XP Pro - Random Freezes / Crashes - only stable when running a game!?!?!

Old June 28th 07, 12:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
TMX

Default XP Pro - Random Freezes / Crashes - only stable when running a game!?!?!

Hi i have been having this porblem for some time now and its been
driving me crazy. My machine wos working fine for ages, then suddenly
my system froze whilst on the desktop. Rebooted and it was fine for a
while, and then it froze again randomly. Its gradually got worse to
the point where it crashes nearly every time i first turn ont he
computer, and it gets to the kernal load phase and it freezes. The
second time i go in i can usually get to the windows desktop, but if
leave her idle for any amount of time she will freeze on me, nothing
responds, i just have to reboot.

Heres the weird part, aslong as i'm playing a game it doesnt freeze,
ever, so its got to the point where i have to load into windows,
quickly run up a game to run the the background whilst i do other
things which is ridiculous!!!

As soon as i close the game, give it 5-10 mins the machine will
freeze
again, i have tried all sorts of things, reformatted my machine
multiple times which has phased out the possiblity that its a windows
issue.

Ive updated all my drivers, my hardware hasnt changed since before
this started happening, but i have tried the graphics card in another
machine and its fine. Same with the PSU. I am currently running a RAM
testing tool to check for errors which ahs been running for the past
night and day.

Has anyone has this problem, or can shed some light on this as you
can
imagine, its slightly annoying!!

Thankyou

TMX

Old June 28th 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 04:51:19 -0700, TMX
wrote:

Hi i have been having this porblem for some time now and its been
driving me crazy. My machine wos working fine for ages, then suddenly
my system froze whilst on the desktop. Rebooted and it was fine for a
while, and then it froze again randomly. Its gradually got worse to
the point where it crashes nearly every time i first turn ont he
computer, and it gets to the kernal load phase and it freezes. The
second time i go in i can usually get to the windows desktop, but if
leave her idle for any amount of time she will freeze on me, nothing
responds, i just have to reboot.

It'd be good to start out with a concise description of all
major parts in the system including makes and models.

Run memtest86+ for a few hours to check for memory errors.
Inspect the motherboard to see if there is anything loose,
any vented capacitors, or any fan failures.

Check the PSU voltages with a multimeter if you have one.

Heres the weird part, aslong as i'm playing a game it doesnt freeze,
ever, so its got to the point where i have to load into windows,
quickly run up a game to run the the background whilst i do other
things which is ridiculous!!!

Yes that's wierd, it almost sounds like you have a poor
generic PSU that is letting one of the rails drop too low
until the gaming puts enough load on the other rail to raise
the weaker rail's voltage.

As soon as i close the game, give it 5-10 mins the machine will
freeze
again, i have tried all sorts of things, reformatted my machine
multiple times which has phased out the possiblity that its a windows
issue.

When it freezes can you CTLALTDEL to reset, or do you
need to press the case power button, or do you need to
switch it off at the PSU or unplug it?

Ive updated all my drivers, my hardware hasnt changed since before
this started happening, but i have tried the graphics card in another
machine and its fine. Same with the PSU.

That a PSU can run a different system, is not necessarily
evidence it is still acceptible for this system, especially
if it's gradually degrading. You might unplug the PSU from
AC for a few minutes then open it up and inspect it... most
likely a vented capacitor but if it's dusty inside this is a
good opportunity to clean it out (need not be perfectly
clean).

I am currently running a RAM
testing tool to check for errors which ahs been running for the past
night and day.

Has anyone has this problem, or can shed some light on this as you
can
imagine, its slightly annoying!!

More than slightly, depending on the age of the system it
might be time to upgrade everything if all else fails.

Old June 28th 07, 09:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
TMX

Hi thanks for your help, heres my findings

It'd be good to start out with a concise description of all
major parts in the system including makes and models.

Ok heres my spec:

CPU: P4 3.4 HT
Motherboard: ASUS IC7 MAX3
HD 1: Raptor 76GB
HD 2: Maxtor 40GB
Geforce 7600GS
1.5GB Kingston DDR2 400mhz RAM
Creative 5.1 Soundblaster Soundcard

Run memtest86+ for a few hours to check for memory errors.
Inspect the motherboard to see if there is anything loose,
any vented capacitors, or any fan failures.

I ran Memtest86+ overnight and returned no errors.

Check the PSU voltages with a multimeter if you have one.

I dont have a multimeter unfortunately The power supply was a 500W
when i bought her, but i know they loose power over time? She must be
atleast 2 years old now?

Heres the weird part, aslong as i'm playing a game it doesnt freeze,
ever, so its got to the point where i have to load into windows,
quickly run up a game to run the the background whilst i do other
things which is ridiculous!!!

