Viet cong performance issues, help required please. FX5900 Ultra 256MB

Old May 31st 04, 05:07 PM
mimayin

Default Viet cong performance issues, help required please. FX5900 Ultra 256MB

Viet cong is (as far as im told) an ati oriented game meaning that its
performance is much better on ati cards. I own an MSI geforce fx5900 ultra
256mb, and even this doesn't push the game like it should. In heavy fight
scenes i sometimes get less than 30fps, which for such an old game is very
poor. I have just downloaded the StarStorm nvidia drivers from
http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdispla... 1&forumid=47
and found little improvement, even with all the eye-candy settings turned
off. But i have noticed some interesting extra settings in the Direct3D
page with the StarStorm drivers under the following heading:

Performance analysis
==============
[ ] NULL fixed function - forces the Nvidia GPU to use a NULL pixel shader
for fixed-function pixels. This results in the frame rate increasing for
applications that are pixel-processing bound.
[ ] NULL PS 1.x - forces the Nvidia GPU to use a NULL shader for PS 1.x
shaders. This results in the frame rate increasing for applications that
are PS 1.x shader-bound.
[ ] NULL PS 2.x - forces the Nvidia GPU to use a NULL shader for PS 1.x
shaders. This results in the frame rate increasing for applications that
are PS 2.x shader-bound.

If anyone can explain to me exactly what this means, and maybe tell me if
Viet Cong is in any of these catagories that would be much appreciated. I
tried to look for viet cong support, but found the link on their home page
to be dead.

Thanks,

Mark

Old June 11th 04, 06:39 AM
wired and confused

In order for u to get an increase sounds like its playing in dx 8.1 spec
PS1.X is dx 8.1 1.4 ps .

http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdispla...d921db2ef77 1

Old June 11th 04, 06:45 AM
wired and confused

I just went through the reviews for a month and learn all I need to know
about the differences between ati and nvidia . I now have what I need to
pick the right card . Nvidia is using ps 1.4 It going to need alot fixes
in drivers if they ever get it to work theres alot bugs in the hardware and
the drivers . I been using a Nvidia ti 4600 now I am jumping to 9800 pro
because of the card can do everything better than nvidia has for the 5900
I had the opportunity to buy that card for 150 and the 155 for the
ati and came at a great time I went ati because there running better
floating points and there using better algithrithoms.

Old August 27th 04, 01:06 AM
Falkentyne

On Mon, 31 May 2004 17:07:42 +0100, "mimayin"
wrote:

Viet cong is (as far as im told) an ati oriented game meaning that its
performance is much better on ati cards. I own an MSI geforce fx5900 ultra
256mb, and even this doesn't push the game like it should. In heavy fight
scenes i sometimes get less than 30fps, which for such an old game is very
poor. I have just downloaded the StarStorm nvidia drivers from
http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdispla... 1&forumid=47
and found little improvement, even with all the eye-candy settings turned
off. But i have noticed some interesting extra settings in the Direct3D
page with the StarStorm drivers under the following heading:

(snip)

Vietcong is NOT an ATI oriented game.
The performance problems have nothing to do with either ATI or Nvidia.

The problems are 100% cpu limitations.

Apparently, either on much older hardware (Geforce 2 MX) or on the
DEMO of vietcong, FOGGING is enabled (limits view distance), which,
believe it or not, causes a syste mwith a GF2 MX (and a 1.5+ ghz CPU)
to perform BETTER than a system with a 9800 Pro or 5900 Ultra and a
Pentium 4 2.4 ghz (!).

Someone reported that they installed the game on a GF2, and fog was
enabled, then they installed it on a newer card and there was no fog
at all-- which killed the performance.

Unfortunately, "fog table emulation" box for the Nvidia cards (as well
as the Table Fog settings for ATI) have NO effect on Vietcong, at ALL.
Rivatuner states that this setting does not affect DX8
applications--of which Vietcong is one. Yet, I've seen other posts
from people saying that checking this box made the performance much
better--which it shouldn't, since this is a DX8 game.

Perhaps it's driver related?
I'll have to experiment on my Ti 4600 someday when I'm bored, with
messing around with a bunch of different driver settings....

writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 09:57 AM
64 benches Ed Light AMD x86-64 Processors 2 April 4th 04 08:16 PM
Vidieo Performance issues Mike Seltenright General 5 December 18th 03 10:04 PM
CATALYST™ Release Notes Version 3.8 Pluvious Ati Videocards 17 October 12th 03 03:40 PM
Help! - The dreaded buffer underrun XPG Cdr 5 August 31st 03 06:27 PM