Got a Sapphire 9200SE or 9600Pro?

Old November 4th 03, 11:03 AM
Martin R

Default Got a Sapphire 9200SE or 9600Pro?

I'm thinking of buying either a Sapphire Radeon 9200SE or a Sapphire
Atlantis Radeon 9600Pro. I want a quiet card with good 2d performance,
as I plan on using Painter/Photoshop in 1600x1200 most of the time.

My questions a

1. Is the 9600Pro fan noisy? (The computer I have now is almost
completely quiet).

2. How good is the 9200SE at 2d?

The following review:
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...apphire-4.html

says that the 9200SE shows excellent quality at 1600x1200x75Hz,
while a 9800 PRO shows excellent quality at 1600x1200x85Hz.
Will there be a difference in 2d performance depending on whether
I buy a 9200SE or a 9600Pro?

/Martin
Old November 4th 03, 03:11 PM
Vellu

Can't really say anything about 2D qualities/performance, but have you
considered 9600SE? It also has no fan, and is sure to be faster in 3D then
9200SE (9600 series fully DX9 compliant).

om...

Old November 4th 03, 03:22 PM
Uncle Pete

Martin R wrote:
I'm thinking of buying either a Sapphire Radeon 9200SE or a Sapphire
Atlantis Radeon 9600Pro. I want a quiet card with good 2d performance,
as I plan on using Painter/Photoshop in 1600x1200 most of the time.

My questions a

1. Is the 9600Pro fan noisy? (The computer I have now is almost
completely quiet).

Hi Martin,

I have a Sapphire 9000 Pro card and its fan was the nosiest part of the
system, so I had to remove the fan and install a bigger heatsink
(Zalman's) and a slow big fan nearby. I had a chance to compare this
card directly with Matrox Millenium G450 (famous for its 2D quality) and
the 2D quality is only a little worse at high refresh rates (but Matrox
has awfully functioning multimedia features). Now I use this Sapphire
card with a Philips 109P4 19" monitor at 1152x864@100 Hz and the picture
is almost as sharp as on LCD's (it is even sharper at 85 Hz, but I
prefer higher refresh rates).

I don't understand why you consider so different cards - one of the
lowest budget type and one much more expensive. Take a look at 9200
(withous SE). And remember, at such a high resolution and refresh rate,
you have to have a good cable between your PC and monitor.

Best wishes,

Piotr