nVidia GeForce + Linux

Old January 9th 04, 04:50 PM
Juan

Default nVidia GeForce + Linux

Hi.
I'm new to Linux and have installed Linux Fedora (Red Hat).

I've got nvidia geforce 4 mx 64mb video card.
Linux recognizes me the card as a "nvidia Geforce 4" and configure it in
"Device" section of XF86Config with "nv" driver. With this default settings
display in Gnome and KDE works fine. Problem is that i cannot use the
acceleration of the card, so OpenGl games as Chromium and Tuxracer run very
slowly.

I've downloaded and installed nvidia drivers from nvidia.com. I've spend
hours installing it, and i've read the whole READE file that came with the
drivers, but i got no succed in making the acceleration work.

First of all, I've got an 32 bits AMD athlon. When I downloaded drivers from
nvidia.com, I had to chose from IA32, IA64 and AMD64, but there was not an
AMD32 file... I've tried with IA32. (And i dont get any error message during
instalation).

So, I execute the .run file of the nvidia drivers, so the drivers install
ok.
Next, I edit XF86Config file and make the changes the README file says:
I write "nvidia" as driver in "Device" section.
I write "Load "glx"" in "Module" section.
I erase "Load "gri"" and "Load "glcore"" in "Module" section.
that way, XF86Config is propperly configured attempting to the README file.

After these configurations I've experienced that X desktops works fine as
before, but hardware acceleration does not work. OpelGL games get on runnig
very slow.

If I boot the system in runlevel 3 and type startx in the console, screen
turns black and it seems to hang.
If I directly boot in runlevel 5, just before desktop appears, nVidia logo
is shown on the screen.

Now, I don't know what to do to get the geforce acceleration run... i've
searched but goy no info... people in the news seem to make work theyr
nvidia card following the steps I've followed with no succed...

Can anyboy of you help me??

Thanks very much

---

Old January 9th 04, 11:16 PM
The Black Wibble

"Juan" wrote in message ...
[...]
First of all, I've got an 32 bits AMD athlon. When I downloaded drivers from
nvidia.com, I had to chose from IA32, IA64 and AMD64, but there was not an
AMD32 file... I've tried with IA32. (And i dont get any error message during
instalation).

The IA32 version is the right choice.

[...]
If I boot the system in runlevel 3 and type startx in the console, screen
turns black and it seems to hang.
If I directly boot in runlevel 5, just before desktop appears, nVidia logo
is shown on the screen.

There's no need to touch /etc/inittab. Use telinit 3 to go to run level 3 and telinit 5 to go back to run
level 5. There could very well be some level 5 processes that need running before the X server can work
properly, hence it's better to use the telinit command.

Now, I don't know what to do to get the geforce acceleration run... i've
searched but goy no info... people in the news seem to make work theyr
nvidia card following the steps I've followed with no succed...

Can anyboy of you help me??

Thanks very much

The installation was successful and you've set up XF86Config correctly. Possibly the card is horribly slow
anyway - you don't say what kind of MX 64MB card it is. It's not an MX 200 is it?

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe

To email me, replace org.nz with net.nz

Old January 12th 04, 05:47 AM
Ken Zahorec

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:50:48 +0100, Juan wrote:

[...]

First of all I would like to say that I am having the same problem. I also
am running fedora. I have also tried suse 9.0. Now I do believe there is a
problem with the driver on AMD with Geforce 4. I have also successfully
updated the kernel on the suse system and get the same symptoms you
describe. I get nvidia flash screen but no 3d support. GL games run very
slow. I am seeing another problem as well when I switch to terminal
session (ctrl-alt-f2). The terminal session is all goofed up with large
fuzzy font. I have to reboot to recover. Initial black screen when X
starts requires me to kill the X server and let it restart before I can
get a run level 5 login screen. I have reverted back to using the
stock "nv" driver for now with fedora. Don't understand, I have installed
nvidia drivers for some time now had have not had any problems. I
currently believe problem is on AMD platform only. Nvidia needs to fix
this.

