Totally confussed - A7V333

Old July 6th 04, 04:22 PM
Bob

Default Totally confussed - A7V333

The motherboard I was using on my second box got fried in a thunderstorm
last week and a mate has given my an Asus A7V333 that he had spare as a
replacement. It's got rev 1.04 etched on the board, other than that I
haven't a clue what BIOS version or anything as I haven't installed it yet.

I'd like to upgrade my CPU as it's just a plane Athlon 1 GHz but I haven't
a clue what this board will support. The Asus support website seems to
think that a Athlon XP 2600+(266FSB)(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) is supported on
board ver 1.01 with BIOS 1012. However I can't find any of these CPU's...

All I can seem to find are AMD ATHLON XP2600+ 333MHZ FSB 256Cache -
Thoroughbred CPU (http://makeashorterlink.com/?E2C162CB8). Can anyone tell
me if this will work with this motherboard or not...?

Thanks,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
Old July 6th 04, 04:46 PM
Harry

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 16:22:46 +0100, Bob wrote:

The motherboard I was using on my second box got fried in a thunderstorm
last week and a mate has given my an Asus A7V333 that he had spare as a
replacement. It's got rev 1.04 etched on the board, other than that I
haven't a clue what BIOS version or anything as I haven't installed it yet.

I'd like to upgrade my CPU as it's just a plane Athlon 1 GHz but I haven't
a clue what this board will support. The Asus support website seems to
think that a Athlon XP 2600+(266FSB)(Model 8)(Thoroughbred) is supported on
board ver 1.01 with BIOS 1012. However I can't find any of these CPU's...

All I can seem to find are AMD ATHLON XP2600+ 333MHZ FSB 256Cache -
Thoroughbred CPU (http://makeashorterlink.com/?E2C162CB8). Can anyone tell
me if this will work with this motherboard or not...?

Thanks,

No the 333Mhz processors wont work on this board. You need version 2.0
of the board for it to accept these. You need to stick with 266Mhz CPU
processors Im afraid.

HTH

Harry
Old July 6th 04, 05:08 PM
Bob

Harry wrote:

[snipped...]

No the 333Mhz processors wont work on this board. You need version 2.0
of the board for it to accept these. You need to stick with 266Mhz CPU
processors Im afraid.

In that case I can see that there are two different cores I could use,
Thoroughbred and Thornton. What's the difference...? I can get hold of
the AthlonXP 2400+ in either quite easily.

Thanks,

Old July 6th 04, 07:38 PM
Egil Solberg

Ed wrote:

IIRC, Thortons have less L2 cache.
T-bred - 256K L2
Barton 512 L2
Thorton - ? 128 or 64K L2 ?

I believe ThorTon (ThoroughbredBarton) has 256KB L2. It is a Barton crippled
so that it resembles a T-bred.