe well.

Virg Wall
--

It is vain to do with more
what can be done with fewer.

Modem Problems JH General 5 February 2nd 04 07:46 PM
(CROSSPOST): Stability problems Frodo General 2 December 20th 03 11:59 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 09:41 PM
WinXP Boot problems *sigh* - UPDATE - Help? Phrederik General 0 August 29th 03 04:41 PM
Chaintech 7NIF2 motherboard - memory problems Wuahn General 1 July 26th 03 01:29 PM