Problems installing new drivers - help!

Old June 25th 03, 02:59 AM
Jamie Parker

Default Problems installing new drivers - help!

I went to the www.ati.com page today to download the new Catalyst 3.5
drivers for my Radeon 9700 Pro. I downloaded both the Display Driver file
and the ATI Control Panel file to my desktop.

I had deleted my old ATI drivers and ATI control panel under Add/Remove
Programs, rebooted, and was ready to install the new drivers.

I double click on the Display Driver file Icon on my desktop to open its
InstallShield Wizard, I click NEXT, the program zips by on my screen...and
then nothing. I'm left at the Desktop with a InstallShield program bar on
the taskbar at the bottom of the screen, but clicking it does nothing. It
almost seems like the install program might be running in the background,
but I sat there staring at my screen for a half hour, and still nothing.

Basically, it seems like the InstallShield Wizard program just hangs up
right after I run it.

I've tried this multiple times, with the same results. And I've disabled
everything in the system tray (including my antivirus program) before trying
to install the drivers, so I don't think there's anything else running that
might cause a conflict. CTRL-ALT-DELETE shows the InstallShield as the only
process running (but if it's running, it's not doing anything).

Any suggestions?

My system:

Pent IV 2.66 GHz

1 GB Memory

ATI Radeon 9700 Pro videocard

Old June 25th 03, 08:26 AM
patrickp

"Jamie Parker" wrote in message
[...]

Some people seem to be having problems with their InstallShield
installation. I _think_ I've solved mine with a visit to
http://consumer.installshield.com/.

patrickp

Old June 25th 03, 01:47 PM
Tom Salvin

Go to device manager and open Display devices, open that and click on the
display adapter, highlight it and choose properties, then driver, then
update driver. When you get to display devices, choose display all devices
and choose standard pci display device (vga). Say ok and reboot and try
reinstalling from there. It's late and I'm not sure I named everything
exactly correct, but that should work. The main idea is from device manager
change the driver to the standard pci adapter (vga) otherwise it still
thinks your old drivers are present. Hope this works.

Old June 25th 03, 10:17 PM
Tom Salvin

Sorry, I am wrong. In XP you don't get the option to install the Standard
PCI adapter. Will look into it and I hope someone or I stumble onto it
without resorting to installing an old PCI card and let XP try to set it up!