FX problems. Drivers or hardware?

Old September 14th 03, 10:32 AM
NickNick

Default FX problems. Drivers or hardware?

Please excuse my total ignorance, but are the problems with the FX cards
driver or hardware related. I have always been an "nVidia man" and want to
buy an FX5900. If the problems are driver related, I would be optimistic and
buy the card hoping that future drivers would solve the problems. If the
problems are hardware related, then obviously, drivers will never not solve
the problems. If the latter, I will have to think again regarding what to
buy.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick.

Old September 14th 03, 11:50 AM
Anders Albrechtsen

"NickNick" wrote in message
news
Please excuse my total ignorance, but are the problems with the FX cards
driver or hardware related. I have always been an "nVidia man" and want to
buy an FX5900. If the problems are driver related, I would be optimistic

and
buy the card hoping that future drivers would solve the problems. If the
problems are hardware related, then obviously, drivers will never not

solve
the problems. If the latter, I will have to think again regarding what to
buy.
Thanks in advance for any help.

If you're referring to DirectX 9 performance the problems are related to the
hardware implementation. Judging frm the recent benchmarks it seem the
GeForceFX cards are not able to run full precision Pixelshader 2.0 effects
nearly as fast as ATI's Radeon R3xxx and RV3xx cards. I'm sure nVidia are
able to improve performance somewhat, but driver updates alone cannot make
up for a faulty design.
---
Anders

Old September 14th 03, 12:04 PM
ginfest

"NickNick" skrev i meddelandet
news
Please excuse my total ignorance, but are the problems with the FX cards
driver or hardware related. I have always been an "nVidia man" and want

buy an FX5900. If the problems are driver related, I would be optimistic

and
buy the card hoping that future drivers would solve the problems. If the
problems are hardware related, then obviously, drivers will never not

solve
the problems. If the latter, I will have to think again regarding what

buy.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick.

There are a bunch of "NV Haters" on the web, as stated on Rage3D many times
they feel they owe NV/NV owners for some percieved slights when NV was in
the drivers seat with thier hw. These people have been going on and on for
months and this HL2 stuff has really caused an overload of criticism.
Take NV News website for example-the site is flooded with ATI card owners
just ripping NV to shreds, not in the ATI Card section, but in the NV Card
section-total BS-they work on the "squeaky wheel" principle-I'd be very wary
of what is said as truth-unfortunately I get to read many fora every day and
see the same screen names on multiple sites with the same comments-makes one
wonder where the objectivity is?
I have both cards and there is more to the story than what is written on the
web-
ex: Hl2 benches show NV losing
5x.xx series of drvs said to fix problems
Driverheaven(ATI supported) site says 5x.xx drvs suck
and on and on.
Wait 'til the dust settles.

---

Old September 14th 03, 01:11 PM
ho alexandre

NickNick wrote:
If the problems are driver related, I would be optimistic and
buy the card hoping that future drivers would solve the problems. If the
problems are hardware related, then obviously, drivers will never not solve
the problems.

no one knows apart from nVidia.

--
XandreX
/I'm that kind of people your parents warned you about/

Old September 14th 03, 02:43 PM
chainbreaker

NickNick wrote:
Please excuse my total ignorance, but are the problems with the FX
cards driver or hardware related. I have always been an "nVidia man"
and want to buy an FX5900. If the problems are driver related, I
would be optimistic and buy the card hoping that future drivers would
solve the problems. If the problems are hardware related, then
obviously, drivers will never not solve the problems. If the latter,
I will have to think again regarding what to buy.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Nick.

Who knows, I'm past believing any damn thing ATI, nVidia, or any of the
bought-off, agenda pumping online reviewers say. Looks to me like
everybody's in bed with somebody and you can't believe anybody. If some
third party could come up with anything close, I'd buy from them and screw
both ATI and nVidia.

--
chainbreaker

Old September 14th 03, 06:20 PM
ho alexandre

chainbreaker wrote:
If some third party could come up with anything close, I'd buy from
them and screw both ATI and nVidia.

You still have the Kyro II and the Parhelia )))

Old September 15th 03, 12:01 AM
chainbreaker

ho alexandre wrote:
chainbreaker wrote:
If some third party could come up with anything close, I'd buy from
them and screw both ATI and nVidia.

You still have the Kyro II and the Parhelia )))

A joker in every crowd. :-)

--
chainbreaker