XP Media Centre compatible TV cards?

Old December 31st 04, 05:17 PM
Noozer

Default XP Media Centre compatible TV cards?

Anyone know of a list of TV Tuner cards that are compatible with Windows XP
Media Centre 2005?

Old December 31st 04, 06:37 PM

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:17:04 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

Anyone know of a list of TV Tuner cards that are compatible with Windows XP
Media Centre 2005?

I think the raved about Hauppauge 150 is. Dont quote me on this but I
recall seeing posts on people using it the 250 with MCE and I think
they mentioned 2005 though Im not swearing by it. It might have been
an older version.

The 150 is supposedly exactly like the 250 which is raved about but
they use a cheaper costing chipset they now make or buy which has the
same functionality according to tons of posts including some people
whove owned both. They even have a MCE version of the 150 - its called
that in the package but once again I cant be 100% what version of MCE.

Im probably going to buy it soon - the 150.

Old January 1st 05, 06:45 AM
Noozer

"Noozer" wrote in message
Anyone know of a list of TV Tuner cards that are compatible with Windows

XP
Media Centre 2005?

Why is MCE so picky about video card anyhow? What is the "magic feature"
that all the TV cards more than a year or so old are missing???

Old January 1st 05, 12:51 PM
HankG

"Noozer" wrote in message

"Noozer" wrote in message
Anyone know of a list of TV Tuner cards that are compatible with Windows

XP
Media Centre 2005?

Why is MCE so picky about video card anyhow? What is the "magic feature"
that all the TV cards more than a year or so old are missing???

I purchased a Media Center PC in mid-2003. I loved it. Fast as hell (it
was a 2.8 Ghz with 170GB {7200 RPM}), and had no problem working with my
cable system and its Win-XP. Unfortunately, within a short time, it
exhibited an extreme overheating problem. HP instructed me to return the PC
to the dealer at once.

The model had been closed out; there were no replacements. I had to settle
for another model with 3.07 Ghz and 250 GB (5400 RPM) drive w/o the media
capability of the MCE. Slower in comparison to the original. I had been
considering changing my video card to give me TV capability. I have
resisted this because of the coming of DRM (Digital Rights Management). For
the benefit of any reader not aware, reportedly a combination of hardware
and software refinements which will STRICTLY control the
downloading/recording/viewing, etc. of various media.

I also believe that after a certain point this year, all computers, TV's,
hard drives, DVD/CD drives manufactured will be DRM capable. Yours could be
'capable' now.

By the same token, current video/tv cards may become obsolete when all TV
transmission is digital. If your current TV service is digital, it could
present problems.

HankG

Old January 1st 05, 06:04 PM
Noozer

"Noozer" wrote in message
Anyone know of a list of TV Tuner cards that are compatible with Windows

XP
Media Centre 2005?

Why is MCE so picky about video card anyhow? What is the "magic feature"
that all the TV cards more than a year or so old are missing???

FYI... I've been told that the "magic feature" needed by MCE compatible
cards is the ability to encode MPEG2 in hardware.

Also, I just learned that most "MCE" tuners won't work in ***ANY*** other
version of Windows - not even Win XP SP2. Definately arm twisting by
Microsoft.

Old January 1st 05, 10:23 PM
kony

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:51:49 -0500, "HankG"
wrote:

I purchased a Media Center PC in mid-2003. I loved it. Fast as hell (it
was a 2.8 Ghz with 170GB {7200 RPM}), and had no problem working with my
cable system and its Win-XP. Unfortunately, within a short time, it
exhibited an extreme overheating problem. HP instructed me to return the PC
to the dealer at once.

The model had been closed out; there were no replacements. I had to settle
for another model with 3.07 Ghz and 250 GB (5400 RPM) drive w/o the media
capability of the MCE. Slower in comparison to the original. I had been
considering changing my video card to give me TV capability. I have
resisted this because of the coming of DRM (Digital Rights Management). For
the benefit of any reader not aware, reportedly a combination of hardware
and software refinements which will STRICTLY control the
downloading/recording/viewing, etc. of various media.

Resisted because of of the coming of DRM? Wouldnt' that
mean you'd be in more of a hurry than ever to buy one not
cripplied by DRM?

I also believe that after a certain point this year, all computers, TV's,
hard drives, DVD/CD drives manufactured will be DRM capable. Yours could be
'capable' now.

What is the point?
Media Center was only significant in it's ease of use.
Overall video quality and media control were/are severe
detractors from it's overall usefulness.

By the same token, current video/tv cards may become obsolete when all TV
transmission is digital. If your current TV service is digital, it could
present problems.

Many digital cable services still transmit the analog, due
to not all customers wanting digital yet, and to continue
using same cable. In such a situation one can still use
analog tv card if they wanted to.
Old January 1st 05, 10:49 PM

"Noozer" wrote in message
Anyone know of a list of TV Tuner cards that are compatible with Windows

XP
Media Centre 2005?

Why is MCE so picky about video card anyhow? What is the "magic feature"
that all the TV cards more than a year or so old are missing???

FYI... I've been told that the "magic feature" needed by MCE compatible
cards is the ability to encode MPEG2 in hardware.

The 150 does that and its around 80-99 avg price with some sales down
to 59.

Also, I just learned that most "MCE" tuners won't work in ***ANY*** other
version of Windows - not even Win XP SP2. Definately arm twisting by
Microsoft.

Not sure on that one but the but the 150 is sold in a MCE version as I
mentioned. If thats true then it severely limits the appeal of that
version of the card. They sell another version of the 150 too though.

Im thinking about the HDTV cards though. So its possible I could just
go for that instead. Its totally confusing. Some say you can at
specialty sites that you can now get cards that can record off the
cable signal if you have firewire out on your cable box which they say
is required by some legislation in the US --- you can ask for one and
they have to give you one or something. However, theres also the new
reg that comes into play around June which says there will be flags on
copyrighted content and that all equipment will have stuff inthem to
detect these flags and prevent copying.

Anyway , even if you have such a card they say the signal has to be
unencrypted, which the general channels are except for the pay type
sports HDTV I suppose and movie channels.

Now here is where it gets murky and I guess Ill ask again. With
non-HDTV you can get any channel even encrypted ones provided
obviously that you are hooked up to the digital box and you pay for
the channel since then your cable box unscrambles it.

Now does the firewire connection do that too? As long as you pay for
the channel you can record with firewire ? Or does it only get the
general HDTV channels that are unscrambled ? And if so why have flags
if they are already scrambled except of course to prevent even
non-hdtv copying etc.

So some are hyping their cards --- get it now while you can. However
in the past has that ever prevented workarounds from appearing?

When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
2-way wireless media centre Mark Dibley General 1 June 26th 04 12:26 AM
Is there any DVD9 burnners and DVD9 blank media yet? John McGaw General 3 June 25th 04 04:48 PM
prices of ATA RAID cards Timothy Daniels General 12 March 12th 04 10:43 PM
Laptop DVD Rom - DVD Media Compatibility +/- ? Rob Jones General 0 November 30th 03 10:13 AM