Dell 2405FPW refurbished or not?

Old July 21st 05, 10:52 PM
gimp

Default Dell 2405FPW refurbished or not?

I'm from New Zealand and the 2405FPW 24" LCD has just become available
here. however on the Dell website it lists the response time as 16ms
(both here and in Australia). in the US its 12ms. ?

i thought it was maybe different advertising practices, ie, Dell NZ
putting 16ms for the typical black-to-white RT, and in the US 12ms for
grey-to-grey... but to check i rang Dell... and they said that Dell US
had faster 12ms panels...??? is this true?

it must be noted i had the distinct impression that the call center
staff in India or wherever were like reading from a script half the time
or making **** up, and were basically clueless.

can anyone confirm is there really a second "crappy" version of the
2405FPW...?
Old July 22nd 05, 12:58 AM
User N

"gimp" wrote in message ...
I'm from New Zealand and the 2405FPW 24" LCD has just become available
here. however on the Dell website it lists the response time as 16ms
(both here and in Australia). in the US its 12ms. ?

i thought it was maybe different advertising practices, ie, Dell NZ
putting 16ms for the typical black-to-white RT, and in the US 12ms for
grey-to-grey... but to check i rang Dell... and they said that Dell US
had faster 12ms panels...??? is this true?

According to the Specifioications grin...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ecifioications

Response Time:
12ms typical (Grey to Grey) / 16ms typical (Black to White)

Old July 22nd 05, 02:23 AM
gimp

User N wrote:
According to the Specifioications grin...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ecifioications

Response Time:
12ms typical (Grey to Grey) / 16ms typical (Black to White)

thanks - i have e-mailed Dell 'cause that still doesn't prove they
aren't using Oz/NZ as an outlet for older stock - i wouldn't be
surprised - not holding my breath for a reply though.

Old July 22nd 05, 08:40 PM
User N

"gimp" wrote in message ...
User N wrote:
According to the Specifioications grin...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ecifioications

Response Time:
12ms typical (Grey to Grey) / 16ms typical (Black to White)

thanks - i have e-mailed Dell 'cause that still doesn't prove they
aren't using Oz/NZ as an outlet for older stock - i wouldn't be
surprised - not holding my breath for a reply though.

FWIW, the response time specs listed in the user's guide on the
Asia/Pacific website are the same. You can look that up if you are
interested, I went and cleared my history. In any case, when shelling
out the bucks for something as critical as a monitor it is good to read
as many independent reviews as possible. I've come across a number
of articles about the 2405FPW at the hardware review sites, as well as
numerous discussions between gamers, graphics artists, and others with
a keen interest in its capabilities and limitations. A bit of cluefull googling
should reveal what panel it uses (there can't be many options, and I think
I read it is a Samsung PVA). You can probably find some independently
measured response time curves and spatial/color uniformity observations
and what not. IOW, the kind of detail you aren't likely to get from the
front line Dell reps or Dell specs for that matter. The 12ms vs 16ms
contradictions you mentioned could simply be due to inadequate sales
docs and less than knowledgeable Dell reps, neither of which would be
a first. Assuming I didn't come across some reliable evidence of
different variants, I'd have to assume that the same product is used
everywhere.