Yes that's wierd, it almost sounds like you have a poor
generic PSU that is letting one of the rails drop too low
until the gaming puts enough load on the other rail to raise
the weaker rail's voltage.

As soon as i close the game, give it 5-10 mins the machine will
freeze
again, i have tried all sorts of things, reformatted my machine
multiple times which has phased out the possiblity that its a windows
issue.

When it freezes can you CTLALTDEL to reset, or do you
need to press the case power button, or do you need to
switch it off at the PSU or unplug it?

When it crashes i have to press the power button and turn it back on
again. CTRL ALT DEL doesnt respond. Havent had to unplug it.

[...]

Thanks again for your help, you dont realise how annoying this has
been!

Old June 28th 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

TMX wrote:
Thanks again for your help, you dont realise how annoying this has
been!

Listen to what kony suggests (unless he tries to sell you frequent flier
miles,) but allow me to make one quick interjection:

Reduce your system to a minimum configuration. Drop any devices or
cards that you don't absolutely need to get the system to stand up.
Since your lock-ups come so quickly, you should be able to easily see if
those devices are necessary for the effect.

I was having difficulty with a Win 2000 system locking up on startup,
and it turned out to be a USB scanner. That sounds like much less of a
problem than you're experiencing, but maybe it'll be something as
peripheral.

Old June 29th 07, 01:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 13:47:43 -0700, TMX
wrote:

Hi thanks for your help, heres my findings

It'd be good to start out with a concise description of all
major parts in the system including makes and models.

Ok heres my spec:

CPU: P4 3.4 HT
Motherboard: ASUS IC7 MAX3
HD 1: Raptor 76GB
HD 2: Maxtor 40GB
Geforce 7600GS
1.5GB Kingston DDR2 400mhz RAM
Creative 5.1 Soundblaster Soundcard

Thanks but I also meant the PSU.

I dont have a multimeter unfortunately The power supply was a 500W
when i bought her, but i know they loose power over time? She must be
atleast 2 years old now?

A decent 500W will last significantly longer than 2 years.
Not all are decent and some can't even output 500W when new
regardless of what the label claims.

When it freezes can you CTLALTDEL to reset, or do you
need to press the case power button, or do you need to
switch it off at the PSU or unplug it?

When it crashes i have to press the power button and turn it back on
again. CTRL ALT DEL doesnt respond. Havent had to unplug it.

You might check Windows' Event Viewer.
You left it running the memory test for a fair amount of
time and no freezing, so it seems more likely an OS (or
related, like drivers) problem, but the power consumption
sitting idle at the desktop is lower on 12V rail than during
gaming or the memory test so the PSU power quality is still
a possible cause.

More than slightly, depending on the age of the system it
might be time to upgrade everything if all else fails.

Thanks again for your help, you dont realise how annoying this has
been!

I wouldn't upgrade above system just yet unless you find it
too slow for your uses, it's still faster than the average
joe has.
Old June 29th 07, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

TMX wrote:
Hi i have been having this porblem for some time now and its been
driving me crazy. My machine wos working fine for ages, then suddenly
my system froze whilst on the desktop. Rebooted and it was fine for a
while, and then it froze again randomly. Its gradually got worse to
the point where it crashes nearly every time i first turn ont he
computer, and it gets to the kernal load phase and it freezes. The
second time i go in i can usually get to the windows desktop, but if
i leave her idle for any amount of time she will freeze on me, nothing
[...]

I wonder if this is related to a Power Management setting ? If the
computer is idle for ten minutes, perhaps some hardware is being
put into a lower power state. And that is when the problem happens.
Maybe you could try adjusting the Power Management features for
all the hardware, such that the machine stays in a high power
state, with all hardware ready to go. In other words, no
"sleeping on the job".

That would be a workaround, rather than solving the problem.

In my OS, there is a Control Panel called Power Options. I think
"Always On" is the high power policy. The various policies
get mentioned here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318682/en-us

Peripherals also can have power policies. USB and NICs sometimes
have settings. My USB2 root hub, in Device Manager, has the option
"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" as an
option. Maybe the freeze is happening, when one of those events
takes place. The box is not checked on my USB2 Root Hub, which
means it cannot sleep.

Just a guess,
Paul

Help-- random program crashes, computer crashes [email protected] General 7 December 9th 06 12:51 AM
Help - random crashes in XP but not 98 Aaron Fillion Homebuilt PC's 2 July 25th 03 03:47 PM
Random Crashes Jeff OTF Asus Motherboards 1 July 19th 03 03:56 AM
help random crashes ben reed General 0 July 18th 03 11:18 AM
help random crashes ben reed General 3 July 17th 03 12:13 PM