XP Pro install problem - disk error?

Old June 22nd 07, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
BillL

Default XP Pro install problem - disk error?

Hi all

I don't know all the details but I've just had a phone call from a guy I
know who has just tried to build his first PC. It POST's fine but on trying
to install XP Pro he gets a '0X60000007B' error message and the install
bluescreens. I've had similar problems before and its usually been the RAM
but he's done a search and apparently it could be his Samsung S300 HDD
that's the cause of the problem.

He's done the 'obvious' things like making all the components are seated
correctly etc. and although its his first build the guys pretty tech savvy
and has done his research.

I know its all a bit vague but anyone got any ideas?

TIA

BillL

Old June 22nd 07, 09:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Gerard Bok

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:51:51 GMT, "BillL"
wrote:

I don't know all the details but I've just had a phone call from a guy I
know who has just tried to build his first PC. It POST's fine but on trying
to install XP Pro he gets a '0X60000007B' error message and the install
bluescreens. I've had similar problems before and its usually been the RAM
but he's done a search and apparently it could be his Samsung S300 HDD
that's the cause of the problem.

He's done the 'obvious' things like making all the components are seated
correctly etc. and although its his first build the guys pretty tech savvy
and has done his research.

I know its all a bit vague but anyone got any ideas?

You could advice him to download memtest86.
http://memtest86.com/

That will tell him if his system is basically operational and how
his ram behaves.

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok
Old June 22nd 07, 09:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

"BillL" wrote in message
k...
Hi all

I don't know all the details but I've just had a phone call from a guy I
know who has just tried to build his first PC. It POST's fine but on
trying to install XP Pro he gets a '0X60000007B' error message and the
install bluescreens. I've had similar problems before and its usually
been the RAM but he's done a search and apparently it could be his Samsung
S300 HDD that's the cause of the problem.

He's done the 'obvious' things like making all the components are seated
correctly etc. and although its his first build the guys pretty tech savvy
and has done his research.

I know its all a bit vague but anyone got any ideas?

TIA

BillL

On both accounts your theory could be right. And I would start with those
thoughts as well if it were my attempt at installation.
To rule out the hard drive have your friend download the disk diagnositics
utility file from Samsung to make a floppy startup disk to check the hdd.
To check the RAM try Memtest, which will also be run from a floppy
startup disk.
When the friend says he has no floppy drive then tell him to either start
substituting hdds and RAM or borrow a floppy. At this point it might even be
possible to make a CD boot disk if Samsung has an ISO file of the disk
utility as well as Memtest.

--
Jan Alter

or

Old June 22nd 07, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

BillL wrote:
Hi all

I don't know all the details but I've just had a phone call from a guy I
know who has just tried to build his first PC. It POST's fine but on trying
to install XP Pro he gets a '0X60000007B' error message and the install
bluescreens. I've had similar problems before and its usually been the RAM
but he's done a search and apparently it could be his Samsung S300 HDD
that's the cause of the problem.

He's done the 'obvious' things like making all the components are seated
correctly etc. and although its his first build the guys pretty tech savvy
and has done his research.

I know its all a bit vague but anyone got any ideas?

That error could can't really be as described. At the very least it
must be:

0x6000007B (one less zero in there)

But may well be:

0x0000007B

There are lots of hits on that error code at microsoft.com, and the web
in general.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103

Old June 23rd 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike Walsh

Memtest is on many Linux installation CDs. Or you can make your own memtest floppy or CD. Get the image from http://www.memtest86.com/

Jan Alter wrote:

To check the RAM try Memtest, which will also be run from a floppy
startup disk.
When the friend says he has no floppy drive then tell him to either start
substituting hdds and RAM or borrow a floppy. At this point it might even be
possible to make a CD boot disk if Samsung has an ISO file of the disk
utility as well as Memtest.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old June 24th 07, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Plato

BillL wrote:

I don't know all the details but I've just had a phone call from a guy I
know who has just tried to build his first PC. It POST's fine but on trying

Many people build their first PC on the rug in their living room or
bedroom as they dont have a desk with cardboard on it to properly build
a pc. Often that results in pharked components.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Old June 24th 07, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

Plato wrote:
BillL wrote:

I don't know all the details but I've just had a phone call from
a guy I know who has just tried to build his first PC. It POST's
fine but on trying

Many people build their first PC on the rug in their living room
or bedroom as they dont have a desk with cardboard on it to
properly build a pc. Often that results in pharked components.

Please give a rigorous definition of 'pharked'. :-)

--
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423

Old June 26th 07, 06:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

of course another obvious thing is that the cd he tried to use was
scratched and is erroring out as it cant load the startup files to
install it....i would try to use a different one if i were
you...espcecially if it were a "burned" copy.....but thats a whole
different ball of wax right there