XP keep asking for disabled onboard audio drivers

Old March 19th 08, 10:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Louis[_2_]

Default XP keep asking for disabled onboard audio drivers

Hello !

I'm reinstalling XP on an old PC with an ASUS A7V266-E mobo. (Flashed
to latest BIOS (1011)).

Despite setting the "OnBoard Audio" to "Disable", it keeps finding the
C-Media CMI8738 Audio Controller on boot time and asks for it's driver.

While "feeding the beast" with the appropriate driver stops it from
whining, it also enables the onboard audio jacks, which defeats the
purpose.

I want to disable it to prevent interfering with a PCI audio card.

BTW, changing PnP OS value in BIOS doesn't change anything.

Any idea ?

Thanks

Old March 19th 08, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Louis wrote:
Hello !

I'm reinstalling XP on an old PC with an ASUS A7V266-E mobo. (Flashed to
latest BIOS (1011)).

Despite setting the "OnBoard Audio" to "Disable", it keeps finding the
C-Media CMI8738 Audio Controller on boot time and asks for it's driver.

While "feeding the beast" with the appropriate driver stops it from
whining, it also enables the onboard audio jacks, which defeats the
purpose.

I want to disable it to prevent interfering with a PCI audio card.

BTW, changing PnP OS value in BIOS doesn't change anything.

Any idea ?

Thanks

Can you disable the device, in the Device Manager ? That
might be a workaround.

Paul

Old March 20th 08, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:13:53 -0400, Louis
wrote:

Hello !

I'm reinstalling XP on an old PC with an ASUS A7V266-E mobo. (Flashed
to latest BIOS (1011)).

Despite setting the "OnBoard Audio" to "Disable", it keeps finding the
C-Media CMI8738 Audio Controller on boot time and asks for it's driver.

While "feeding the beast" with the appropriate driver stops it from
whining, it also enables the onboard audio jacks, which defeats the
purpose.

I want to disable it to prevent interfering with a PCI audio card.

BTW, changing PnP OS value in BIOS doesn't change anything.

Any idea ?

Thanks

As Paul suggested you should disable it in Device Manager.
However, it should not interfere with a PCI audio card even
if it isn't disabled. It is quite possible to continually
use multiple sound cards in the same system, if your
particular application doesn't allow picking which one to
use then set that one as the primary or preferred sound
device in control panel, sounds & multimedia.

Old March 20th 08, 08:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Louis[_2_]

kony a exposé le 2008-03-19 :
wrote:

[...]

Thank you both for your replies..

I had to disable the onboard audio in the device manager *and*
uninstall all programs/drivers related using add/remove programs,
otherwise there is an unresponsive "Mixer" button sitting on the task
bar upon reboot.

As for leaving both audio cards, it is not my preferred solution since
the C-Media driver (at least the one availiable on Asus's site)
installs its own and sticky "Mixer" on the tray - even if I install
only the drivers using device manager - which could be confusing for
the PC's owner.

Just for my own knowledge : does it happens often that a "disabled"
onboard feature actually stays enabled ? It's the first time I see
this..

Old March 20th 08, 10:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

kony a exposé le 2008-03-19 :
wrote:

[...]

In Win2K, I had some trouble with the OS mediated selection of sound devices.
I tried a PCI sound card and AC'97 at the same time. I'd select my "preferred"
device in Windows, click apply or whatever, and the OS refused to remember my
selection. So like yourself, I had to ensure one was disabled, to get
satisfactory operation. Maybe WinXP works better for that, but I don't have
WinXP here.

As for the failure to disable, yes, it has happened before. And I cannot
explain why it happens either.

Paul
Old March 20th 08, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jon Danniken

"Louis" wrote:
I had to disable the onboard audio in the device manager *and* uninstall
all programs/drivers related using add/remove programs, otherwise there is
an unresponsive "Mixer" button sitting on the task bar upon reboot.

You can keep the mixer from loading through (Start Run type
"Msconfig") - enter the "startup" tab and look for the mixer entry.

Also, look in the BIOS (integrated peripherals IIRC) to see if you can
disable the onboard audio there.

Jon

Old March 20th 08, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 06:03:51 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Thank you both for your replies..

I had to disable the onboard audio in the device manager *and* uninstall
all programs/drivers related using add/remove programs, otherwise there
is an unresponsive "Mixer" button sitting on the task bar upon reboot.

As for leaving both audio cards, it is not my preferred solution since
the C-Media driver (at least the one availiable on Asus's site) installs
its own and sticky "Mixer" on the tray - even if I install only the
drivers using device manager - which could be confusing for the PC's owner.

You could find the OS setting or shortcut that causes the
Taskbar tray app to load and disable it loading to get rid
of the icon, but as you mentioned it's for another owner and
if they don't need both audio solutions you might as well
disable the onboard and uninstall the driver.

Just for my own knowledge : does it happens often that a "disabled"
onboard feature actually stays enabled ? It's the first time I see this..

What happens is the "driver" is actually a driver PLUS a
software frontend to control the sound settings. By
disabling it, the driver probably isn't loading anymore but
the software portion is still installed until you choose to
uninstall it.

In Win2K, I had some trouble with the OS mediated selection of sound devices.
I tried a PCI sound card and AC'97 at the same time. I'd select my "preferred"
device in Windows, click apply or whatever, and the OS refused to remember my
selection. So like yourself, I had to ensure one was disabled, to get
satisfactory operation. Maybe WinXP works better for that, but I don't have
WinXP here.

Can't say, I use Win2k a lot and have had multiple systems
with two sound cards installed. I would suspect either an
old OS installation with some files wrong and it needs
reinstalled, or the sound driver itself had some bug.

I would wonder if disabling in bios wasn't actually a
disabling setting just not devoting resources but then when
2k/XP/etc loads it has that ability... so a bios bug in what
is really technically disabling.

onboard VGA port disabled NewToFPGA General 19 January 28th 08 08:47 PM
Static w/ onboard audio Squigmont Homebuilt PC's 9 December 22nd 05 04:42 AM
latest catalyst drivers (4.7,4.8,4.9...) disabled DirectX on my 8500DV??? J?j? Ati Videocards 0 September 11th 04 12:55 AM
Onboard Audio Aaron Homebuilt PC's 8 November 23rd 03 09:22 PM
A7V133 onboard audio Clicks Pops & Hisses when playing audio CD MeNotHome Asus Motherboards 2 June 30th 03 07:20 AM