v9980 vid card how do i get tv and security camera signals into card?

Old December 1st 04, 05:34 PM
mike6

Default v9980 vid card how do i get tv and security camera signals into card?

hi there

like i said i have the V9980 ultra vid card and want too put
my cable tv, and my security camera signals into it so i can watch tv
and monitor the security cameras. i the security cameras are going to
a multiplexer and video recorder so i have several outputs. But where
do they go into the vid card? cable tv just goes too the tv.

Old December 2nd 04, 12:05 AM
Paul

In article , mike6
wrote:

hi there

like i said i have the V9980 ultra vid card and want too put
my cable tv, and my security camera signals into it so i can watch tv
and monitor the security cameras. i the security cameras are going to
a multiplexer and video recorder so i have several outputs. But where
do they go into the vid card? cable tv just goes too the tv.

The Asus product information is sorely lacking.

If I were you, I'd start by checking the software interface
for the video card. Does it offer the option for more than
one video input ? My expectation is, the hardware can only
digitize one video input at a time, and the video breakout
box on the product may in fact, only support one video
source at a time (i.e. you may not be able to plug more
than one video input device into the breakout box at the same
time.)

The card appears to use an "Asus AV adapter", and I think this
is the same one as depicted on page 9 of

http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/vga/...1145_v8460.pdf (3.7MB)

Treat the rest of this post as speculation ---

This is a breakout box, with four connectors on the front and
a cable with 9 pins that plugs into the video card. I have no
info at all on the 9 pin possible pinout (the connector on the
video card).

On the front of the breakout box, the connectors are

S-VIN In Composite S-VID Out Composite
(DIN Input (RCA (DIN Output (RCA
connector) connector) connector) connector)
___ ___
x x x / \ x x / \
x x x x | x | x x | x |
\___/ \___/
[ ] [ ]

The picture at the very bottom of this page, shows a possible pinout.

http://www.weethet.nl/english/video_connect_pc2tv.php

___ ___
Cr - Lu / \ Cr Lu / \
G C G G | x | G G | x |
\___/ \___/
[ ] [ ]

There are a couple of video standards involved here.
The leftmost connector actually has two interfaces on it,
the four pin S-VID interface (Ground,Cr,Lu,Ground) and the
two pin composite interface (Composite,Ground).

There is the higher quality S-VID standard, and there is the
older composite (baseband) video. The S-VID has separate
Chrominance (color) and Luminance (intensity). Apparently, it
is possible to connect a composite video signal, to the
Chrominance by itself, and still get the signal to work.
Based on that observation, the breakout box could have the
Cr (Chronminance), the C (composite), and the center pin
of the RCA connector, connected together. That is why, you
should use only one video input, unless there is some evidence
in the control panel for the Asus software, that the inputs
are truly separate. If you own a multimeter, you might do some
investigation that way, to determine how the breakout box is
wired.

The pinout of the left connector is not, as far as I can find
with a search engine, standardized. The outside four pins are
standard, but the three in the center are not. For example,
I have a 7 pin to composite _output_ adapter that I got with
an ATI video card, and the composite output signal is actually
on the pin labelled "-" above.

I have a separate adapter plug I bought at a TV/stereo store,
and it converts S-VID to composite. With an ohmmeter, I can
see how the Cr pin on the DIN on the left above, gets connected
to the center pin of the RCA connector.

So, to start with, have a look at the software and see if
the software interface offers any info about the capabilities
of the breakout box. My expectation is, at best the breakout
box offers multiplexing only, and at worst it offers only
one input and one output device connected at a time. In
any case, I don't expect you'll be simultaneously looking
at the security cameras and the cable television at the
same time - unless you purchase a separate TV/video digitizer
card to simultaneously digitize a second signal.

HTH,
Paul