Powercolor Radeon 9600PRO - opinions?

Old November 12th 03, 11:48 PM
MheAd

Default Powercolor Radeon 9600PRO - opinions?

Hello!

I'm planning to buy a new graphic card and it will probably be a Radeon
9600PRO with 128MB ddram.
In recent few weeks, I've noticed that Powercolor-manifactured cards have
become really, and I mean REALLY cheap around here (I live in Stockholm,
Sweden), so I was wondering if you have any special opinions/experiences
with Powercolor-cards? Are they good?

Speaking about Radeon 9600PRO cards in general - are they really good as
many people claim? I don't know so much about them, because I've always been
a nVidia-man :-) . If I buy one of these, will this card be enough for
playing all latest games on highest detail ?

Thanks in advance!
MheAd, Sweden

Old November 13th 03, 12:34 AM
Cristián Pérez V.

I have the powercolor radeon 9600 pro 128 mb since august, and so far it´s
been perfect!!! I can play all the newest games without any problem.
Initially I bought the nvidia fx5200 ... a big piece of crap!!, so I
returned it, and I changed it by the powercolor (even thou was expensier).
No regrets.

It has the the memory of 2,8 ns (samsung), so you don't have any problem
with the overclocking. In fact at this moment I have an o/c of
400/300@500/340 stable and without any mod of the card (just stock).

It´s a great card with fine components and good price. I live in Santiago,
Chile and this card is completely out of stock, every time it hits the
stores shelves, the stock only last just few days. It´s a very good
commented card in the local forums.

Warning : Don't buy the 9600 pro EZ nor the 9600 pro 256 mb, cause they have
a slower clocks. Only the 9600 pro 128 mb (core 400 mhz / memory 300 mhz).

Old November 13th 03, 02:42 PM
MheAd

Warning : Don't buy the 9600 pro EZ nor the 9600 pro 256 mb, cause they
have
a slower clocks. Only the 9600 pro 128 mb (core 400 mhz / memory 300 mhz).

Really? The Powercolor Radeons that I've seen around here (both 9600pro 128
and 256mb versions) seem to have core 400 mhz / memory 400 mhz.

Old November 13th 03, 05:39 PM
Cristián Pérez V.

Look at the spec of each card in

www.power-color.com

Remeber when you read "core 400 mhz / memory 400 mhz" it means 400/(200x2),
so the radeon 9600 pro 128 mb regular (not EZ), should be 400/600 (300x2).
The EZ and the 256 mb have the slowest clocks memory, just 200 mhz instead
the 300 mhz of the regular one.

The good one is the regular radeon 9600 pro 128 mb.

You can see a lot of information about this card in the forum of ATI in
www.guru3d.com.

regards

Cristian

Old November 14th 03, 01:10 AM
Cristián Pérez V.

The powercolor 9600 pro bravo edition is the best of the class, because it
has better cooling and the stock clocks are 400/337.

See the specs in www.power-color.com

I guess that powercolor (or another manufacturer) should launch the 9600 XT
very soon, so you could wait in order to make the right choice.