I have installed this latest 5328 driver successfully on a suse 9.0
Pentium system w/Geforce 2.

--
Thank you,
Kenneth W. Zahorec

Discover GNU/Linux today and free yourself!

Old January 12th 04, 08:47 AM
Mark A

"The Black Wibble" wrote in message
Ken Zahorec wrote:
[...]

I don't know about Fedora, but on RH9, 3D support for NVIDIA is specifically
not supported.

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhl9_hcl.html
NVIDIA (2D only) -- TNT, TNT2, GeForce 256, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 Go,
GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4

Old January 12th 04, 11:38 AM
The Black Wibble

"Mark A" wrote in message ...
I don't know about Fedora, but on RH9, 3D support for NVIDIA is specifically
not supported.

http://www.redhat.com/software/rhl9_hcl.html
NVIDIA (2D only) -- TNT, TNT2, GeForce 256, GeForce2 GTS, GeForce2 Go,
GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4

That would be referring to the stock nv driver included with the distribution, not nvidia's one from
www.nvidia.com. Anyway, before Fedora I had my graphics card running with acceleration on RH9.

Tony.

Old January 12th 04, 09:11 PM
The Black Wibble

Ken Zahorec wrote:
[...]

Does /var/log/XFree86.0.log offer a clue? See if adding Option "NvAGP"
"1" to Section "Device" in /etc/X11/XF86Config makes a difference.

Tony.

--
3GHz P4 (HT enabled)
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe (15 x 200MHz)
MSI FX5900U-VTD256 (BIOS 4.35.20.22.0)
2x 512MB Kingston PC3500
2x 36.7 SATA WD Raptors
52/32/52 LiteOn CD-Writer
16x Pioneer DVD-120S
Enermax 550W PSU
Windows XP Pro & Linux Fedora Core 1

Old January 25th 04, 04:49 PM
Jan Soldaat

Ken Zahorec wrote:
[...]

The Latest Nividia driver for IA32 works fine on RH9, latest Kernel. You DO
have to compile/build it so the kernel sources must be present. For all the
other problems I'd also suggest rebuilding the driver for your
machine/kernel. (Any software that essential to the machine's functioning
I'd recommend compiling rather than installing from an RPM or .run.)

That plus adding/deleting the entries in XF86Config as mentioned work fine
for me at least.

gluck with that
jan

Old January 25th 04, 05:15 PM
Charles R. Dennett

Ken Zahorec wrote:

[...]

I finally got mine to work. I had the same symptoms - blank screen.
After some digging I finally found the answer (at least for me). I had
to disable the 8xAGP. After I did that, I no longer had a blank screen.
Running glxgears showed a vast increase in frame rate. I also ran
TuxRacer and it worked fine. I just downloaded the file from the nvidia
site and ran it in a shell like the README says. It took care of
everything and I just had to update the XF86Config file.

Oh, my system is RH9

To disable the AGP you add the line:

Option "NvAGP" "0"

to your XF86Config file. It was not clear to me where it should go. I
read in one place where it needed to go in the Device section for the
video card and I read somewhere else it needed to go in the Screen
section. So, I put it in both. This is mentioned in appendix f of the
README.

Here is what my Device and Screen sections look like:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
VideoRam 131072
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP, TV"
Option "NvAGP" "0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "NvAGP" "0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1152x864" " 1024x768" "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Like I said, this worked for me.

Charlie

Old January 27th 04, 06:13 AM
Ken Zahorec

Ken Zahorec wrote:
[...]

OK, Got it working with newly posted driver...
Now it's working for me. Running like a top! No changes required other
than documented in the README. I scrapped the 5328 used the very latest
driver which has recently been updated on the nvidia site (5336-pkg1). All
appears to be working now. Open GL games like Tux Racer and Chromium are
playing great. Thank you Nvidia for posting a driver update! That solved
everything.

They must have addressed the GEForce 4 / Athlon issues in the earlier
version. I am convinced there were issues with Athlon in the earlier 5238
driver. Just move to the latest version 5336.